Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two Takagis here, one each for downstairs and upstairs. No problems ever, ~10 years. Great for earthquake country ... No worries about tank falling over and starting a fire.

Only drawback is no hot water if electricity is out. Minor drawback is no hot water lingering in the pipes. Takes about one minute for hot water at most taps in the house.

I just found out that pushing the button on the HPWC handle opens the charge port. Even when the S is locked and no key fob around. Is it a new feature?

How does the HWPC know which S to unlock? What if you have 2 Model S's, will both charge ports open when the button is pushed?

The charge port should not unlock if the car is locked and the fob is not nearby.

If an HPWC or UMC is near multiple unlocked model S's, all of the cars in range will open their charge ports. There was a video posted of this happening at a service center back in Feb/March. I'll see if I can find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I have a brand new, in the box HPWC that I traded in at the service center yesterday in Seattle with an old one, this new one came with the new fuses installed for full 80A charging. I am selling because my plans have changed, I have a Tesla and a Nissan Leaf and have decided I want high power charging outside instead of inside (I already have 40A charging in my garage which is quite adequate most of the time for either car). Instead I am putting in an outdoor rated Clipper Creek CS 100 and making it available for plugshare, seeing that it is compatible with virtually any EV and is future proofed for me for when my Leaf lease runs out in 2015.
$1,000 OBO
PM if interested!

The charge port should not unlock if the car is locked and the fob is not nearby.

If an HPWC or UMC is near multiple unlocked model S's when the button is pressed all of the cars in range will open their charge ports. There was a video posted of this happening at a service center back in Feb/March. I'll see if I can find it.

I got a call today from the local service center. While they have my fuses in stock, either a) a ranger must install them, or b) I need to provide them with a copy of an electrician's license for the electrician who will be installing them. So if you planned to do the job yourself, I hope you know an electrician. :)

I got a call today from the local service center. While they have my fuses in stock, either a) a ranger must install them, or b) I need to provide them with a copy of an electrician's license for the electrician who will be installing them. So if you planned to do the job yourself, I hope you know an electrician. :)

Does this imply that all rangers are electricians? :)

No, but I think it's crazy they won't let me replace the fuses, given how simple it is. I guess I understand, one loose nut and you'll melt the HPWC, but still... Pat was out today and I'm now upgraded to full 80 amp potential.
Well, I can understand their concern - after all, they don't know you from Adam. If you didn't turn off the breaker and got electrocuted, you might have grounds for a lawsuit. I don't blame them at all for covering their @$$..

Well, I can understand their concern - after all, they don't know you from Adam. If you didn't turn off the breaker and got electrocuted, you might have grounds for a lawsuit. I don't blame them at all for covering their @$$..

The service center knows that I installed it myself and that I'm capable. But "corporate policy dictates", as I was told...

I have held out on installing my HPWC (still in original package) in hopes of exchanging it for a new unit. Impatient to hear automatically from Tesla, I called ownership in Palo Alto who opened a case in Menlo Park SC. I talked to the SC by phone and they said they just started getting fuses in and had "1500-2000" units in the area to get through but I'm "on the list" and that a Ranger would have to come to my house eventually. I said I can of course wait my turn but offered to do the exchange (or even have them do a fuse replacement) by me bringing in my uninstalled unit to avoid the drama of a Ranger trying to find my house (most people never make it), but they were adamant that a Ranger come out and do it when the time comes. Why so difficult to do this?

If you don't torque the bolts properly, 80A is enough current to melt and burn a lot of stuff. I can understand their company policy limiting it to trained individuals.

Well yes, but that wasn't my question. Why can't ranger or service tech do it at their site, or exchange it, if I bring in my uninstalled HPWC? In any case I have since found a blog posting of someone in my same position where they did an exchange, so I'll use that as precedent. I can report back the outcome.

Charging at 80A is some hot stuff.

IR_0122.jpg
IR_0123.jpg
IR_0124.jpg
IR_0125.jpg