Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S in London

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
16-11-2012 11-19-06.jpg
16-11-2012 11-19-33.jpg

The car had apparently started out at Luton Airport that morning, and picked up Elon at Heathrow on the way to Oxford. Not clear how it had got to Luton in the first place (flying it there seems unlikely...).

The tesla rep standing by the car confirmed that it was essentially a US-spec model with minor tweaks to pass single-car approval in Germany; he mentioned (without prompting!) that it didn't have 3-phase charging but that production cars would.

The car had apparently started out at Luton Airport that morning, and picked up Elon at Heathrow on the way to Oxford. Not clear how it had got to Luton in the first place (flying it there seems unlikely...).

The tesla rep standing by the car confirmed that it was essentially a US-spec model with minor tweaks to pass single-car approval in Germany; he mentioned (without prompting!) that it didn't have 3-phase charging but that production cars would.
Haha, I like the 3-phase part. They feel the hot breath in their necks :)

Strikes me as odd that they went to London with a Model S. Right hand drive production won't be before the end of 2013 I think (if it started by then).

Maybe the car was there just for Elon's talk?

Strikes me as odd that they went to London with a Model S. Right hand drive production won't be before the end of 2013 I think (if it started by then).

Maybe the car was there just for Elon's talk?

I was told in August that the first batch of 500 right hand drive vehicles would be manufactured at the beginning of the second quarter 2013.
Maybe the time-line is a bit later now but should still start sometime second quarter.