Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S in rough neighborhoods

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I frequently drive in what many consider a bad neighborhood-parts of Oakland around Fruitvale and International Blvd. I drive the streets and park my P85D with zero concern. First, I've been in these areas enough that I know that a bad neighborhood is usually full of good people. If you happen upon the one gang member trying to earn his way in, then it was just an unlucky day. It could happen anywhere. I worry more about people driving while texting than me driving my Tesla in a bad area.

Thank you for this post.

Reactions: Eclectic
Lol I actually have work in each of those areas.

North is no problem. Pretty a fluent area and will be there the most but only in the day.

West I park in an underground area so the car is secure and theres a main road leading to the expressway. Some characters on it but should be ok.

The south is a new site for me and I'll have to park in an open lot. This site is more exposed to the neighborhood and the route out a bit more sketchy.

Overall I think as long as I'm vigilant and use some common sense like I do anyway just driving a nicer car shouldnt change much.

Again it really depends where you are you going to be located and where the car will be parked. I am frequently at the Univ of Chicago, and during the day there is no issue on campus, however the later at night and the further away you get from the heart of the campus, the more chance the any car may be broken into. If you are not going to be on the south side at night, there is no real issue, unless you are in the high crime areas such as south of 63rd.

In the rougher area of the west side I didn't think I was going to be robbed or my car broken into, but several years ago, around 2011 or so my car was keyed across two doors in the middle of the day right off of a main street (Not a Tesla).