Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S in two showrooms this coming weekend

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing us geeks on this forum doesn't realize is that the Model S, and EVs in general, is not mainstream knowledge just yet. So one gratifying thing with stopping by Santana Row yesterday was to listen to, and observe, people's reactions when the staff tells them exactly what they're looking at. Just a beautiful collection of aha-moments to get one through the next 12 months. :)

Yeah, felt the same last weekend at the Menlo store where some well-heeled (and definitely not geekish) folks were posing the same kind of questions to come to grips with something that they had never seen in their 30/40+ years of motoring :) I wonder what we - today's geeks - will be bemused by 20/30 years from now ;-)

Yeah, felt the same last weekend at the Menlo store where some well-heeled (and definitely not geekish) folks were posing the same kind of questions to come to grips with something that they had never seen in their 30/40+ years of motoring :) I wonder what we - today's geeks - will be bemused by 20/30 years from now ;-)

Where's the wheels? It tele-whats? Instant? No way.

One I just noticed watching the video again, was the front fog lights are directional. When the wheels are turned to the left, a second light comes on, then when the wheels are to the right, it turns off an another one comes on the right side.
I think I saw what you were looking at, but it didn't appear to be the fog lights. Instead, it appeared to me that there is an additional light above the fog lights that goes on when the wheel is turned past a certain degree. If it wasn't a trick of the camera, that would be really cool. I was hoping for directional headlights, but a solution like this would be an excellent way to accomplish the same end without the complexity of actually rotating the headlights.

I think I saw what you were looking at, but it didn't appear to be the fog lights. Instead, it appeared to me that there is an additional light above the fog lights that goes on when the wheel is turned past a certain degree. If it wasn't a trick of the camera, that would be really cool. I was hoping for directional headlights, but a solution like this would be an excellent way to accomplish the same end without the complexity of actually rotating the headlights.
I believe msot E-series Merc's does this, though I think they use one of the foglights to accomplish this. After all even the Skoda Superb has this as an option now. I'm guessing the logic is from Mercedes?

Cobos

My BMW also does this. It has turning lamps which come on at slow speeds to facilitate turning and also has headlights that turn with the car at higher speeds . Overall the lighting in my BMW is FANTASTIC !!! Better than any other car I have owned to date. I am sure that is what Tesla is accomplishing here as well.

I believe msot E-series Merc's does this, though I think they use one of the foglights to accomplish this. After all even the Skoda Superb has this as an option now. I'm guessing the logic is from Mercedes?

Cobos

Yes you are right but since Mercedes has unfortunately been refreshing their line up with LEDs to replace the fog lights at the bottom that function obviously no longer exists. I have yet to observe if the main headlight cluster does something in absence of the incandescent fog lights.

Yes you are right but since Mercedes has unfortunately been refreshing their line up with LEDs to replace the fog lights at the bottom that function obviously no longer exists. I have yet to observe if the main headlight cluster does something in absence of the incandescent fog lights.

We recently traded the S5 for an A6 and it has this. It does work with the LED lights though. What they do is similar: turn on a side light when you're turning.

Cobos

Don't all cars with fog lights have this by now? My VW Golf TDI also has this (Skoda is a VW brand). It's helpful when pulling in/out of the driveway, but it does not work when the road curves, only at actual turns.

td_logo_top.jpg
la_1.jpg
textla.jpg

event.jpg

See the Model S Beta on display.

The Beta version is a 90% production intent prototype of the Model S.
Tesla Los Angeles
October 22nd | 10am to 6pm
October 23rd | 12pm to 5pm

Last edited: