Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S is long in the tooth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"The 3 has just too much road noise"

I realize everyone has different tolerances and different road construction, but I don't find that to be the case.
I would get a 3 and put some dynamat in and change out tires if need be.

I don’t know if is too loud but it is quite a bit louder than an Eplus Leaf. We test drove the two a couple days apart and it was quite noticeable. I’m not sure it would be a show stopper but it is a louder car. From what I gather there are kits available to quiet it down.

I don’t know if is too loud but it is quite a bit louder than an Eplus Leaf. We test drove the two a couple days apart and it was quite noticeable. I’m not sure it would be a show stopper but it is a louder car. From what I gather there are kits available to quiet it down.

Here is a video on doing exactly that. It would be nice if Tesla did step it up on the sound proofing. I find my MS with air suspension and good tires to be quite quiet.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I thought the residential glass units use 2 panes of glass with inert gas between. No laminated plastic

Over here we have a few different kinds, the sound dampening one is 2 glass panes with plastic inbetween. The one you are talking about sounds like the kind we use when we have 3-pane glass, it is not as good at dampening sound but still does a lot. I had the plastic inbetween kind installed in my apartment for some rooms and it it very different from the 3 pane kind.

Over here we have a few different kinds, the sound dampening one is 2 glass panes with plastic inbetween. The one you are talking about sounds like the kind we use when we have 3-pane glass, it is not as good at dampening sound but still does a lot. I had the plastic inbetween kind installed in my apartment for some rooms and it it very different from the 3 pane kind.

Interesting. My parents had sound insulating windows installed in their home by the airport authority (new runway) and those windows were 2 panes with gas between. I guess there are different versions available.

Did you test a 3 with 18 or 19" wheels? tires make a huge difference with noise. I drove a buddy's 3 with 18" wheels and didn't seem bad at all. I know that the summer rubber they put on the 21" S wheels is very noisy compared to the 19" all-seasons. One reason I did not want the 21's.

I stand corrected - it seems they are being reintroduced after many years. Makes me wonder how they get the seal right and keep noise down, and open/close the door without feeling clunky. Though the only ones that have this are low volume "sport" niche vehicles where noise may not be as much of a concern - you don't see these on the volume models, like the S/E class sedans, A6/8, 5/7 series, Lexus LS, etc.

I have an Audi RS7 as well with frameless windows and it is night and day compared to the Tesla.

Did you test a 3 with 18 or 19" wheels? tires make a huge difference with noise. I drove a buddy's 3 with 18" wheels and didn't seem bad at all. I know that the summer rubber they put on the 21" S wheels is very noisy compared to the 19" all-seasons. One reason I did not want the 21's.

It had the 19’s with the nice rims. We’ve done a few test drives actually but I don’t think any had the 18’s and Aeros. Great car though even if it was louder.