Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S LED Headlights Poor ratings - likely same for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For that matter, I hope they make truly automatic headlights standard on the Model 3. I can't tell you how many people I see driving around in the pitch black of night with just their DRLs, or no lights at all on. Allow a manual override of the headlights, but if it's dark outside, the default setting is "on" regardless of driver involvement.

The new LED headlights received a disappointing "Poor" ratings.
Since Model 3 headlights are of a similar and simpler design, I don't expect Model 3 to fare any better in this category.

Since Tesla knows of the issue, I don't expect the 3 to have the same problems.

There. Now we've both made claims without having any knowledge whatsoever on what's actually going on with the design and supplier.

I have to agree with @JeffK and @alseTrick

Tesla is a company that thrives on tackling "real" issues and if experts in industry highlight weaknesses in a Tesla design - you bet they will fix it. This is essentially others spending their own money to discover weaknesses in a commercial product - from Tesla's perspective this is engineering improvement feedback they have received for "free" whereas they usually have to spend valuable resources to discover for themselves.

Tesla will be very quick to fix Model S and as for Model 3, it is almost guaranteed to be done right. Generally speaking, from a "normal" product engineering point of view, there is a huge risk in selling hardware with known issues especially when the public is aware the issues exist. And Tesla is way ahead of the rest so quite certain they will fix it correctly - so there you go, a brief explanation in support of my claim.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpiceWare and JeffK
The fact the the S lights were rated as poor almost guarantees that the Model 3 will be improved. Tesla wants all of their vehicles to exceed all safety standards and will not safety handicap a car because it is a lower cost vehicle. They will do what they can to make sure the Model 3 comes in at 5 star rating across the board.

The fact the the S lights were rated as poor almost guarantees that the Model 3 will be improved.

If I understand the timing correctly, the IIHS rating of the Model S headlights as "Poor" occurred after the "Pencils Down" on M3 and after the 300 shipsets of supplier parts for the M3 had been ordered. I'm unclear how nimble Tesla's design and supply chain is but I'm concerned they missed the boat for improvement in time for production start of M3 which according to Tesla could start as early as five months from now.
But hey, none of the Beta M3 prototypes have been spotted yet, so who knows maybe they improved the headlights ahead of the IIHS testing.;)

If I understand the timing correctly, the IIHS rating of the Model S headlights as "Poor" occurred after the "Pencils Down" on M3 and after the 300 shipsets of supplier parts for the M3 had been ordered. I'm unclear how nimble Tesla's design and supply chain is but I'm concerned they missed the boat for improvement in time for production start of M3 which according to Tesla could start as early as five months from now.
But hey, none of the Beta M3 prototypes have been spotted yet, so who knows maybe they improved the headlights ahead of the IIHS testing.;)
It's probably important to note that pencils down is not necessarily the final product. It just meant they are not going to add any additional features (think too much hubris).
Modifications to current features such as those that would make the car safer, more reliable, or easier to manufacture would surely still be on the table even up until deliveries start.

The order of parts for as many as 300 vehicles will not see their way into a final delivered product. These are likely for crash testing, reliability testing, etc.

If crash testing reveals a flaw then you'd better believe that the design will change before production, even if it has to cause a delay.

Reactions: Jayc
Have we seen any details picture of the headlight in the model 3? I would think that given the shortcomings revealed by IIHS testing in Jan 2017, they would have time to make some changes so Model 3 doesn't start out being poor. I wonder if they'll also make changes to Model S/X at the same time. I am driving a model S loaner with old HID headlights and they are so much better than my 2017 model S. Honestly, I thought the new model S headlight are OK when I got it, but upon comparison with the older HID, they are really bad.