Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S: New or CPO (long)

Which would you choose?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After much debate, I've finally decided to purchase the model S. Now the difficult decision of New vs CPO. I've picked out the following and will be purchasing or placing and order in the next week. This may be a subject beaten to death... but we need something to read here. Here is my dilemma and my thoughts.

CPO: $60K 2015 P85D (early model year supposedly w/o the + suspension)
New: $82K 75D

Technology: Let it be known that I am a driver. I live in an area w/o heavy traffic and enjoy driving. The 75D would be built w/o Autopilot. The CPO has the tech package with convenience features and Autopilot hardware. The new 75D comes with the premium package which, on the surface, seems nice. I don't live in nor do I plan to move to a cold environment, so heated anything is of no concern. The one feature I would be missing on the CPO vehicle is the Ultra High Fidelity Sound package; that I wish it had. I would enjoy thoughts concerning the perceived technologic advantages (or disadvantages) of the new vs. older vehicle.

Performance: On the surface, this seem like a no brainer, however, I'm not entirely sure I will feel or notice the difference in a 3.2 s vs. a 4.2 s 0-60 on a daily basis (OR will I ?). Other Tesla drivers known to me have indicated the acceleration and torque of the 75D will be plenty. It may help to know that I enjoy torque. My other vehicles include a ZO6 Vette and a BMW diesel, purchased because of fuel efficiency and, well, torque.

Comfort: Both have air suspension. Any thoughts concerning age related air bag concerns?
Seats: I really enjoyed the premium seats in the new 75D. How are they compared to the next generation seats in the older P85D?

Warranty: The CPO will certainly run out sooner than a new purchase. Should that concern me?

Price: The 75D will cost ~ $15K more after the $7500 rebate... no small difference, however if reliability, technological advances and superior build quality are dramatically better in the 2018, it may be worth it. Thoughts?

Depreciation and Resale: Depreciation will be substantial on the 75D. The P85D will certainly continue to depreciate, however 50% of this has already occurred. Resale Is of no concern as I will likely keep whatever we get for at least 5 years. In light of this, depreciation may not be something to consider at all.

Other: The color of the exterior and interior of the P85D is not my first choice, however in light of the value advantage of the P85D, I could live with it... quite comfortably actually.

I've placed my thought here for my personal reflection and your comments. Any and all insight would be appreciated.

JJ

After much debate, I've finally decided to purchase the model S. Now the difficult decision of New vs CPO. I've picked out the following and will be purchasing or placing and order in the next week. This may be a subject beaten to death... but we need something to read here. Here is my dilemma and my thoughts.

Technology: Let it be known that I am a driver. I live in an area w/o heavy traffic and enjoy driving. The 75D would be built w/o Autopilot. The CPO has the tech package with convenience features and Autopilot hardware. The new 75D comes with the premium package which, on the surface, seems nice. I don't live in nor do I plan to move to a cold environment, so heated anything is of no concern. The one feature I would be missing on the CPO vehicle is the Ultra High Fidelity Sound package; that I wish it had. I would enjoy thoughts concerning the perceived technologic advantages (or disadvantages) of the new vs. older vehicle.

Performance: On the surface, this seem like a no brainer, however, I'm not entirely sure I will feel or notice the difference in a 3.2 s vs. a 4.2 s 0-60 on a daily basis (OR will I ?). Other Tesla drivers known to me have indicated the acceleration and torque of the 75D will be plenty. It may help to know that I enjoy torque. My other vehicles include a ZO6 Vette and a BMW diesel, purchased because of fuel efficiency and, well, torque.

Comfort: Both have air suspension. Any thoughts concerning age related air bag concerns?
Seats: I really enjoyed the premium seats in the new 75D. How are they compared to the next generation seats in the older P85D?

Warranty: The CPO will certainly run out sooner than a new purchase. Should that concern me?

Price: The 75D will cost ~ $15K more after the $7500 rebate... no small difference, however if reliability, technological advances and superior build quality are dramatically better in the 2018, it may be worth it. Thoughts?

Depreciation and Resale: Depreciation will be substantial on the 75D. The P85D will certainly continue to depreciate, however 50% of this has already occurred. Resale Is of no concern as I will likely keep whatever we get for at least 5 years. In light of this, depreciation may not be something to consider at all.

Other: The color of the exterior and interior of the P85D is not my first choice, however in light of the value advantage of the P85D, I could live with it... quite comfortably actually.

I've placed my thought here for my personal reflection and your comments. Any and all insight would be appreciated.

JJ

You don’t mention range but they are both rated equally ..having driven both and owned a P85D ...my opinion is P85D there is some adavantage in passing power over the 75D that I’m sure you will appreciate

The biggest difference I see is the whole AP1 vs AP2 option. If you don't think you want AP2 then the next biggest difference is a 4 year newer vehicle. I went through the exact same proposition several months ago; see my signature to see my decision.

And I can tell you the Next Gen seats in my car are extremely comfortable. I nap in them all the time.:cool:

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA

JJ
I went through this mental exercise recently and purchased a 2018 75D. I didn’t feel 60k$ was enough of a savings for a 3 year old car. I felt that the extra 15k$ was worth it. Longer warranty, better seats, MCU2 for great stereo, even the minor detail of better quality trunk carpeting plus the obvious newer autopilot hardware.
I’ve had many BMWs and 4.2 seconds is plenty fast. I’m loving my new 75D.

I think you should go with the 75D, especially considering a 15k difference. I wish I lived in the US.... here in Canada a 75D with autopilot is 115 000$ - tax incentive of only 3k in Quebec so purchase price of 112 000$ plus 15% tax = 128 800$ . Yeah, it's that expensive... so P85D makes more sense at around 80 000$ * 1,15 = 92 000$. That's a difference of around 36 000$. I personally find that it is a big difference... especially considering that the P85D is CPOd and has around 50-60 000 km's. (31 250 to 37 500 miles).

JJ

I think a Model3 performance base model ($64k)should be part of your analysis. Its the cheapest option after 7500 rebate. 0-60 is the same as the P85D handling is better and it has more range. Plus you get the latest tech. Its smaller so if you need the space i understand that could be a deal breaker.

I went through the same process a couple of months ago, and picked the new S75D. One thing you didn't mention was the refreshed front end with the new one. Obviously personal preference, but I really like the new front end compared to the old one.

And yes that $60k sounds almost too good to be true. What's the mileage? When I was looking, any CPO's worth getting would be gone in a day or two. And the photos they would send were not helpful at all in making the decision. Then I started reading the CPO threads in the 'Ordering...' sub-group and that really turned me off on CPO's.

I appreciate the input of all that provided it. The M3P would've been perfect except you can't fit 3 kids in the back comfortably. I will wait 5 years and will eventually get the M3P, but for today, the P85D is mine.

I woke up early this morning and made the required deposit. I've been working with my regional Tesla CPO rep for the past month and he has diligently sent pics of multiple cars. After a thorough review, I couldn't chance waiting another 2 days for the price to fall further. I ended up purchasing my first Tesla for $61K with 13,800 accident free miles on the odo. The vehicle is located 1.5 hours away and I will plan to take delivery next week.

w1600h1200.jpg

85 kWh Performance Model S
All-Wheel Drive Dual Motor
Black Solid Paint
All Glass Panoramic Roof
19" Wheels
Black Next Generation Seats
Piano Black Décor
Black Alcantara Headliner
Carbon Fiber Spoiler
Tesla Red Brake Calipers
Free Supercharging
Dual Chargers
Tech Package with Autopilot
Premium Interior Package
Smart Air Suspension

Two things would've made it perfect: UHFS and 21" wheels.

85 kWh Performance Model S
All-Wheel Drive Dual Motor
Black Solid Paint
All Glass Panoramic Roof
19" Wheels
Black Next Generation Seats
Piano Black Décor
Black Alcantara Headliner
Carbon Fiber Spoiler
Tesla Red Brake Calipers
Free Supercharging
Dual Chargers
Tech Package with Autopilot
Premium Interior Package
Smart Air Suspension

Two things would've made it perfect: UHFS and 21" wheels.

The wheels you can swap out and honestly, you’re not missing much with the upgraded stereo. Aftermarket would be the way to go.

That’s a nice score.

I appreciate all the votes as well as the multiple positive confirmations of a killer deal. I'm looking forward to delivery; likely Thursday.

I do have a question: It has dual chargers. Does this mean I can install two garage outlets and charge in half the time? I don't feel I need to do this but, if I'm going to install outlets, might as well install two if I can use them productively.