Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Say what?

On another thread someone mentioned the idea of a mesh screen (my words) to block out the sun when it's really bright on the panoramic roof, kind of like the screens on the side and back windows on some luxury cars (BMW has them as well as some others) that serve the same purpose. I always thought it was like a built in sun screen for the kids, but probably everyone wants to block the sun when it's right in their eyes. If it could retract lime in the BMW it could do the trick on the Model S.

On another thread someone mentioned the idea of a mesh screen (my words) to block out the sun when it's really bright on the panoramic roof, kind of like the screens on the side and back windows on some luxury cars (BMW has them as well as some others) that serve the same purpose. I always thought it was like a built in sun screen for the kids, but probably everyone wants to block the sun when it's right in their eyes. If it could retract lime in the BMW it could do the trick on the Model S.

Like a sun-shade-kind-of-mesh?

Denying direction change is currently problematic in the Roadster; quickly come to a complete stop or virtual complete stop, switch directions, and then accelerate -- woops, you're still going the old direction! The car seems to be slow to sense that I'm stopped but even if I were above the limit, it's still dangerous for it to leave it in the old setting. The "shift denied" beep and message is also WAY too slow to warn me in these situations).
I've done this twice now, and I know my CA Dan's done it. The first time, I ended up scraping over a steep driveway entrance (thankfully not a curb!). The second time, I was lucky there were no cars or people behind me. I raised it up while I was at the Model S event, too.
If the change gets denied, I think it should put it in neutral so you can't mistakenly accelerate in the wrong direction.

THIS is a very important point. My Roadster has gotten me into trouble several times as a result of "shift denied" situations, one of them being when a very long semi-trailer was headed into my windshield because the driver of said vehicle cut a corner in my direction and didn't notice I was there. The whole delayed "shift denied" thing has to be re-examined by Tesla or it will end up being the point of a lawsuit, imho. It's downright DANGEROUS. Denying me a shift in an emergency situation is unacceptable.

I really want to bring up the most important thing about the Model S that nobody has mentioned. Where's the tow package option? 8^D

My Roadster has gotten me into trouble several times as a result of "shift denied" situations,...

I have had similar heart-in-mouth moments when I was not seen in a parking lot and had a car heading towards me. Not being able to shift as fast as me made for a dead a Tesla and neaarly wet pants. After about 2 years I can now instinctively find the horn quickly (if it happens to be at 9 and 3) Much rather have a faster bootup and electron fast shift speed.

Glad I'm not the only one thinking like that. Though I think 15'' is a bit too little, I would go with 17'' I think.

+1. These thin-profile 19"/21" - probably run-flat too - tires and wheels are a PITA to maintain. You'll have to "baby" them which is not easy around here in NorCal where the highways and roads are mostly crappy (despite no snow in the winters!) and the authorities don't have any money to fix them. 17" would have been perfect.

Here's hoping for Tesla to offer smaller rims and larger tires, or at least to publish some approved options! The 19"-rim all-weathers are tolerable, but really I'd pay extra to get thicker, manufacturer-approved snow and summer tires. You think the roads in NorCal are bad, try upstate NY... I have one road I regularly drive on which has 3" ruts in the over-50-year-old brick...

Here's hoping for Tesla to offer smaller rims and larger tires, or at least to publish some approved options! The 19"-rim all-weathers are tolerable, but really I'd pay extra to get thicker, manufacturer-approved snow and summer tires. You think the roads in NorCal are bad, try upstate NY... I have one road I regularly drive on which has 3" ruts in the over-50-year-old brick...
Anything smaller than the base 19" wheels probably will not clear the calipers.