Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Order & Delivery Tracker - Q1 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am confused with the vin number sequencing with the factory. Are they producing these cars through the sequence of VINs, or is it random?

Our VIN is 52525, finished today, but its impossible to believe that they can get 2000+ vehicles a day.... (with Karmamule's Model S being VIN 50411)

I'm assuming that the VIN is no longer the sequencing number that I thought it originally was.

I am confused with the vin number sequencing with the factory. Are they producing these cars through the sequence of VINs, or is it random?

Our VIN is 52525, finished today, but its impossible to believe that they can get 2000+ vehicles a day.... (with Karmamule's Model S being VIN 50411)

I'm assuming that the VIN is no longer the sequencing number that I thought it originally was.

They are not producing vehicles in VIN sequence. The sequence of production appears to be ordered by other factors such as delivery location, grouping of similar vehicles (RHD vs LHD), etc...

The VIN numbers appear to be assigned sequentially, but that is not how the cars are being produced. I have seen people with 52xxx VINs report their cars are built, but mine with a 48xxx is still in the queue.

Most car makers assign Vin #s as the cars get close to paint/assembly. Pre-assigning at Tesla is a quasi-enigma. It is said that they do it for export purposes to pre-assign for paperwork needed for the exporting steps and to allow for insurance setup by buyers. But then again, some export Vin #s are given out 3 months in advance of actual production. It might be for more reason than just the export documentation.

I am starting to get ticked off by Tesla! I ordered June 11th and confirmed the same day. Others farther than Chicago, about the same specs are either being built or already built and even being delivered. I have contact my DS and nothing but maybe late September. I don't get it, why are people being skipped? At first I thought it was do to the location but now theres no reason I can think of why they would skip me.... anyone have an idea?

Alain,
Update on my VIN 50386. Production Complete today SEP 12. Took 5 days to build. Scheduled for delivery on SEP 24 in Longwood, FL. Hoping for sooner. 12 days to get to FL?
BTW, just curious. How come I can add an anonymous comment to a cell in your spreadsheet and sometimes I cannot. I have been using that method to send you updates, and I see that you have been getting them, but it will not always allow me to enter a comment.

I am starting to get ticked off by Tesla! I ordered June 11th and confirmed the same day. Others farther than Chicago, about the same specs are either being built or already built and even being delivered. I have contact my DS and nothing but maybe late September. I don't get it, why are people being skipped? At first I thought it was do to the location but now theres no reason I can think of why they would skip me.... anyone have an idea?

I sympathize. I ordered in Feb and have been pushed back to November. I have a VIN of 480xx and there are 52xxx vehicles being built. Why issue a VIN if it's not a production sequence number? It makes Tesla look bad.