Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S p85d battery degradation 11 miles in 9000 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought a higher mileage 2015 Model S p85d with 130,000 miles on it.

At the time of purchase 100% range was 240. Over the last 9000 miles that number has been creeping down to now 227 indicating a loss of 13 miles over 9000 miles and 4 months of driving.

This seems like extreme degradation of .5% over 1000 miles or 5% per 10k miles.
What are the thoughts? Is my battery going bad?
How would I know for sure? Is there a specific app that would tell me?

Additional information is that the car will not charge any longer to the green line rated line which is new in the last month. For instance if the green line says 195 miles it will chare to 190 or so.

The reason I ask is because the battery pack is still under warranty, though I am hearing that people are only getting refurb packs now instead of new 90 packs.

Thanks

could be the pack is out of balance. are you using something like SMT or just the dash display? because the dash isn't known for being accurate because you cant see the voltage of each module. If you can see each module then you can see that at 100% one or more packs is at less than 4.95v-4.2v.

try driving till the pack is at about 7-10% (not miles use the damn % setting) then plug in and let it go to 95%. then don't mess with it or check on it with the app just let it sit there for a few hours, then set it to go to 100% and when its charge complete take it for a drive and get it back to >90% before letting it sit and use like normal.

This lag time at 95% should balance the pack and make it get to the real max range.

I have an 11/15 P90D. My battery went down from 284 to 248 in 4 years. They tested it and it through an error code. The replaced the battery with a rebuilt 1st year "90" battery. It started at 247 miles on a full charge. I called and was told a 4 yrear old battery gets replaced with a rebuilt 4 year old battery. I am now down to 238 miles on a full charge. I usuall charge to 220 unless I am taking a trip, which is not often. Also, when they replace a battery your warrantee of 8 years does NOT start over. Just an FYI

Temperature plays a role in estimated range, as well as a balanced battery. Try draining the battery to less than 20 percent. Charge up to 100 a few times in a row. And if ambient temps are above 70F, I bet you recover at least half of that ‘loss’. I also suspect your seller sold you a battery perfectly balanced !