Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Premium Center Console - Only in Black

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But I don't want an apology anyway. All I want is a console that doesn't look ridiculous in my car. Is that really too much to ask?

No, it is not too much to ask. This was clearly advertised at the time of purchase, and we received regular updates as to its pending availability. There is absolutely no question that Tesla has an obligation to follow through on their marketing claims. If they are unable to do so for reasons beyond their control, then I believe they are obligated to make reasonable accommodation. Offering a non-matching product does not qualify as reasonable. The fact that they sent me a link to purchase a Piano Black one week after they were sold out makes everything even more offensive. And before I hear one more person talk about leaving the door open, please listen to this: I do not plan on leaving the door open.

I received a thoughtful email from Krista, who is on the accessories team and the person with whom I've been corresponding since January or February. She not only apologized, but said that this decision was not made lightly because Tesla does not like to disappoint its customers. I appreciated the courtesy. I can't speak to why things ended up the way they did from a customer service standpoint, but it looks like they are learning and probably won't make the same mistakes again.

One of the issues Tesla has to deal with, no doubt, is given their rather low quantities they probably can't source products from top tier suppliers. I'm not excusing the communication side of things, not at all, but I'm sure Tesla faced a lot more challenges with this product than we may ever know.

Amped, I agree with you about Krista. She went out of her way to accommodate me and has responded to my emails. There is only so much that an employee can do if the vendors are not sending the right product.

I'll report back on whether or not this particular low-profile USB 12V adapter works or not. I'm looking at 2 port adapters, because I use an android phone and want to be able to leave an android charging cable plugged in as well. Amazon does have at least one other low-profile, 2 port adapter, but I believe someone on TMC had recommended this one, so I went with it. (I don't believe the recommendation had anything to do with it working with the console.)

The adapter I had referenced in the post excerpted above does work.

I've actually just started a thread, with pictures, on the modification to the dock that I did to allow my wife's iPhone 6 to charge in its case. The beginning of my first post has some general information about the console, how it closes, adapters, etc.
Modifying the Tesla Center Console for phones in cases (Pictures Included)

I don't mean to offend, but what the heck is she apologizing to you for? You're getting exactly what you want, which seems to be a custom made console, with custom stitching. It's those of us that aren't getting what we want, and what we were promised that deserve the apologies.

But I don't want an apology anyway. All I want is a console that doesn't look ridiculous in my car. Is that really too much to ask?

Her email to me was in response to an email I sent to her regarding the situation and how Tesla could have done better. If you correspond with her, she probably would reply to you as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Just how did she go out of her way to accommodate you?

While I can't answer for Gizmo, I did receive a spectacular accommodation, at least in my opinion. I am getting my console with black stitching to match the rest of my mid-2013 interior. All because I asked. I find that remarkable because it would require Tesla to procure an extra set of panels with different stitching. I don't know how many asked for this, but I can't imagine it was many. It was probably a special order item on Tesla's side, and the fact they went to that extra length makes me incredibly happy and satisfied.

I get it that this doesn't mitigate the experiences of others, but I'm obviously only speaking for myself.

Her email to me was in response to an email I sent to her regarding the situation and how Tesla could have done better. If you correspond with her, she probably would reply to you as well.

I've corresponded with Krista quite a bit. Unfortunately pretty much nothing of consequence that she wrote to me wound up being true.

Edit: For example--

On 11/11/2014: "Unfortunately, we do not have an estimated date of delivery for the Front Trunk Mat that will be compatible with the dual motor Model S, however, we should have them available shortly after the new vehicles are being delivered. "

Also on 11/11/2014: "We have also added you to the waitlist for a console with the Obeche Wood Matte décor to match your interior. We estimate the console will become available to those recently added to the list in the spring."

On 04/08/15: "We are currently estimating the console with your décor will be available sometime this spring. Then, we will begin working our way down the waitlist to contact customers to place orders. We will be able to provide better timing information as to when you can expect to receive the link to purchase the console after they have been released."

Last edited:
Just got email with custom link to purchase a piano black console. I was #810 on waitlist for carbon fiber and only recently got the email about "we made the difficult decision to not produce..." So it seems like they are allocating units for those who were on the waitlist(s). Anyone know of a good carbon fiber sticker I can put on it to make it match my trim?

Just got email with custom link to purchase a piano black console. I was #810 on waitlist for carbon fiber and only recently got the email about "we made the difficult decision to not produce..." So it seems like they are allocating units for those who were on the waitlist(s). Anyone know of a good carbon fiber sticker I can put on it to make it match my trim?

Same here; I was #310 on the waitlist. Still not happy but I ordered the Piano Black and will start to look for CF sticky before it arrives.

Edit: Ordered one sheet of this to see how it matches the car--->http://simcarbon.com/black-carbon-fiber-vinyl-wrap-sc/

Last edited:
The "custom link" on mine just goes to the sold out screen on Tesla's site.
At this point, I am willing to take the Piano Black in lieu of nothing, but cannot figure out how to do that.
Tricks, tips, and pointers would all be appreciated.

I have a question for those of you with carbon fiber interiors who are or will be buying the Piano Black console, and then looking to add some sort of carbon fiber sticky to cover the Piano Black. Assuming you are able to find some sort of sticky that looks good, and closely matches the carbon fiber in your car, would you prefer that, or would you prefer a generic replacement cover that had, say, the same leather material that are on the sides of the console? I ask because I'm wondering if it's just the obeche people who would really want something like this, or if the CF people would also prefer that to the CF sticky.

What size did you get from there? Think 1x1 ft sq is enough?

I'm thinking 1sq.ft will be enough but I really just want to see how it matches first; it's worth the $5 to check it out and let others know.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a question for those of you with carbon fiber interiors who are or will be buying the Piano Black console, and then looking to add some sort of carbon fiber sticky to cover the Piano Black. Assuming you are able to find some sort of sticky that looks good, and closely matches the carbon fiber in your car, would you prefer that, or would you prefer a generic replacement cover that had, say, the same leather material that are on the sides of the console? I ask because I'm wondering if it's just the obeche people who would really want something like this, or if the CF people would also prefer that to the CF sticky.

I'll take whatever looks good. Matching the generic black might be easier than matching the cf.

I'd take a generic black plastic or leatherette option over piano black any day. In fact, I don't give a c**p about the obeche at all. It's the mismatched piano black that is so disappointing.