Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Premium Center Console - Only in Black

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No I did not know that! Thanks.

I did think of doing a sharpie thing or something, but I am afraid of making a mess out of it..

Very good review.

I just want to make one point, in case you are not aware of it. You wrote:

--
A few Tesla owners have complained about the esthetics of the storage console. I think it is fine with one exception. I do not like the white stitching on the leather. It stands out as no other stitching on the leather (or faux leather) is white. It simply needs to be black. The esthetics are much improved over my former junk drawer look – even when filled with lots of items on a longer trip.
--

Older cars use black stitching. But the newer cars use white stitching, and Tesla is manufacturing the consoles to match the newer cars.

Some people with older cars are dyeing the stitching black, using shoe polish or other things.

Just wanted to share that information, in case you weren't aware of it.

No I did not know that! Thanks.

No problem.

I did think of doing a sharpie thing or something, but I am afraid of making a mess out of it..

I'd be afraid too.

I think if I was going to have to do it, though, I might opt for the shoe polish approach, since the shoe polish, theoretically, is made to go on leather anyway, and should also be able to be taken off the leather pretty easily. You could probably look into it more, and maybe write to the people that already did it. But yeah, I'd be afraid to take a sharpie to the stitching on mine too!

Here you go. Opened and closed. Had it installed at the service center last year. There is a box of tissues hidden in front of the 2 travel mugs. Plenty of space.

View attachment 79493View attachment 79494

It looks like positionng of cup holders might be on the low side? How do you feel about the placement of cup holder in the console. Is it still kind of a reach down? Or is height and reach good?

It looks like there would be space for sunglasses, wallet, etc in the iPhone compartment. Is that the case?

Yes, there is space for wallet and sunglasses (might have to lay it diagonally).

It looks like positionng of cup holders might be on the low side? How do you feel about the placement of cup holder in the console. Is it still kind of a reach down? Or is height and reach good?

It is a little lower than cupholders in other cars but it's within easy reach. No need for stretching and it seems more stable being low to the floor.

Just got this email from Tesla:

-----------

Dear ....,

We have made the difficult decision to offer only the Piano Black Front Center Consoles on Model S. After thorough and repeated testing, other decor options did not meet our standards for quality and long term durability. We apologize for the wait you have experienced.

We understand you may be disappointed by this development and have questions for the Tesla Team. Hopefully the section below will answer some of these, but please do not hesitate to raise any further concerns with your local Tesla representatives.

Should you wish to, you will be able to purchase the Piano Black Front Center Console via the link below.
We thank you for your patience, understanding, and continued support.

The Tesla Team

Q&A:

Q: Will I receive the Piano Black console for free or at a discount?
A: Unfortunately no. You may purchase at the listed price.

Q: How is Tesla, an innovative company, incapable of providing this accessory in my chosen décor selection?
A: After thorough and repeated testing, the other decor options initially offered were not able to meet our standards for quality and long term durability. We were therefore not prepared to release them to the market.

Q: Will Tesla make available a newly designed Center Console in the near future?
A: Regrettably, we cannot comment on future products.

Q: If Tesla will have a next generation of newly designed Center Console in the future, can I swap out the Piano Black Console to the new one?
A: Regrettably, we cannot comment on future products. The offer to purchase is for the exact product being offered currently. Each Tesla Sales location has a marketing vehicle with an installed Piano Black Front Center Console. We encourage you to visit the showroom to review the physical product if you are unsure about your purchase.

Q: You can produce a rear console with my decor, how is it possible that you still cannot make one for the front?
A: The rear console was developed with all the lessons learned from the front console miss-steps. We have established new processes and taken steps to make sure similar problems do not happen again.

Q: I’m trying to purchase the Piano Black Console on the website, but it is listed as ‘sold out’. Do I need to get on another list to have it prioritized for me?
A: We are getting inventory and fulfilling them as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, we may encounter temporary supply shortages due to the high demand. Please check back on the website periodically for availability.

Center console will ONLY be available in piano black

Just received his email

crm_wordmark_225x30.png
Dear ________,

We have made the difficult decision to offer only the Piano Black Front Center Consoles on Model S. After thorough and repeated testing, other decor options did not meet our standards for quality and long term durability. We apologize for the wait you have experienced.

We understand you may be disappointed by this development and have questions for the Tesla Team. Hopefully the section below will answer some of these, but please do not hesitate to raise any further concerns with your local Tesla representatives.

Should you wish to, you will be able to purchase the Piano Black Front Center Console via the link below.

purchase_400x80.png

The Tesla Team

Q&A:

Q: How is Tesla, an innovative company, incapable of providing this accessory in my chosen décor selection?
A: After thorough and repeated testing, the other decor options initially offered were not able to meet our standards for quality and long term durability. We were therefore not prepared to release them to the market.

Q: Will Tesla make available a newly designed Center Console in the near future?

Q: If Tesla will have a next generation of newly designed Center Console in the future, can I swap out the Piano Black Console to the new one?
A: Regrettably, we cannot comment on future products. The offer to purchase is for the exact product being offered currently. Each Tesla Sales location has a marketing vehicle with an installed Piano Black Front Center Console. We encourage you to visit the showroom to review the physical product if you are unsure about your purchase.

Q: You can produce a rear console with my decor, how is it possible that you still cannot make one for the front?
A: The rear console was developed with all the lessons learned from the front console miss-steps. We have established new processes and taken steps to make sure similar problems do not happen again.

Q: I’m trying to purchase the Piano Black Console on the website, but it is listed as ‘sold out’. Do I need to get on another list to have it prioritized for me?
A: We are getting inventory and fulfilling them as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, we may encounter temporary supply shortages due to the high demand. Please check back on the website periodically for availability.
FooterImage1

Only offering the Piano Black Front Center Consoles

I had been on the wait list for a center console with Obeche wood forever. I just got an email from Tesla:

Dear ...

The Tesla Team

Last edited:

I love how they predicted the responses to this silliness

So those can't be applied to the front console going forward?

Center Console Update

Just got the following from Tesla. I've been on the waiting list for months for a center console in a different trim color. Let the speculation begin as to what is next:

purchase_400x80.png

The Tesla Team

Q&A:

Just got this email from Tesla:

-----------

Dear ....,

We have made the difficult decision to offer only the Piano Black Front Center Consoles on Model S.

I received it too.

I am livid.

I can barely type, I'm so angry.

From day one, before I ordered the car, I knew I wanted the console, and I knew I wanted it to match the decor of the car. There was never any question as to whether it would be available or not--it was just a question of when.

I feel as if Tesla --OWES-- me the center console they said that I could purchase with my car. You can't change the rules of the game after the game has started. That's what Tesla is doing.

i just got the same email. very disappointed as well after being on the wait list for over a year, but i will stop by the SC and check out the piano black and make a decision. :crying:
I went ahead an ordered piano black. Such a FAIL after waiting nearly a year for obeche gloss.

Maybe Evannex can come up with a solution we can attach to the lid in the finish of our choice.