Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Prototype

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone here on TMC seen the film?

I saw the film at Tribecca.

Dan Neil opens and closes the film; one good quote goes something like "Regular cars are like a bittersweet treat, I still love them but I know that I can never own one again."

The quote about Elon loosing his shirt was out of context... on purpose, Dan Neil was quoting others.

See the film if you can, there's a fantastic bit at the beginning where the whole audience gasps, one of those communal, 'Did he really say that?' moments.

I went to the event today ... I may have to go back tomorrow because (long story) I lost the pictures and videos I took.
Tesla's keeping the charging information close to their chests -- I couldn't get much information but I didn't talk to everyone about it.
They estimated 150-200 people came through today. Pretty steady stream of people.
The Model S is smaller than I thought it would be (pretty normal sedan size ... not like big boat 4-door). It's beautiful. But very prototype so really it just tells you about approximate size and what they're able to dream up for design -- and that tells me they're able to build a beautiful car.

Hey cinergi, I guess I missed you. I looked in the parking garage for that orange glow but didn't see one.

The S certainly is beautiful. Seeing it "in the flesh" only increases the desire.

--Woof!

I went to see the Model S prototype this morning in Boston. There were a couple of Roadsters outside, along with the Boston Tesla sales rep Don MacNeil. He's a great guy. I dropped your name, Cinergi, when talking to him (I hope you don't mind). He brought up your "Five Dollar Story" :)

I asked about the status of the Betas, and I heard from one of the people there that the Betas are already in production (with a few of them having already rolled off the line), but the test-driveable Betas won't be out until this December. I didn't think the first Beta would be done until the end of the Summer. Maybe he was mistaken.

Other than that, I couldn't really get any new information about the Model S from the guy I was talking to. I asked about the location of the charge port. The conversation went like this:

Me: So that's where the charge port is, right? (pointing to charge port on the Prototype)
Tesla Rep: Yup. I don't know where it's going to be on the final model, but that's where it is on the prototype.
Me: You don't know, or you can't say?
Tesla Rep: I can't say.

So I don't know where it is, but now I can say that I know someone who knows where it is :)

I also took a few pictures:
Two Tesla Roadsters.jpg

Very Orange Tesla Roadster.jpg

Tesla Model S Prototype.jpg

Last edited:
From: Model S: Designing the Perfect Endurance Athlete | Blog | Tesla Motors

The prototype cars had fantastic-looking light-pipe rear running lights (the lights that are illuminated while not braking). Will the final design retain distinctive rear lighting effects?

Franz: Absolutely. The lighting on the Model S helps produce a distinctive look for Tesla. The “wow” factor should be just as powerful looking head-on in the bright sunlight as it is at night in a rear-view mirror.

So I guess the light pipe tail lights are coming back... maybe that'll make it look less like a mazda (which are nice, but Tesla needs to stand on its own)

Model S prototype coming to South Florida. Here are the details:

Owner Sneak Preview in South Florida:
August 6th / 9am - 12pm

South Florida Open House:
August 6th - August 9th / 10am - 6pm
Tesla South Florida
1949 Tigertail Blvd
Dania Beach, FL 33004

Miami Open House:
August 11th - August 12th / 10am - 7pm
August 13th - August 14th / 10am - 4pm
Wachovia Financial Center
200 South Biscayne Blvd
Miami, FL 33131

I'm not sure how there's a "sneak preview" for owners from 9-12 on Saturday and the "open house" starts at 10 am the same day, but it's great that it's going to be in the store for 4 days, and then even better that it's getting 4 days in downtown Miami. The Wachovia (n.b., shouldn't it be Wells Fargo now?!) Financial Center is the heart of downtown Miami and most of the big law firms, bankers, hedge funds etc. are either in that building or within walking distance of it. Having it there (I presume either in the lobby or just outside) is a great way to garner a lot of publicity with a lot of well-to-do potential Model S buyers.