Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is that once the end of quarter numbers are released - and or possibly at the same time - we will get an interior refresh announcement that will immediately hit production.

I’m also guessing little or no change to the outside of x/s but v3 supercharger compatibility and the current long range becoming the mid range or standard range with v3 compatibility, and a brand new p130 and p130d becoming the long range.

I’m predicting a 1.99 second 0-60 time for the p130d s.

I bet we are weeks away from seeing the Model S refresh. Almost seems like Tesla is now manufacturing the last of what stock parts they have before switching to the new interior.

Just home the sunroof returns with the new interior!

Agreed! We are going to see a ton of changes all at once within next few weeks or month. They know what inventory they have with parts and it all makes sense. Why else would they discount these so heavily. You couldn't even get a nickel off 9-10 months ago. Nobody is buying right now unless they need one this second.. All they are selling is Model 3's and few X's.

Interior changes are for sure coming, exterior I think the changes will be more subtle, if at all.

I sure hope you are wrong. If I want an interior that looks like a 3 I'd just buy the 3 and save serious dollars.

I suspect you can do a "Model 3-like" interior with more premium materials for the S/X. Better seats/stitching, better materials for the dash (like higher-end woods and finishes), Alcantara headliner (oooh!), larger screen (17"), slicker lighting, and the like. In particular, replace as much of the plastic as possible with more luxurious materials.

I suspect you can do a "Model 3-like" interior with more premium materials for the S/X. Better seats/stitching, better materials for the dash (like higher-end woods and finishes), Alcantara headliner (oooh!), larger screen (17"), slicker lighting, and the like. In particular, replace as much of the plastic as possible with more luxurious materials.

And add door pockets, overhead grab handles and coat hooks.

Don't forget the sunroof :p

Reactions: BBone

I’m thinking a large screen portrait and landscape orientation on a swivel elbow would be cool

Reactions: Olle
I suspect the new model s/x and the new Roadster will share the same base-platform. So two model 3 rear motors and one model 3 front motor for all variants. The platform will have room for two layers of 18650 battery cells (for roadster). Only one layer for Model s/x. The models s/x car body will probably stay the same, but with new ccs chargeport for EU and new interior matching model 3. Full Supercharger v3 support, of course.

Somebody went over the Roadster prototype with a laser measuring device when it was on display somewhere and the dimensions of the Roadster are very close to the Model 3. It's about 3 inches shorter, but the same with. If the new S was built on the same platform, it would be the size of the 3 and would kill sales.

It may not be coming with the next generation of Model S/X, but I could see Tesla taking the platform for the Model 3, widening it and stretching it for the larger cars. That is the trend in the auto business, make one core platform and modify it for different sized vehicles. For an electric car it's even easier to redesign than with an ICE.

I would not be surprised if the refreshed S used Model 3 motors for the standard car and possible one Model 3 and one large motor for the Performance cars, that would allow Tesla to stop production of one motor design with relevant cost savings. They might introduce the Roadster motor layout for the performance cars, eliminating both of the old motor production.

With the Shanghai plant under construction with plans to import cells to that factory, they will want to use the Panasonic plants in Asia to make cells destined to China and move Model S and X cell production to the US. For cost savings, it would be best to use the 2170s. Jason Hughes thought there was enough room in the current pack space to fit 2170s in the existing pack, but the modules would have to be redesigned for the different sized cells.

Ultimately I think the internal goal of the redesign is to share as many parts between Model S, X, and 3 production for cost savings. The refresh of the Model S was mostly parts sharing between the S and X with a few cosmetic changes thrown in. They may dress up the refresh of the S and X, but there will almost certainly be more parts shared when they're done. Replacing the power and drive system with essentially the Model 3 system would probably be both more efficient and get larger KWH battery packs on the road. Performance cars with some of the tech going into the Roadster would allow Tesla to test out some of the new tech for the Roadster in the real world.

Reactions: MarkS22 and Vitaman
I suspect the new model s/x and the new Roadster will share the same base-platform. So two model 3 rear motors and one model 3 front motor for all variants. The platform will have room for two layers of 18650 battery cells (for roadster). Only one layer for Model s/x. The models s/x car body will probably stay the same, but with new ccs chargeport for EU and new interior matching model 3. Full Supercharger v3 support, of course.
Exactly my thoughts too. Wheelbase and track are close enough, judged from the prototype pictures. There are a couple of constraints that speak against it though. While the double layer Roadster pack would be perfect for the X (which needs to be a tall car anyway), it is hard to imagine an S 70 millimeters taller than today. They may have to sunset the S if they go this route. Ride it out with current platform until they launch the new X. Another thing; if you build the Roadster platform to support a car as heavy as the X, the platform will itself will be extra heavy which is bad for road holding in a sports car. Friction coefficient doesn't stay linear when you load a sticky sport tire, they are more like tape.

the Porsche taycon has only a 90 kilowatt hour battery but I can still see Elon wanting to best it. So it might still be a wait until we see release of a new model S. I think they're talkin still four to six months.

As to shutting down one motor line for cost savings, they've already paid for all the equipment, it's hard to see how that would save any cost. Still, consistency is a much better thing. But there are advantages to induction Motors. Particularly, in this case, in the power Arena.

Do people not take factory tours any more? Surely somebody would make mention (NDA be damned!) that a new S or X body was flowing down the assembly line, right? Or even closed / curtained off? This isn’t going to sneak up on the automotive world unless it’ll be an unveiling and retooling. Lends credence to a more iterative update vs next-gen.

Reactions: sillydriver
Status
Not open for further replies.