Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who would even buy a Model S or X today? That stuff is old tech, old design. Tesla may as well discontinue those models if it isn't going to refresh them. Model S/X improvements are totally stagnant. The limited feature set and lower tech make the higher prices seem even that much more ridiculous.

The current price difference between the Model Y and S is not that great. The S now starts at $75K and it's pretty much what I bought in 2016 for $100K with updated tech. For people who need to transport someone with mobility problems, the falcon wing doors on the X help with getting in and out of the back, but that's not common and the X is IMO over engineered.

If I was buying today, I probably would buy a Model Y, but I like the S a lot. By folding down the back seats the S has more cargo room than any sedan on the market and more than many smaller SUVs. My SO's Impreza hatchback hasn't hauled anything in a couple of years, the S is a better hauler of stuff. I like having the instruments in front of me and having the ability to configure the wing displays to my preferences. Tesla borked the display setup on the S shortly after the 3 came out, but it was more flexible than the 3 until then.

And for roadtrips, the current S has the best range of any EV in the world. The only EVs within 100 miles of range are other Teslas. I'm not in a financial position to upgrade right now, but having a 391 mile S would be nice. My ~300 mile 2016 S is good on road trips, but between here and where I need to go in California, having an extra 50 miles or more usable range would allow me to skip some superchargers that are must stop places now.

With the 3 and Y here, the Model S and X have a fairly limited market now. Tesla has been smart in lowering the price of these cars. They should be positioned the way the Olds 98/Buick Park Avenue were back in the day. These were slightly larger versions of the Olds 88 and Buick Le Sabre. They sold in much smaller numbers, but there were people who wanted the larger car. Some people needed a little larger car, some just wanted it.

I do think that if demand for the Y/3 lines remains so strong and the S/X sales remain low, it would probably be best for Tesla to discontinue the S/X for a while until they can come out with an all new car. By making a new S/X on a modified 3/Y chassis, they could build them much more cheaply by sharing more parts and even production lines. They could make a car with essentially the same wheelbase by stretching and widening the Model Y chassis a bit. With more space between the wheels they could make a larger battery pack for the premium roadtrip car.

The S has no track mode so I guess it overheats still. I would expect a flagship to have all these features. We have to wait for plaid for that.

Tesla did the Nurburgring with a modified Model S last year. There were stories that this car had tech coming this year to the Performance S. That will have track mode. Though the virus has disrupted everyone's plans. The Performance update might not happen until next year.

Tesla at the ring was pure marketing, though apparently booked in advance and the Taycan just happened to come out around that time. Not sure the model S will ever match the Taycan at the track as that is not its primary purpose.

The word imminent has taken on many meanings in this thread but not yet the standard meaning.

Great to see more EVs and lets keep improving them to make them the smart choice for 90% of people.

Tesla at the ring was pure marketing, though apparently booked in advance and the Taycan just happened to come out around that time. Not sure the model S will ever match the Taycan at the track as that is not its primary purpose.

The word imminent has taken on many meanings in this thread but not yet the standard meaning.

Great to see more EVs and lets keep improving them to make them the smart choice for 90% of people.

Huh? hand timed Plaid Model S easily beats Taycan

The reporting on the Nurburgring Model S was a Plaid prototype and it was going to go into production.
Tesla Model S Plaid: Everything We Know

Reactions: SmartElectric
That is not mentioned on the European site.

View attachment 546321

Also teslanomics tried a brand spanking new raven S in 2020 and got 155 kW on a V3 charger sooooo

That could be because in Europe the V3 Superchargers are CCS only and the port on the S/X are not, and so you have to use an adapter to use the V3 stalls which may limit the maximum charge rate. So the battery is capable of it but the EU charge port/wiring might not be.

(At least my understanding is that the EU V3 stalls are CCS only.)

Reactions: emmz0r
That could be because in Europe the V3 Superchargers are CCS only and the port on the S/X are not, and so you have to use an adapter to use the V3 stalls which may limit the maximum charge rate. So the battery is capable of it but the EU charge port/wiring might not be.

(At least my understanding is that the EU V3 stalls are CCS only.)

Yes, more specifically the Type 2 adapter is not rated for 200 kW. So we'll never see 200 kW unless there's a proper CSS connector, which probably requires a body modification to fit the CSS socket.

Today's S overheats and has no track mode

Model S is a highway cruiser; track mode is pointless on a car that wasn't designed for the track. Transition dynamics are horrible (maybe the new Raven suspension is better?) It's like wanting track mode on a 7 series or S class.

Model S is still outselling all other luxury sedans in the US. So apparently there are plenty of people who still want one. I'm good with them focusing their development resources on Model Y / pickup / roadster / semi. No need for a redesign until the model lineup is complete. Bringing back the sunroof, cooled seats and 72A charger would be nice premium touches to further separate it from the 3 though, with little cost.

Model S is a highway cruiser; track mode is pointless on a car that wasn't designed for the track. Transition dynamics are horrible (maybe the new Raven suspension is better?) It's like wanting track mode on a 7 series or S class.

It can't drive fast for prolonged periods of time because it overheats, thus you have an issue on Autobahn. A 7 series / S class would not have this problem.

Model S is still outselling all other luxury sedans in the US. So apparently there are plenty of people who still want one. I'm good with them focusing their development resources on Model Y / pickup / roadster / semi. No need for a redesign until the model lineup is complete. Bringing back the sunroof, cooled seats and 72A charger would be nice premium touches to further separate it from the 3 though, with little cost.

Still embarrassing with lower charging speed than the 3.

It can't drive fast for prolonged periods of time because it overheats, thus you have an issue on Autobahn. A 7 series / S class would not have this problem.

My understanding is that isn't true for current Model S&X vehicles. They can handle the prolonged Autobahn speeds with no problems. (Other than high usage because of the high speeds.)

This is exactly why they have been testing and tuning on the most famous track of all! :D

Although, if you listen to James May (of TopGear fame), he hates the Nurburgring as it ruins perfectly good cars, making them hard riding and single-purpose-focused (
), although I think the new Raven suspension could manage that separation a bit better.

I'm still planning to buy it whenever it's ready, although I'll likely give it a few months after it comes out initially to work out any new-hardware kinks. Although I'm worried about what might happen to my current S's value in that timeframe, in the past major updates haven't caused significant drops in used value (like AP2+Facelift in 2017, and most notably used cars were selling for more than new after the largest drop last spring in 2019).

Reactions: 5JMJ
Really?
  • Same cell formulation as 3/Y
  • Same motor technology as 3/Y
  • Same MCU technology as 3/Y
  • Same FSD computer as 3/Y
What is so far behind? (Besides the heat pump, that just came out, in the Y; which I think it makes sense to get the teething problems dealt with in your lower end cars before putting it in the flagship vehicle.)
Whilst the formulation is the same, the config is still 18650 so the density is way lower, and the distribution means the cooling isn't as efficient making for the slower charging times. Our Model S is probably the best roadtripping car around. Amazing ride and capacity. But due to the charge times, we go most long drives in the 3. That, unfortunately, makes the S battery mutton dressed up as lamb.

Our Model S is probably the best roadtripping car around. Amazing ride and capacity. But due to the charge times, we go most long drives in the 3.

yup we are finding ourselves in the same situation. The reduced charging and range of our 2014 S no longer makes up for its free Supercharging - wait I wonder if that was the plan?

yup we are finding ourselves in the same situation. The reduced charging and range of our 2014 S no longer makes up for its free Supercharging - wait I wonder if that was the plan?

Sometimes it feels like S is something they don't really want to sell. Elon mentioned that they keep it in production for "sentimental reasons". But then Taycan came.

• Informative
Reactions: FreqFlyer
Status
Not open for further replies.