Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S reaching 4 years old or 50 000 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ugh, I meant to take mine in for this. :( I just passed 50,000 the other day on my July 2016.

I won't be doing the extended warranty simply because if I keep driving the way I am, it's really only lasting me a year and a half to two years at most anyway. I travel a lot. I'm crossing my fingers that the car can keep up.
The generation one pano roof is another known issue according my service tech. They’ve “cleaned and lubed” mine 3x now and it’s working okay right now but I know it’s only a month or two before it shudders badly and has to be addressed again. The fix is to retrofit the generation two roof but it’s a costly job so they’re trying their best not to do it.

Ugh, I meant to take mine in for this. :( I just passed 50,000 the other day on my July 2016.

I won't be doing the extended warranty simply because if I keep driving the way I am, it's really only lasting me a year and a half to two years at most anyway. I travel a lot. I'm crossing my fingers that the car can keep up.

Email your local SC and tell them ASAP. They have some flexibility for folks who are just barely on the far side of 50k.

(Separately though, it's unclear whether there's a real solution to that problem -- my 2015 85D does the same, doesn't affect operation).

The generation one pano roof is another known issue according my service tech. They’ve “cleaned and lubed” mine 3x now and it’s working okay right now but I know it’s only a month or two before it shudders badly and has to be addressed again. The fix is to retrofit the generation two roof but it’s a costly job so they’re trying their best not to do it.

They told me the same. If the roof ever fails I'll source a gen 2 roof and swap it myself.

I called Car Shield today and they said my MS85 with 69k miles Tesla was only eligable for the "RS-Gold" package for 2 years. $495. She said it was some "Repair Negotiation" policy....whatever that is. Seems like a rip to me. I called Delta Auto Protect and they quoted bumper to bumper for 4 years $2987. I really do not trust any of these companies..... Tempted to just go without a warranty. I am good at electrical/electronics/mechanical personally but the Tesla stuff spooks me.

I called Car Shield today and they said my MS85 with 69k miles Tesla was only eligable for the "RS-Gold" package for 2 years. $495. She said it was some "Repair Negotiation" policy....whatever that is. Seems like a rip to me. I called Delta Auto Protect and they quoted bumper to bumper for 4 years $2987. I really do not trust any of these companies..... Tempted to just go without a warranty. I am good at electrical/electronics/mechanical personally but the Tesla stuff spooks me.
I think you can pretty much make a blanket statement that any car/appliance/hardware purchased warranty is a bad deal. The companies that sell them prey on your fears and they price them to make a healthy profit. I never buy any extended warranty for anything. I have never regretted not having this "insurance". It's always been cheaper to just pay for whatever repair necessary (or more commonly, replacement with a newer, cheaper model for low price items).
People seem to be afraid of electronics in cars because of the anecdotal reports of high costs for replacement. However, electronics in cars and appliances are very reliable. It is possible that something expensive could fail but it is highly unlikely. As an example, in 50 years of using personal computers, I have never (really never, ever) had one fail due to a hardware problem. I have piles of old computers which are all perfectly functional (but, obviously, technically obsolete). Same for audio equipment where I am still using "stereo" amplifiers that are 40 years old. Twelve years ago I replaced all our TVs with flat screens. All of them are perfectly functional and in use today.

Reactions: brkaus
As another high mileage driver (currently @ 60K miles), I did not bother with either the extended warranty or the maintenance plan. I'd already put over 20K miles by the first 6 months of ownership. I had my 2nd annual service then, skipping the 12.5K one. With the DU fluid change covered, I haven't done any further maintenance either. I've been in shop thrice in total - for the 25K service, for the uncorking and most recently for the brake recall . On that basis, I've been happy with my decision.

Reactions: brkaus

That is pretty funny. My car shield policy is 4 years/48K miles and $100 deductible no price negotiations. Maybe after my recent claim they looked into repair cost for Tesla and decided they can't make a profit on it.

• Funny
Reactions: chammerbeck