Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh post March 31, 2016?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

This was interesting as they forced my hand for sure for a late April Delivery.

- - - Updated - - -

The opinions on whether the Model S should have the Model X nosecone or not is very split, probably pretty close to 50/50. People either love it or hate it. I don't believe the S will ever get the X nosecone, but if it does, it won't be any time soon. Personally I don't like the look of the Model X and hope the S doesn't get the X nose.

Thanks for this. Now I can sleep at night as I don't want my MS to get the X nosejob!

I just placed an order a few days ago and I’m not so much worried about a refresh of the S as I am about it getting the updates that the X has. Reading this thread has me thinking about cancelling the order. :frown:

It also says I'll get it late march. Are the wait times really down to 4-5 weeks?

I just placed an order a few days ago and I’m not so much worried about a refresh of the S as I am about it getting the updates that the X has. Reading this thread has me thinking about cancelling the order. :frown:

<biggest eye roll ever> ;)

There still is absolutely ZERO evidence pointing to, or even hinting at, a Model S refresh or getting X features. What X features are you most concerned about having forced on you?

Please don't let unrestrained speculation freak anyone out.

Not sure why people crave so much about adaptive headlights. I have them on my BMWs, I have to pay so much attention to verify it actually works. 99.99% of the time I don't even care.
Maybe it's important when you often drive in the mountain without street lights.
Fully understand that if someone is living in a place where streets usually go straight, mostly even highways, adaptive headlights may not be a top priority at all.

Depending on where you live, I'd see two issues re MS headlights
1) In Europe, MS gets delivered with 25W Xenon bulbs only (vs. 35W in the US). This due to the lack of a headlights cleaning facility which for more than 25W is mandatory.
2) Living in a country where you often drive narrow and curvy roads at night, adaptive lights simply provides more sight and such more safety.
For this, current MS head lights appear like 15-20 years back when most European cars started to add them. Which for such a great car is a bit of a shame.

Having read in another thread that is seems that that the engineering for the MS LED head lights have been accomplished late last year, I think it would about time to see them rather sooner than later. Not to forget that in Europe people started to replace their MS headlights with aftermarket products. But for a + $100k high-tech car this feels wrong besides it’s also not legal.

I also believe that the end of incentives on model S like the $1200 referral credit for charger indicates that something is coming. I test drove the other day and the S is a great car yet bigger than what I need. I am waiting to see what the 3 is about, and hoping there is a refresh to the S to justify the price difference.

I've been saying this for a few weeks now that it's possible.

What's interesting is the lease incentives end if the car isn't DELIVERED by the end of the quarter. Meaning that if someone placed an order tomorrow, but got the car April 3rd they wouldn't be eligible for the current promotion. I'm not sure why it'd be delivery by end of month vs. order by end of month if they weren't planning on announcing something potentially that could cause people to cancel their orders.

That being said my order is confirmed and I've been told will have a mid-March delivery. This is an issue I wrestled with before confirming was the odds of a refresh. Either way, I think the odds are still low but definitely within the realm of possibility given the behavior.

I also believe that the end of incentives on model S like the $1200 referral credit for charger indicates that something is coming. I test drove the other day and the S is a great car yet bigger than what I need. I am waiting to see what the 3 is about, and hoping there is a refresh to the S to justify the price difference.

But people could have posted the same about the prior two (or is it three) referral programs on the S in 2015, none of which resulted in a "refresh". Again, not that it can't happen, but I wouldn't read into it too much beyond them having a end-of-quarter push for # of units delivered.

For those of you with this type of a thought, let me ask: Why would anyone purchase the Model S for so much more than just wait until the Model 3 comes out? To me, there has to be some sort of a carrot for those to move forward with the MS instead of waiting around (with the rest of the world) for the Model 3.

Uh - I will - I don't want a compact car. There's a whole world of us out there who like (and pay for) mid size and full size luxury vehicles.

- - - Updated - - -

The only "refresh" which really matters is when the Autopilot hardware gets enhanced with cameras facing 360 degrees around the car. If Tesla has settled on the hardware suite it could start showing up in cars at any time - whether or not the software is ready.