Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any idea when the next update to the Model S will be? I'm guessing it won't be anything major, but maybe some changes to the interior? My guess is there will be an update about the same time of the Model 3 unveiling. Trying to decide when I should take the plunge. I'm in no hurry other than making sure I buy it before the tax credits start getting phased out. Thanks!

I would think that right now Tesla's focus is Model 3. Literally everyone at Tesla other than production, is probably focused on Model 3, and improving Model 3 production.

If I was Elon I would also be seriously focused on how to keep Tesla sales healthy after the EV tax credits expire (probably next year). This would mean both lowering cost and adding some new doodads.

So random guess for next refresh (most likely not exterior) ~ probably end of this year, or maybe early next year. Of course no insider info here, and really no way to be sure. Tesla is probably more secretive than even Apple.

Next major refresh will probably be a year or two after the 3 hits major production, as the S will be getting pretty long in the tooth by then.

Based on recent history Tesla will announce something pretty soon to drive this quarter's sales. Probably something on the low end considering they've just updated the high end configs, maybe kick the 75 up to 85.

Considering Musk's statement that the Model 3 won't be as advanced as the Model S, I think Tesla needs to hurry up with its Model S update or risk its flagship looking long-in-the-tooth compared to the Model 3. I mean, for goodness sakes, the Model S doesn't even have coat hooks or door pockets or lighted vanity mirrors! In this regard, the Model 3 will likely mop the floor with the S.

Imagine all the new jokes we are going to hear about Model S not having the basics...

Reactions: MS16
Anyone have any idea when the next update to the Model S will be? I'm guessing it won't be anything major, but maybe some changes to the interior? My guess is there will be an update about the same time of the Model 3 unveiling. Trying to decide when I should take the plunge. I'm in no hurry other than making sure I buy it before the tax credits start getting phased out. Thanks!

I just received an update last week to my MS. If you are waiting for coat hooks or some other gewgaws to make your decision you have clearly not taken a test drive (paraphrasing Capt Jack Sparrow when he says: "Clearly ,you have never been to Singapore").
The car has no peer; the sooner you buy one the sooner you can start enjoying the thrill of driving it. Take the plunge. There will alway be something new and something changing "just around the corner". I think Elon says "soon" and that in Tesla Time is open ended.

I just received an update last week to my MS. If you are waiting for coat hooks or some other gewgaws to make your decision you have clearly not taken a test drive (paraphrasing Capt Jack Sparrow when he says: "Clearly ,you have never been to Singapore").
The car has no peer; the sooner you buy one the sooner you can start enjoying the thrill of driving it. Take the plunge. There will alway be something new and something changing "just around the corner". I think Elon says "soon" and that in Tesla Time is open ended.

I have test driven the car which is the reason I want one! Never would have considered spending $100,000 for a car until I test drove it. I also have a day one reservation for the Model 3. In light of Elon's latest comments and the fact I would like a bigger car I am leaning towards the Model S. Having said that, as I mentioned earlier I am in no huge hurry. I can wait until the end of 2017 before I pull the trigger. That's why I thought I'd solicit some opinions on when there might be an update to the S.

I have test driven the car which is the reason I want one! Never would have considered spending $100,000 for a car until I test drove it. I also have a day one reservation for the Model 3. In light of Elon's latest comments and the fact I would like a bigger car I am leaning towards the Model S. Having said that, as I mentioned earlier I am in no huge hurry. I can wait until the end of 2017 before I pull the trigger. That's why I thought I'd solicit some opinions on when there might be an update to the S.

they way I understand it, unlike traditional model year updates, they do incremental updates as parts get qualified for production (starting with parking sensors, then auto folding mirrors..) so it's really hard to time the next major release. i doubt the fascia change was done for the refreshed look, more likely to protect the new ap2 sensors, they don't shut down the production lines except for major retooling (modelx, model3) so i wouldn't use those as indicators either.

now, with AP2 mostly fleshed out would probably be the most optimal time for an S.

• Love
Reactions: Bluejuice