Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S REST API

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dunno if this is meaningful, but by "inspecting" the html-code in Design Studio, you'll see that the main battery logos/images have the following codes:

75/75D: "battery-option-image BTX5 NinetykWh"
100D: "battery-option-image BTX6"
P100D: "battery-option-image PX6D"

Model X:

75/75D: "battery-option-image BTX5 D NinetykWh MODELX"
100D: "battery-option-image BTX6 D NinetykWh MODELX"
P100D: "battery-option-image PX6D D MODELX"

• Informative
Reactions: brianman and BGuz
Anyone seen...
"battery_level" = "<null>"

Was getting a good value yesterday and today getting that?
Car has been parked at airport for 10days though.

Thoughts
I've never seen it as null. Maybe the car was offline, or failed to report any battery data. Was other stuff like estimated range null?

If its been parked for so long unattended, then it may have "shutdown" Check if the car status has changed from "online" to "shutdown"

Hi everyone.

I just received message from Apple that my app for iOS has been re-evaluated and found to not be in compliance with their guidelines.

Legal - 5.2.2
Your app contains content or features that may violate the rights of one or more third parties. Specifically, your app requests, displays, or distributes third-party account information in order to allow unauthorized access to said service, or uses private APIs not made public by the service.

We also found that your app is not in compliance with the Apple Developer Program License Agreement, as required by the App Store Review Guidelines. Specifically, we found:

PLA 1.2
The seller and company names associated with your app do not reflect the name "Tesla" in the app or its metadata, as required by section 1.2 of the Apple Developer Program License Agreement.

If I do not fix these issues they will remove my app from sale.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this the end of third party Tesla-apps on the app store?
Are they targeting my app specifically, or will all apps using the reverse engineered APIs be thrown out?

Happy for all feedback.

I'm going to guess that some new legal-beagle at Tesla went through the App Store looking for all apps with Tesla in the name, and filed a complaint with Apple.

I think PLA1.2 is a valid claim. The thing about the API is really nebulous.. if Tesla is pushing that, that's going to end up being really bad PR.. even if the Tesla API isn't public. It's kinda odd for them to start cracking down on unauthorized API use after how many years without saying a peep about it?

Maybe pull the app, rename it -- remove all references to Tesla, and re-publish it anew.

@AllenWong : Have you heard anything from Apple/Tesla about this?
I received the same message just now. They're going to stop the sale of Remote S after two weeks. Sadly, this also means that there will be no more Tesla app for the Apple Watch. But for those who already bought the app, it will keep working and will not be deleted from your device. Apple doesn't have a remote kill switch for deleting apps already purchased. So don't worry if you already bought the app or will buy the app in the next two weeks. The API hasn't changed much in the last few years, and I suspect that Remote S will still work for quite a long time even if the sales stop coming.

I find it odd that for over two years, Apple and Tesla didn't care about this but suddenly they're targeting all Tesla apps. Tesla, two years ago, even sent me a trademark infringement letter, but backed off after I changed my app icon and I never heard from them again.

How does Apple even know that we're using private APIs unless someone told them?

I wonder if Dylan Diamond, the high school student who made the Tesla Toolbox iOS app with his classmate and then started working for Tesla this summer, knows anything about this. I've caught him putting fake 5-star reviews on his own apps and giving my apps fake 1-star reviews before. I caught him because when I clicked the reviewer's review history, the only reviews were for his own apps including non-Tesla ones and my Remote S app. I never said anything about it publicly, because I forgave him for doing it after I told him to stop giving my apps fake bad reviews and felt that drama like that was beneath me. I just wanted to make good apps, and I don't mind the competition. He also kept saying in his Tesla Toolbox forum thread* that he'll update his iOS app but then never did because of an issue that he said he was working on. I suspect that he ran into the issue where Apple wasn't happy that he named his app "Tesla Toolbox" (which I warned him was trademark infringement, but he ignored). So right now, Dylan probably knows more about this situation than any of us. But he probably won't say anything, because he works for Tesla now.

*Which I don't know why isn't locked, even though he's not a vendor and the TMC admins locked my Remote S forum thread for not being a vendor - which happened around a few days after incinie became a vendor. But again, I refrained from saying anything because I don't need that drama in my life. I wouldn't even be surprised if this post gets deleted or modified like some of the other posts of mine that get deleted or modified by admins on here.

Anyway, it's been a good two year run. I had fun making the app. Thanks to the TMC community for the support all these years.

I'm going to guess that some new legal-beagle at Tesla went through the App Store looking for all apps with Tesla in the name, and filed a complaint with Apple.

I think PLA1.2 is a valid claim. The thing about the API is really nebulous.. if Tesla is pushing that, that's going to end up being really bad PR.. even if the Tesla API isn't public. It's kinda odd for them to start cracking down on unauthorized API use after how many years without saying a peep about it?

Maybe pull the app, rename it -- remove all references to Tesla, and re-publish it anew.

Thank you for your answer!
Could you help me understand the issue with PLA1.2?
I am struggling to see what I should do to fix it.

I will try to contact Tesla about the issue as well, but I have no idea where to start. Anyone have some contact information that could lead me further than some support email address I would be very happy.

I agree that Tesla trying to remove all third party apps would be bad move. I find lots of extra value in third party apps/websites.

If anyone else has received this message I would like to hear from you.
From what I understand this is not just my app, and it seems like Tesla is seriously trying to limit usage of the APIs.
This might mean a sudden death to all third party apps for our Teslas.
To me this sounds like a moronic move from Tesla.

If anyone else has received this message I would like to hear from you.
From what I understand this is not just my app, and it seems like Tesla is seriously trying to limit usage of the APIs.
This might mean a sudden death to all third party apps for our Teslas.
To me this sounds like a moronic move from Tesla.

The regoapps guy has posted. He got the same thing - apple claims violation of app rules by using someone's undocumented APIs. The presumption is that Tesla is pushing this, but there is no proof.

Edit: regoapps guy on tesla's forum The end of 3rd party Tesla apps for Apple devices | Tesla

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and incinie
The regoapps guy has posted. He got the same thing - apple claims violation of app rules by using someone's undocumented APIs. The presumption is that Tesla is pushing this, but there is no proof.

Edit: regoapps guy on tesla's forum The end of 3rd party Tesla apps for Apple devices | Tesla

Yes. I have seen this and talked to @regoapps.
I know even more developers got the same message, so Apple OR Tesla is targeting all the apps.
If nothing changes there will be no third party apps available for Teslas in a few weeks time.
If you want to use any of the third party apps available now in the future you should download them now before they disappear from the store.

I am still interested in any information about contact info to someone at Tesla that might have a say on this issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
@Ulmo , it's not that easy due to the certificate pinning the official app uses. I am able to sniff the traffic of the official app on an older rooted Android device with the Xposed framework installed.using a custom module I wrote to remove the certificate pinning at runtime allowing me to sniff the network traffic via Fiddler.

I could sniff the APIs, however I don't have a Powerwall and am unsure what exactly these new APIs enable us to do remotely? Is the Powerwall somehow connected to the vehicle enabling the Powerwall to share its charge state with the vehicle and by extension with the mobile app?

@Ulmo , it's not that easy due to the certificate pinning the official app uses. I am able to sniff the traffic of the official app on an older rooted Android device with the Xposed framework installed.using a custom module I wrote to remove the certificate pinning at runtime allowing me to sniff the network traffic via Fiddler.

I could sniff the APIs, however I don't have a Powerwall and am unsure what exactly these new APIs enable us to do remotely? Is the Powerwall somehow connected to the vehicle enabling the Powerwall to share its charge state with the vehicle and by extension with the mobile app?
I finally found it on the LAN (see PowerWall and switchgear API's). I can poll it with curl -s 'http://1.2.3.4/api/{sitemaster,site_info,meters/aggregates}'

• Love
Reactions: SG57
hey is are these new items being returned...

"left_temp_direction" = "-137";

"right_temp_direction" = "-137";

I don't remember seeing them before. wondering if M3 related???
Undoubtedly.

I wonder if it is an x,y axis with 4 bits each? That's only 16 positions for both pieces. I doubt that's enough resolution, unless the up and down uses only 3 bits. Or, the number might be more than 8 bits. Confusing! Are you sure there isn't another axis for left and right? Or can it contain child fields with multiple values (such as in JSON)?