Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Sneak Peek: Alpha Drives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having watched the video 20 times to compensate for the fact it's only 25s there appears to be little new to be seen on the video. Or to hear for that matter and I like that. Just some roll noises of the tires.
I may have to take a vacation to stake out the Tesla facility to see it first hand. Don't leave one of the Alpha's with the keys in it guys!!!

At the end of the video, as the third car drives by the two other Alpha's, all three car's right rear lights begin to rapidly blink in unison. Anyone want to venture a guess whats going on. Is it Tesla's way of saying "hi" to a a fellow Tesla driver.

At the end of the video, as the third car drives by the two other Alpha's, all three car's right rear lights begin to rapidly blink in unison. Anyone want to venture a guess whats going on. Is it Tesla's way of saying "hi" to a a fellow Tesla driver.

It's a beating between the strobing of the LED taillights and the frame rate of the video camera.

It's a beating between the strobing of the LED taillights and the frame rate of the video camera.
Possibly, but it should be consistent in all cars in all shots all the time. Perhaps at that moment new light comes on like a brake light that is out of phase with the camera shutter.

Another wild theory. Maybe they transmit signals from base or the lead car and the flashing light is the "accepted" signal.

Possibly, but it should be consistent in all cars in all shots all the time. Perhaps at that moment new light comes on like a brake light that is out of phase with the camera shutter.
No, it's just that when the brakes are on, the duty cycle on the LED taillights goes to 100% (and are thus no longer strobing) so that the naked eye perceives them as brighter.

LED headlights should do the same thing. (assuming their flash rate is out of shutter phase) What type are the S lights? Looks like the one(s) coming at us is slow flashing. The slower one it's right bulb.
You can the orange turn signal flashing when it's parked (earlier in the cut).

Last edited:
Did anyone notice the storytelling here? They seem to be going out of their way to say they have three running cars but interestingly only two are moving at a time the way it was edited.

I'm not saying anything conspiratorial, it's just interesting. Like maybe they realized afterwards they never had the right footage and did the split screens to explicitly say that two are working at once and giving the feel of three working simultaneously to match the predetermined or favored title.

"LEDs flicker at a very high frequency, normally not seen by the human eye, but its intermodulating with the flicker rate on your camera. "
groan... this quote has some truth mixed with nonsense.

LED headlights should do the same thing. (assuming their flash rate is out of shutter phase) What type are the S lights? Looks like the one(s) coming at us is slow flashing. The slower one it's right bulb.
You can the orange turn signal flashing when it's parked (earlier in the cut).
LEDs don't necessarily flicker. They are sometimes pulsed with a variable duty cycle to affect their perceived brightness since the eye acts as an integrator. In the taillight example, when the lights are off the duty cycle would be 0%, when the headlights (or parking lights) are on the taillight duty cycle might be 50% (perceived as half brightness) , and when the brake pedal is depressed the duty cycle would be 100%.

That pulse rate doesn't have to be very high. Movies are at 24 fps, standard TV 30 fps. I'd guess standard LED taillights are using somewhere around 60 Hz since you can actually see them flicker with the naked eye if you look quickly from one side to the other. Certainly less than 100 Hz and not what I'd call "a very high frequency" (e.g. VHF is defined as above 30 MHz).

The orange light at 0:23 in the video is flashing because the turn signal is on.

Since the frequency of the LEDs' strobing and the frame rate of the camera are different, phase isn't so much the issue. You can look at is as the relative phase constantly changing, which gives rise to the flickering you see on the video. It's beating. I linked to this before: Beat (acoustics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Even though that's in the context of sound, it's the same phenomenon and the same math. In fact if we assume the camera is at 30 fps, we can calculate the LED strobe rate by measuring the beat frequency.

Hopefully that's a thorough and clear enough explanation.

Did anyone notice the storytelling here? They seem to be going out of their way to say they have three running cars but interestingly only two are moving at a time the way it was edited.

I'm not saying anything conspiratorial, it's just interesting. Like maybe they realized afterwards they never had the right footage and did the split screens to explicitly say that two are working at once and giving the feel of three working simultaneously to match the predetermined or favored title.

I'm going to guess you're reaching REALLY hard here...