Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FlasherZ

Actually, that makes a lot of sense. If that is the behavior then you can run errands, etc, during the day and not have to wait for the displays to reboot every time you get in the car. At the same time, energy is conserved when the car is unused for a longer interval.

That is not the way it worked in our car for the "Displays" button in the original version of the V4.xx set of updates, tho. Before .29, when I set the displays to always on they stayed on indefinitely (well, at least overnight -- 10-15 hours).

I see that a .31 update is being distributed now, so maybe this will change. What I'm REALLY hoping for is that this update will fix the system so that the car remembers the "units" settings (miles or kilometers) when it wakes back up.

This is expected. After several hours of non-use, the car will automatically sleep regardless of the setting. Every morning my car comes up from sleep mode and mine is set to not sleep (due to a bit of a GPS issue at the moment).

Hmm...How do you tell if it's asleep? Because when I go to the car in the morning the screens seem to go on immediately.

Hmm...How do you tell if it's asleep? Because when I go to the car in the morning the screens seem to go on immediately.

If you have v4.0 or greater and displays set to turn off, you should see a short boot up time with the Tesla logo on the big screen. Try not pushing the remote to unlock the car or open the liftgate (if you do that) and walk up to the car in the morning and see if it is still instant on.

Is it weird if we're signature owners on the east coast and haven't received 4.0 yet? With all this talk of 4.1, I'm starting to feel outdated and the car is only a six weeks old.

I don't think being a sig owner or location has anything to do with it. I'm a sig with a fairly low vin (443) and live in the Bay Area, but I have never received any updates since I got the car (Oct). I had it in for service at Menlo Park on 12/10 and they updated me to 1.17.52, but since then nothing.

One thing I can tell you for sure. If the yellow clock shows up in the next couple of days, I ain't gonna update. Not in front of a 900+ mile road trip that starts Thursday. Not interested in beta-testing in the middle of the Mojavi Desert, thank you!

I know you can delay it for about 24 hours but not sure if you can continue to delay it like that. Hopefully it doesn't show up during the trip or you are allowed to delay it each day to the next day.

Software updates always win. Hopefully you'll know right away of anything is wrong than in the middle of your trip. It seems the really big problems are isolated to a few cars at this point and maybe not even related to the software update but rather the whole 12V system issue. Have a great trip.

Software updates always win. Hopefully you'll know right away of anything is wrong than in the middle of your trip. It seems the really big problems are isolated to a few cars at this point and maybe not even related to the software update but rather the whole 12V system issue. Have a great trip.

As has been reported, the update to v4.1 (1.19.31) only took about 30 minutes. Everything seems to be in working order. But, then again, I never had a problem with v4.0.

- - - Updated - - -

Good luck Bill and Merry Christmas. Hope your trip goes smoothly. Wave as you pass through PHX.

I have an unreasonable yearning to hit the road Thursday morning. My wife thinks I'm nuts. She's going in a separate (ICE) car so she has ignored most of my OCD stuff regarding the trip. Bring it on! Going to be charging up at the Tesla store in Scottsdale on Saturday morning when they open. Come on by if you're in the neighborhood for a bite to eat while Tess eats. Same thing, Kishdude and any other lurkers.

And Merry Christmas to all of you. I'm going to have to order an X. This was all too much fun!

Ditto that update to 4.1 didn't take long (about 30 minutes), and 4.0 was mostly fine.

No driving since 4.1 installed, but I noticed an odd thing. After the update, I couldn't close my glove compartment. I didn't think those things were controlled by software at all, and maybe they're not, but what a coincidence! I guess I'll show it to the Menlo Park shop on Thursday.

I had an update early this morning (noticed it at 1am Dec 24), it was the .31 version, so I went ahead. I have not noticed any difference at all. I can tell you that the wipers still wipe once when getting in the car if they are left in the sensor on position!

I had an update early this morning (noticed it at 1am Dec 24), it was the .31 version, so I went ahead. I have not noticed any difference at all. I can tell you that the wipers still wipe once when getting in the car if they are left in the sensor on position!

I'm getting better about turning them off when I get out.. PITA!!!
many things do need to be updated a little. And where gthe hell is my Altimeter. My Mother-in-law just bought me a $280 altimeter, barometer, compass, casio watch that I will never wear ( but could be neat for a hike)

I'm not coordinated enough to do it, but it would be interesting if someone created a spreadsheet to track who gets the updates and when they get them to try to decode the rhyme and reason Tesla is using for sending them out. My Model S was delivered with 4.0, but clearly had been sitting on the lot prior to the updates being first sent out, so I suspect it recieved it either on the lot or enroute to me and I was one of the first to get 4.0. But 4.1 has been going out for about a week and I haven't gotten it yet. I suspect there must be some automated algorithm they're using, but I'll be darned if it is obvious to me what it is.

I'm not coordinated enough to do it, but it would be interesting if someone created a spreadsheet to track who gets the updates and when they get them to try to decode the rhyme and reason Tesla is using for sending them out. My Model S was delivered with 4.0, but clearly had been sitting on the lot prior to the updates being first sent out, so I suspect it recieved it either on the lot or enroute to me and I was one of the first to get 4.0. But 4.1 has been going out for about a week and I haven't gotten it yet. I suspect there must be some automated algorithm they're using, but I'll be darned if it is obvious to me what it is.

We went away for two weeks, and just got back, and assumed we'd have been upgraded while away, but no, still 1.14.15.