Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an update early this morning (noticed it at 1am Dec 24), it was the .31 version, so I went ahead. I have not noticed any difference at all. I can tell you that the wipers still wipe once when getting in the car if they are left in the sensor on position!
So at the expense of going off-topic, I have a theory on this. The car doesn't have a way for you to just do a single wipe - all directions of the stalk are used for something else. In our Jeep the wipers are on the right-side stalk and you can push the stalk down for a single wipe.

So w/ the Tesla, if you want a single wipe you have to turn the wipers "on". The logic would be that since you're turning the wipers on you must need a wipe so the wipers sweep immediately. It just so happens that when the car turns on the wipers are turned "on" and so it gives a single wipe. Perhaps the programming logic to avoid this is complicated so it's down on their to-do list?

So at the expense of going off-topic, I have a theory on this. The car doesn't have a way for you to just do a single wipe - all directions of the stalk are used for something else. In our Jeep the wipers are on the right-side stalk and you can push the stalk down for a single wipe.

So w/ the Tesla, if you want a single wipe you have to turn the wipers "on". The logic would be that since you're turning the wipers on you must need a wipe so the wipers sweep immediately. It just so happens that when the car turns on the wipers are turned "on" and so it gives a single wipe. Perhaps the programming logic to avoid this is complicated so it's down on their to-do list?

Actually, there is a "single wipe" feature: push in on the end of the stalk to the first "stop", and you'll get a single wipe. Push in harder and you'll get the windshield washers to spray. I learned this during a very rainy drive to Napa today.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not coordinated enough to do it, but it would be interesting if someone created a spreadsheet to track who gets the updates and when they get them to try to decode the rhyme and reason Tesla is using for sending them out. My Model S was delivered with 4.0, but clearly had been sitting on the lot prior to the updates being first sent out, so I suspect it recieved it either on the lot or enroute to me and I was one of the first to get 4.0. But 4.1 has been going out for about a week and I haven't gotten it yet. I suspect there must be some automated algorithm they're using, but I'll be darned if it is obvious to me what it is.

I picked up my Model S at the factory 2 weeks ago and it already had 4.0. Last night I got the 4.1 update. Only noticeable difference is that I haven't seen any "false alarms" such as low coolant and low washer fluid.

Last edited:
Actually, there is a "single wipe" feature: push in on the end of the stalk to the first "stop", and you'll get a single wipe. Push in harder and you'll get the windshield washers to spray. I learned this during a very rainy drive to Napa today.

- - - Updated - - -

I picked up my Model S at the factory 2 weeks ago and it already had 4.0. Last night I got the 4.1 update. Only noticeable difference is that I haven't seen any "false alarms" such as low coolant and low washer fluid.

I updated to 4.1 (1.19.31) yesterday. I then drove for a couple of hours here in the miserable weather here in NorCal. It seemed to me that the "rain sensitivity" settings (low and high) were substantially muted compared to v4.0. I basically couldn't use either setting on my drive yesterday. It's on my punch list for Service.

Last edited:
I updated to 4.1 (19.31.1) yesterday. I then drove for a couple of hours here in the miserable weather here in NorCal. It seemed to me that the "rain sensitivity" settings (low and high) were substantially muted compared to v4.0. I basically couldn't use either setting on my drive yesterday. It's on my punch list for Service.

Yes, I noticed this too, but did not have much rainy-driving experience pre-4.1 to compare against. In most cases I found myself using the "single wipe" function since neither automatic setting was sensitive enough to wipe away the accumulating mist before it impaired visibility.

My Mini Cooper auto sensing wipers reset to off every time the car is turned off and one, including the rear wiper.

if you jump in and the rear wiper is already turned to on, nothing happens, you must cycle the switch. My understanding this is to protect the glass from a dry wipe if there is grit.

the auto wipers will always cycle once when activated. I was told this is because the sensor calibrates its self when the wiper passes by.

So it appears the model S auto wipers doesn't default to off when started, and does a calibration swipe.

My Mini Cooper auto sensing wipers reset to off every time the car is turned off and one, including the rear wiper.

if you jump in and the rear wiper is already turned to on, nothing happens, you must cycle the switch. My understanding this is to protect the glass from a dry wipe if there is grit.

the auto wipers will always cycle once when activated. I was told this is because the sensor calibrates its self when the wiper passes by.

So it appears the model S auto wipers doesn't default to off when started, and does a calibration swipe.

yes, this is my assessment too, that the wipers in auto need to swipe on startup to set a baseline for sensor obstruction and thus the calibration for the level of windshield rain/grime...

the issue is that unlike several other newish cars i've been in, the model s has designed (probably a function of inheriting the mb stalks) the auto wipers as a hard switch (rotate the outer sleeve) rather than a software switch (e.g., pushbutton at end of stalk like bmw, etc) so it cannot be reset each time. it is hardwired. design error and not likely easily fixable until ms mk II comes out.

we'll live.

was thinking TM could set the calibration/startup swipe to happen only after car reaches 10mph or something.. that would solve the wet door/shirt issue probably...

Not sure why a calibration swipe is needed. I do know that Lexus never needed any. My wipers were always set to auto and it never wiped on start-up or when dry.

Last edited:
yes, this is my assessment too, that the wipers in auto need to swipe on startup to set a baseline for sensor obstruction and thus the calibration for the level of windshield rain/grime...

the issue is that unlike several other newish cars i've been in, the model s has designed (probably a function of inheriting the mb stalks) the auto wipers as a hard switch (rotate the outer sleeve) rather than a software switch (e.g., pushbutton at end of stalk like bmw, etc) so it cannot be reset each time. it is hardwired. design error and not likely easily fixable until ms mk II comes out.

we'll live.

The rear window wiper on the MINI is a physical collar switch as well, needs reset every start up if required.

4.1 update 12-25 went well. Car did fully reboot twice after, each on 12-25 later in day after update. No issues as yet. Will look for any loss of rain sensor sensitivity but... I'll be in 6 inches of snow in 7 hours and a more interesting uodate will be how Elwood drives in real snow. Hoping that update will not be too interesting...!

Picked up car with 4.0 Sunday, tonight I was presented with my first update. As others mentioned, it was much less than the 2 hours the message said it could take. When done, I had .31.

Hopefully this solves the TPMS messages I've been seeing. First saying to contact Tesla, then, after reducing the pressure from as-delivered 55psi down to about 46psi, I was getting a low tire pressure warning since yesterday.

My 3G is dead, anything I can do before I call Tesla?

After a 400 mile trip this week, and spending >24 hrs out of 3G range, connectivity did not come back when I came back in range. No Google, maps, no Slacker, no web, even with 4 bars of signal. When I got home, I did the scroll wheel touchscreen reset, no change. Also pulled the touchscreen fuse, waited 15 sec, and reinserted it, no change.

Does the 4.x software fix this issue? Has anyone with 4.x had their 3G connection die and not come back? I still have version 1.15.14.

Is there anything else I can do other than calling Tesla service?

After a 400 mile trip this week, and spending >24 hrs out of 3G range, connectivity did not come back when I came back in range. No Google, maps, no Slacker, no web, even with 4 bars of signal. When I got home, I did the scroll wheel touchscreen reset, no change. Also pulled the touchscreen fuse, waited 15 sec, and reinserted it, no change.

Does the 4.x software fix this issue? Has anyone with 4.x had their 3G connection die and not come back? I still have version 1.15.14.

Like you, I waited a few seconds before I plugged it back in and it didn't come back. I unplugged it for a few minutes (less than 10 more than 5?) while I went to do something else so I didn't time it, but when I came back and plugged it in 3G was working again. I'd try at least a minute.

Might have to call Tesla. Maybe service can do something remotely if the data connection is still active.

I went into an underground parking garage. Came out. No 3G. Waited 5 min. Nothing. Did the screen reset. Nothing. Then about 5 min later it came back so maybe just a very slow cycle time to re-lock on signal

I have found the same thing a couple of times znino. I think that the issue may be that we are Canadian! My DR told me that Tesla uses AT&T as the carrier even in Canada. I imagine then that it takes much longer to negotiate the initial connection and I have noticed that data quality is much worse as well then it is on any of my Rogers phones (which AT&T uses in Canada). I find that Slacker is almost unusable at times.

I think that short of Tesla negotiating a carrier agreement with Rogers, the solution is to get tethering enabled so that we can at least use our own phones for data.