Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was told the "Big One" was coming with over 1800 changes - mostly behind the scenes stuff. Anyone else heard more?
I really would love to see some thorough release notes on this one.

• Tesla (inside voice): Do they really want to know we changed the (4,7) pixel color on the 17" Display for the ___ screen? That kind of stuff is really small; who really cares?
  • brianman: Yes. All of it. I care.

I doubt they're listening but one can hope.

Quite a few folks with lots of bugs. If there's >1,800 changes/updates, it'd be prudent for Tesla to test thoroughly, test again, and then do a slow roll-out.

I was told very little and the guy may not have known that much, but he gave me the sense LOTS of testing was going on and that this big one was what they were focusing on and why smaller updates weren't happening.

My 4.1 update from 4.0 fails every time, but I'm not going to worry about it and just wait awhile. I'm not having any real problems. (Although I did get low level update around 1/7 because of my 12V battery replacement)

I really would love to see some thorough release notes on this one.

I would love nothing more, myself, but I know from a long history in the software business that (a) many fixes are so obscure that they are difficult to describe in terms that are meaningful to end users, (b) people tend to be scared by long lists of issues even though that represents the state of virtually every piece of state-of-the art software, and (c) the time it takes to adequately document every fix, run them by legal, debate the wisdom of claiming to have fixed a problem when problems with similar symptoms may still occur, etc. is cost-prohibitive.

i suspect we'll get nothing more than a list of enhancements.

With regard to the list of fixes, I mentioned this to my Ranger the other day when he dropped by, and asked why fixes aren't in the release notes.

He said that the 1.19.31 release had several hundred fixes in it, most so minor they weren't worth mentioning. Fair enough. If it's minor and not worth mentioning, fine. If a stray pixel was fixed, I don't really care. But if the turn signal sound issue was fixed...or the 12V charging issue, or the 3G reset issue--these are clearly significant and worth mentioning.

You'd think that someone would be able to go through the list of improvements, fixes, and changes, and filter through the items that aren't important and only list the ones that most customers will care about--to keep the list to a manageable length.

I work at a software company, and doing this very thing is one of my responsibilities. Filtering the list of fixes to only display the ones that are significant to the end user.

Guess what? It can be done successfully :).

Hey Tesla, if you send me your list I'd be happy to clean it up. I'll even format a pretty PDF to hand out to owners...with PICTURES! :) Free of charge! :cool:

I would love nothing more, myself, but I know from a long history in the software business that (a) many fixes are so obscure that they are difficult to describe in terms that are meaningful to end users, (b) people tend to be scared by long lists of issues even though that represents the state of virtually every piece of state-of-the art software, and (c) the time it takes to adequately document every fix, run them by legal, debate the wisdom of claiming to have fixed a problem when problems with similar symptoms may still occur, etc. is cost-prohibitive.

i suspect we'll get nothing more than a list of enhancements.

Facts! Have spent the majority of my career in software development and management. These are very apt statements.

Yeah, it is common practice to skimp on details regarding bug fixes. Some companies are better than others. Microsoft only superficially documents their Windows Update fixes. They do all kinds of things that they don't mention in their release notes.

(Here's a frustrating example of why that can be a problem: A few years back our software package suddenly developed this mysterious rare crash. It took us a couple of months but we finally came up with a way of reliably reproducing it, so we had a chance of tracking it down. The very next day the problem disappeared completely. The programmer responsible was pulling out his hair, and said, "what the heck could have changed overnight???" That's when it struck me - there was a Windows update last night! Sure enough we rolled back the change and the problem returned. Then we discovered that they hadn't really fixed it, they just changed the conditions that caused it. Strangely it had to do with what desktop scheme the computer was running. A few weeks later they fully fixed it. I went through all of the release notes for all of the Windows Updates that came out during that time, and not one mentioned the bug they introduced, the first attempted fix, or the successful fix. None even mentioned that they were working on the affected components. Thanks a LOT Microsoft.)

I can certainly sympathize with not wanting to document every fix - that's probably impossible - but surely it's possible to document the ones that matter, or at least indicate the area where the work was done. We often say things like "fixed minor problem with XXX dialog box" in our software release notes, so at least there's some indication that we changed that feature a little bit.

Anyway my touchscreen went wacko for the second time today. I bet some engineers have lost some sleep over that one - rare enough that it would be really frustrating to debug. Been there, done that! In the meantime, it's no biggie to reboot the screen.

Hey Tesla, if you send me your list I'd be happy to clean it up. I'll even format a pretty PDF to hand out to owners...with PICTURES! :) Free of charge! :cool:
And please post the "other stuff that's trivial" to the TMC forum.

I often learn far more about quality from "insignificant" changes than from ones the make the cut list for a press release.

- - - Updated - - -

Then we discovered that they hadn't really fixed it, they just changed the conditions that caused it. Strangely it had to do with what desktop scheme the computer was running.
None even mentioned that they were working on the affected components.
but surely it's possible to document the ones that matter
The answer is right there in front of you Doug_G. You almost saw it.

There is no such thing as "changes that don't matter". Every change matters. Compatibility is harder than you're characterizing it to be.

Did you go dig up the bug report that the 'fix' was for? Did it say anything about the desktop scheme?

I'll reiterate and clarify my preference.

(1) I don't want the "marketing" number for an update (4.0), but as raw a number as they can offer (v1.19.31).
(2) I don't want (just) the fancy notes with the marketing spin. I'd be happy with a text file that just lists titles of bugs/checkins -- titles that have enough depth to describe the scope of change and are accurate. No fancy filtering, sorting, bucketing that requires human effort (and meddling) -- just the raw list from your bug tracking software.

Both of these are far more useful for being comfortable upgrading my "projectile with human cargo".

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! It's like getting a new car all over again.

Had my first "glitch" this morning. 25*F, 20 minute drive to work, put it in park and the driver door pops open. That's it, nothing else so far. I love my Model S.

Hey Nikoli, I recall reading somebody else's post where they also had the door popping open issue. They took it to Tesla Service, and the problem was a pressure sensor in the door handle (IIRC), and they replaced it, all was good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Facts! Have spent the majority of my career in software development and management. These are very apt statements.
Well, may just depend on the company. At mine our release notes contain all the bug ID's and fixes from the prior release as well as a list of "known issues" that are yet to be fixed with workarounds if any. Maybe that's unique to the networking world and I understand that Tesla is selling cars to non-IT-geeks who could be scared by a long list of fixes with each release.