Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having just completed a road trip through mountainous terrain where range was an issue, I would like to see the map or dash indicate current altitude. I am sure the information is available based on GPS/map data, and would be helpful when thinking about remaining range. My Audi GPS showed altitude, though I didn't particularly need it.

Having just completed a road trip through mountainous terrain where range was an issue, I would like to see the map or dash indicate current altitude. I am sure the information is available based on GPS/map data, and would be helpful when thinking about remaining range. My Audi GPS showed altitude, though I didn't particularly need it.

The GPS knows your elevation. It calculates a 3D position in space from which it can translate that position to lat/lon on the Earth knowing the center of the Earth in the same space coordinates. GPS knows how far above the center of the Earth, all it needs to do is subtract sea level to give elevation.

A pet peeve of mine has always been stupid cruise controls. This is an area I think tesla can really excel and while driving tonight I think I figured out a way to do it.

The reason it's been a pet peeve is because it doesn't take economy into consideration. In a traditional ICE it'll go full throttle going up a hill then slightly overshoot the hill then you are on the brakes to slow yourself back down.

If you've done any research in hyper mileing ICE's you learn that the most efficient way to climb a
Hill is not with cruise control but to lock your foot at a predetermined position and just let your speed fade as you are climbing the hill resisting the temptation to press harder on the pedal.

So my idea is for Tesla to implement a smart cruise control in which you can have separate settings or integrate it with the range mode button.

It would work like this.

A smart cruise control toggle switch.
Off is dumb cruise, on would limit the max current you could draw from the battery, thus allowing your speed to fade going up the hill, maximizing your range.

With smart cruise on and range mode off your max current draw would be limited at say 80kw. With range mode on the limit would be lower at 40kw allowing your speed to fade even more.

If you wanted to you could then have a third setting wheel like the temp settings wheel that would allow you to customize your max fade speed before overriding the kW limits.

So if you set the fade wheel to 15 and you had your cruise set at 60, it would be a max of 40 or 80kw until you hit 45 mph, then it would maintain 45mph until you were back to your max kWh setting then it would hold that max until you were back to your set cruise speed.

I also think the adjustments of the existing (dumb) cruise control should me more analog. Right now they feel digital. Meaning that if you are climbing a hill and increase your setting by 1 mph the car lurches to get the other mph. Doing this 2-3 times to fine tune your speed can make passengers feel a bit sick.

What are your thoughts? If others like this idea maybe we can fine tune and I'll submit it to ownership.

If you live in a really hilly area you know what I am talking about.

Last edited:
What are your thoughts? If others like this idea maybe we can fine tune and I'll submit it to ownership.

Sounds very similar to thoughts I thought I posted somewhere in this forum..but can't find. Might've been on the now defunct ActiveE forum.

I agree that a more efficient cruise control mode should be entertained, with the ability to set a +- speed variance around the setpoint. Today the Model S sticks to the setpoint like glue, but with a bit of variance it would do as you describe: slow down up hills and allow speedup down. Extra bonus points for two different setpoints, min and max, so up the hill I may not want to drop below 50 MPH, but down the hill let her run up to 75 MPH or so.

Need to add some way for car to maintain a certain temperature after you exit, for a certain timeframe. User selectable , of course. And with a Warning by the selection that battery will drain as this temperature is maintained( for those who still haven't figured out the climate control can drain the battery) Yes, I know I can do this on phone, but would be nice to have a selection in car before I get out and not have to wait to connect via phone.

Thinking about going in somewhere for 15 mins to 1 hour, and it is either very not, or very cold, and you don't want the interior to be 140 by the time you get back.

This may have been mentioned already (didn't read all 48 pages)... but it would be helpful to have a readout of the battery pack temperature. Further, if the battery temp could be seen on the app, we would know when pre-warming is required and have a sense of how long to pre-warm (using shore power). Right now, everyone is just guessing and likely wasting electricity at times. This is a cold weather wish-list item.

Now I think I have the granddaddy of all firmware upgrades/wishes. It would be awesome if the regen was given an AI.

The background in this is with my normal driving style, leaving the streets I live on it would be nice to have a bit more regen to stop the car at the rate I would like it stopped.

The third turn out of our house has a steep downgrade and to get the regen to end perfect at the stop sign I have to start decelerating 1/4 mile before I get to it and creep down the hill. Not the preferred method of driving. If the regen would operate at 40-60kw for this hill it would probably be close to perfect. As it is because of my speed and the grade of the hill increasing I have to enter the steep part of the hill at 20mph and the regen is only about 15-20kw tops at that speed.

It would be really nice if on your commonly traveled streets the car would figure out your average deceleration rate and adjust the regen to slow the car they way you like it slowed.

Another option could be if there is something in the car that would measure the grade the car is on the logarithm could take that into consideration when calculating regen forces. I still think the AI would be better from a customer perspective on common low traffic roads. The grade sensor would be better for roads that are not common or traffic prevents a standard stopping rate.

Is Tesla making us lazy drivers?

Seperate tire pressures and temps (if this i a sensor in each wheel) - It they use ESP to calculate - = no go

ICS / google calender sync - Car syncs calender and can retrive location from the calender entry? - If i power up my car and I am 1 hour from a meeting i my calender and with in logocal distance, the nav should "promt" you - "you are supposed to he here en 1 hour - navigate? :) - This would be 70 - 80 percent of my nav usage.

Did anyone create a spreadsheet, with all these ideas? - Would be great to be able to wote / comment and have these compiled

new owner only read about 25 pages of this so sorry if it has been mentioned.
would love more home link buttons, also why can't driver profiles also save station presets, or what to display on dash, what the steering wheel controls. also like to be able to send maps from my phone to car like i can with my ford, browse music from usb phone connection,and of course waze

Homelink

Speaking of home-link....
Currently MS brings up home-link when I approach my property. I have three separate doors, so if I'm a bit sloppy selecting the pop up, I can get the wrong door. I think this could be solved by making the buttons a bit larger. Also, after I hit the button, the popup goes away. I still need to put the door down after I get into the garage, so I have to hit the small icon to bring up the list again. I think the list should stay up for about 60 or so seconds at least. Same routine when leaving. In this cold weather, I want to get the door down as soon as possible. Petty I know, but hey, Tesla is shooting to be the best, right?

The driver profile should include your preferred media settings. Unbelievable that this is not included. My wife takes the car in the morning and chooses her favorite Stalker station and I use my USB for my 5300 songs. It's a pain to change it. Why not store it in the driver's profile like the many other features?
Also it should have a home button for my preferred screen settings. I like the Nav at the top and the Cam at the bottom. After I surf the web I want to press the home button that brings me back to my settings.
Is this too much too ask for?
I love love the my P85.

Speaking of home-link....
Currently MS brings up home-link when I approach my property. I have three separate doors, so if I'm a bit sloppy selecting the pop up, I can get the wrong door. I think this could be solved by making the buttons a bit larger. Also, after I hit the button, the popup goes away. I still need to put the door down after I get into the garage, so I have to hit the small icon to bring up the list again. I think the list should stay up for about 60 or so seconds at least. Same routine when leaving. In this cold weather, I want to get the door down as soon as possible. Petty I know, but hey, Tesla is shooting to be the best, right?
Even better, we should have the option of programming the HomeLink to open a specific garage door (or gate) as we approach and closing the door when we put it into park. Not everyone would want this, but having the choice would be nice.

And, I agree on the size of the buttons . . . they could be huge because we don't need to use the 17" user-interface for much else when we're arriving home.