Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, it's certainly nice to have...I'll give you that.

But anyone that can't back up into a SC spot without causing damage because they don't have pretty lines on the backup camera shouldn't be driving a Model S in the first place.

Or driving at all.

Haha! You and I agree on that, but since there ARE people driving cars (including Tesla) who can't seem to back up without hitting someone or something, wouldn't you rather they had an additional tool so they were less likely to back into YOUR car? I've only had my Model S for three weeks now, but it isn't the same car I was initially going to purchase. I was shown a list of inventory cars and was very interested in one at a nearby Service Center, but had to wait until 5:30 to see it because it was out on loan. At 4:30 I got a call saying that, even with parking sensors, it had been backed into something and required some body and paint work. No additional discount was offered so I passed on that car and am now very happy with a different Model S.

What it really comes down to is that while I drove for 34 years with no backup camera at all, having one for two years on my last car with lines showing where I was going when I turned the wheels was quite a pleasure.

I'm sure this has been mentioned in the 82 pages of posts on this subject, but what I really miss from my previous car is a backup camera with guides that follow the steering movement. The backup camera with the current software is pretty useless for backing into a garage, carport or a Tesla SC station. We've been told for a couple of years that it's coming and that it's just software. Where is it? I'm pretty sure I've read about damage to SC stations which would likely be prevented if the backup camera showed you where you'll be going as you turn the wheel. Is anyone else with me on this one?

Where have you heard for a couple of years this is coming? I've been following Tesla developments pretty religiously during that time and I've never heard that. Lots of other planned features, but never backup guidelines.

As a matter of fact it's been rather widely understood here the hardware may be incapable of doing this.

Where have you heard for a couple of years this is coming? I've been following Tesla developments pretty religiously during that time and I've never heard that. Lots of other planned features, but never backup guidelines.

As a matter of fact it's been rather widely understood here the hardware may be incapable of doing this.

I did a quick search and this article from February popped up:

DailyTech - Elon Musk Offers Details on Tesla Model X Crossover, Plans AWD Model S

At the bottom of the article:

"Software updates coming to the Model S will add a hill-hold function and allow manual selecting of ride height over a wider range of speeds. Feature updates coming down the road will include guidance lines on the backup camera, adaptive cruise control, and Musk also promised that Model S cars coming off the line in the near future would have more comfortable front seats. The new seat can be retrofitted into existing cars."

As we know, the adaptive cruise control requires new hardware (now implemented on the current cars) and I believe the "guidance lines on the backup camera" will also require new hardware. That new feature / "update" hasn't happened yet even on the current cars.

DailyTech - Elon Musk Offers Details on Tesla Model X Crossover, Plans AWD Model S

At the bottom of the article:

"Software updates coming to the Model S will add a hill-hold function and allow manual selecting of ride height over a wider range of speeds. Feature updates coming down the road will include guidance lines on the backup camera, adaptive cruise control, and Musk also promised that Model S cars coming off the line in the near future would have more comfortable front seats. The new seat can be retrofitted into existing cars."

As we know, the adaptive cruise control requires new hardware (now implemented on the current cars) and I believe the "guidance lines on the backup camera" will also require new hardware. That new feature / "update" hasn't happened yet even on the current cars.

Yeah, that's what I think has been surmised, and nothing I've seen indicates "it's just software" as was asserted above.

My guess is there has to be some sort of feedback from the steering wheel in order to "aim" the guidance lines. I'll bet that is part of the "autopilot" suite of equipment.

My guess is there has to be some sort of feedback from the steering wheel in order to "aim" the guidance lines. I'll bet that is part of the "autopilot" suite of equipment.

Just about any modern car with traction control, stability control, and some ABS systems, take in to account "steering angle" when in operation, thus have sensors on the steering mechanism to determine the wheel position.

Thus, I don't think any steering hardware upgrade would be necessary to implement backup lines. It's still a likely possibility that the actual center console itself may need differing hardware to implement them, however.

I haven't kept up with this thread so apologies if this has been suggested before. I would like to be able to schedule a pre-heat or cool for a certain time. I know when I'm going to leave home, but it is difficult to remember to turn on climate control at just the right time beforehand. On the face of it, it should be a pretty easy programming task.

I haven't kept up with this thread so apologies if this has been suggested before. I would like to be able to schedule a pre-heat or cool for a certain time. I know when I'm going to leave home, but it is difficult to remember to turn on climate control at just the right time beforehand. On the face of it, it should be a pretty easy programming task.
Or better yet, program a departure time, which would have two effects:
  1. Pre-heat/cool the car. How long this will take depends on the internal and external temperature of the car, so this will require some programming to get the start time right.
  2. Top-up the charge. Again, when this charging needs to start depends on the battery SOC and the kW available from shore.

Or better yet, program a departure time, which would have two effects:
  1. Pre-heat/cool the car. How long this will take depends on the internal and external temperature of the car, so this will require some programming to get the start time right.
  2. Top-up the charge. Again, when this charging needs to start depends on the battery SOC and the kW available from shore.

Even better... Add pre-warming as an option in commute assist.

I would love if they just fix all the broken stuff first, with updates they implement 2 or 3 new features and break at least 1 of the old one.

I'm already afraid to install any new update, in fact usually I don't install new updates until I hear in TMC that the revision is stable, currently my Navigation is broken and day sensing also doesn't work as used to.

Most important request - Favorites or Speed Dial setting for iphone, or any phone for that matter. I can't believe this isn't available. Bonehead omission. Makes for dangerous conditions scrolling through large numbers of contacts to make a call.

More favorites for radio / XM stations.

Ventilated seats / AC.

After almost two years of MS ownership, I've come to wish for a remote I can give to the rear-seaters so they can control the music app. Or, perhaps better yet, a different mobile app that I can install on my kids' phones and (after authorizing each device individually) they can control the music remotely.

I have a ton of music in the car, and it'd be GREAT to allow one of the kids to play DJ.

After almost two years of MS ownership, I've come to wish for a remote I can give to the rear-seaters so they can control the music app. Or, perhaps better yet, a different mobile app that I can install on my kids' phones and (after authorizing each device individually) they can control the music remotely.

I have a ton of music in the car, and it'd be GREAT to allow one of the kids to play DJ.

I think you can connect a mouse to the usb ports,

otherwise Spotify and Bluetooth streaming works too.

just got my Model S on tuesday, and loving it.

haven't seen this suggestion -- the parking sensors are great, especially the bit that counts down the inches. once you get within ~15 inches of something, the "inches" display is replaced with a "Stop" warning. wish the inches would stay there alongside the stop -- my garage isn't much longer than the Tesla and there's a huge difference between "Stop // 11 inches" or "Stop // 4 inches."

Most important request - Favorites or Speed Dial setting for iphone, or any phone for that matter. I can't believe this isn't available. Bonehead omission. Makes for dangerous conditions scrolling through large numbers of contacts to make a call.

THAT!

And the "Estimated remaining range at programmed destination" shown in the speedometer, based on last x km or miles, where x is either predetermined or can be selected (like on the energy page). If navigation not enabled, just show the range remaining like the one on the Energy page (average, not instant!).

Later on, it should even include difference in current elevation and destination elevation - so if you are going up to the mountain cabin or ski resort, it would still be a good guess. And for that sake, the same when you go down again.