Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i would like the option to go back to fixed top menu icons on the screen. I now have to touch the screen twice to do basic functions where prior to v8.0 it would be one touch. I didn't need the little bit of additional map space that hiding the top bar provides. The lag and time it takes of them to appear and the +- buttons to appear is distracting.

I agree. It certainly be an option for those that like the top bar to hide.

Reactions: F123456
I would like the car to beep quickly if a key is left in the car when leaving the car. My wife keeps her key in her purse, if she leaves it in the car when we are out together the car will not lock automatically, and needs to be locked manually. Worse than leaving your car unlocked is leaving it unlocked with the key in it.

Reactions: Vortexx
This is small change but how about an initial default setting on the stereo volume such that you don't blow your ears out when you start the car if the last time you drove you were rocking out? Dude.

Even better than this, though I don't see it happening, would be an initial default settings for each source that is implemented whenever that source is selected. For example, streaming podcasts from TuneIn require that I set the volume pretty high. If I then switch to FM radio and don't remember to lower the volume first, it is far too loud.

Again, sadly I don't expect Tesla will ever provide this level of personalization.

Even better than this, though I don't see it happening, would be an initial default settings for each source that is implemented whenever that source is selected. For example, streaming podcasts from TuneIn require that I set the volume pretty high. If I then switch to FM radio and don't remember to lower the volume first, it is far too loud.

Again, sadly I don't expect Tesla will ever provide this level of personalization.
Yeah and this wouldn't be on my top 20 list of things to fix ;)

I would LOVE the option to switch nav to the right hand side of the instrument panel. For those of us who grew up driving stick, the habit is to hold the top-center of the wheel with the left hand (I know, I know...10 and 2 and all that...). From that position, the left hand nav screen is totally blocked by my left arm.

I know I can use the big screen for nav, but the perspective isn't the same and its nice to have the main screen for other tasks. Can't be that hard to enable as an option, right?

(BTW, first post here! Dec 2016 Midnight Silver MS 60D. Looking forward to the discourse!)

Reactions: markn455
First, welcome to TMC!

For those of us who grew up driving stick, the habit is to hold the top-center of the wheel with the left hand

I think that's your habit. I've been driving stick all my life (well, until Tesla came along) and I don't do it that way at all. I usually have my left hand at 9 o'clock holding the wheel where the spoke meets the wheel, or right above that.

I would like fscking GAPLESS PLAYBACK so that we can play albums like Sgt. Pepper and The Wall, and also radio plays like Hitchhiker's Guide, without skips and without encoding the entire play as one file.

This should have been available on initial release in 2012 and it shows complete incompetence on the part of the software team that they haven't gotten it done in 3 years. It is a feature present in every single car CD player, and obviously every tape player. I can point to several pieces of free, open source software on the Linux desktop which have gapless playback, including Audacious, which they could just *use* if they put the copyright notices in the manual (something else they are not doing because of incompetence).

Regarding a "wish list" for Tesla Model S software, it would be great if Tesla could uniformly:

FIX THE BROWSER TO ENABLE ACCESS/VIEWING OF WWW.CNN.COM

Explanation: the browser will not display www.cnn.com. This problem is apparently recognized by Tesla (and, I've reported it twice, including during a service visit in Palo Alto), and yet no word if/when it will get fixed. Informally, I've been told that CNN contains hooks to active media that overwhelm the browser. And, perhaps 1.5 years ago, I had the same problem, went thought multiple cycles with Tesla Service, and ultimately a firmware update fixed the problem. The problem has returned again without any Tesla commitment to fix it. Also, about two weeks ago I visited a Tesla showroom, sat in the latest Model S, and confirmed that the same problem exists with one of its latest cars.

Editorial: It seems remarkable (and unacceptable) that the ultimate car cannot resolve what even the cheapest and rudimentary browsers can do.

Regarding a "wish list" for Tesla Model S software, it would be great if Tesla could uniformly:

FIX THE BROWSER TO ENABLE ACCESS/VIEWING OF WWW.CNN.COM

Explanation: the browser will not display www.cnn.com. This problem is apparently recognized by Tesla (and, I've reported it twice, including during a service visit in Palo Alto), and yet no word if/when it will get fixed. Informally, I've been told that CNN contains hooks to active media that overwhelm the browser. And, perhaps 1.5 years ago, I had the same problem, went thought multiple cycles with Tesla Service, and ultimately a firmware update fixed the problem. The problem has returned again without any Tesla commitment to fix it. Also, about two weeks ago I visited a Tesla showroom, sat in the latest Model S, and confirmed that the same problem exists with one of its latest cars.

Editorial: It seems remarkable (and unacceptable) that the ultimate car cannot resolve what even the cheapest and rudimentary browsers can do.
The browser disables video content by design which is why you can't connect to that site. I doubt they will be changing that due to liability issues.
You can, however, stream CNN live via TuneIn for free!

I live in an area with daytime and nighttime speed limit signs. As of now, the car is only recognizing the daytime sign.

Attachments

• Day: night.jpg
    Day: night.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo