Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone mentioned the need for a randomize feature when playing from USB sticks? I think it might be mentioned in other threads, but I don't think it has been brought up here. Without this functionality, playing my 3500 MP3's is a pain in the butt. I don't want to play all of one genre/artist. The only way it's usable is to play songs alphabetically.

Has anyone mentioned the need for a randomize feature when playing from USB sticks? I think it might be mentioned in other threads, but I don't think it has been brought up here. Without this functionality, playing my 3500 MP3's is a pain in the butt. I don't want to play all of one genre/artist. The only way it's usable is to play songs alphabetically.
Lame workaround:
1. Detach USB key from Model S
2. Attach USB key to desktop/laptop computer
3. Enumerating the files by file size (a pseudo-randomization activity) add prefixes of "AAAAA", "AAAAB", etc. to each file encountered
4. (Maybe required: ) Update the metadata for each file such that the title matches the file name updated from step 3
5. Detach USB key from desktop/laptop computer
6. Attach USB key to Model S

Step 3 can be done relatively easily with a BAT or CMD file on a PC. (And easily with C/C++/C#/JS/etc.)
Step 4 will require a command-line meta data editing tool.

I wasn't thinking of anything that complex. Just an algorithm to activate re-gen when the brake light switch goes on and regular hydraulic brakes after that. No need to change the hydraulic brakes at all.

I don't think you can do it without the complexity. It absolutely must be failsafe. Tying the brakes together with regen is not for the faint of heart.

and how the whole car trembled every time it started and stopped (which was a lot!), among other things.

That only happens when the Prius is new and tight. After it loosens up a bit, you can barely feel it. I recall when mine was new there was quite a jerk when the engine stopped, now I have to pay close attention to feel it.

I actually do agree, but was thinking of winter use. People have reported being "startled" when the expected re-gen braking wasn't there due to the battery pack being too cold,

The thing is that if they know enough to push the button, they also are aware of the loss of regen. Those that are startled aren't likely to know about the button either.

I was thinking of it being an optional setting, not a compulsory change that could be selected when conditions warrant. It has been suggested to just switch to low re-gen, but then you lose the ability to recycle as much power.

Regen is basically better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick but it's not the most efficient way to drive because regen takes the kinetic energy and turns some of it into heat and some of it into electricity. Then there is an additional energy conversion loss when you turn the electricity back into mechanical energy. Driving as if you have no brakes is more efficient than regen. Regen is more efficient than using the friction brakes.

- I would like to see the lane change directional blink 4 rather than 3 times. Just doesn't seem to be enough to warn all the gawkers and picture takers that I'm coming over!
- like the idea of parking sensors.
- would like to see an option for the steering wheel to completely retract and the seat elevate a bit when parked and door opens to aid this aging girl out of her car!

First, welcome to the forum!

- I would like to see the lane change directional blink 4 rather than 3 times. Just doesn't seem to be enough to warn all the gawkers and picture takers that I'm coming over!

This has been a complaint I've heard often on the VW/Audi forums over the years. Folks have successfully tinkered and got them to 4 or 5 blinks, but the majority of people just yelled "change lanes faster!". I guess since I'm used to it, I find it adequate. If you need to actually signal someone and get them to change their trajectory so that you CAN change lanes, then using the full turn signal is probably best.

First, welcome to the forum!

This has been a complaint I've heard often on the VW/Audi forums over the years. Folks have successfully tinkered and got them to 4 or 5 blinks, but the majority of people just yelled "change lanes faster!". I guess since I'm used to it, I find it adequate. If you need to actually signal someone and get them to change their trajectory so that you CAN change lanes, then using the full turn signal is probably best.

Funny I have the VAG-COM cable and software and I fully thought this was changeable with just the menus. I had my GTI setup for 4 blinks, although 3 was fairly good for my normal rapid lane changes.

I usually just move the turn signal stalk just slightly up or down and hold it there. When done, I release it, and the blinking stops immediately. The 3 blinks has always been too short in my opinion too--forces you to try to change lanes too quickly. And of course, changing lanes quickly is usually a bad idea.

I usually just move the turn signal stalk just slightly up or down and hold it there. When done, I release it, and the blinking stops immediately. The 3 blinks has always been too short in my opinion too--forces you to try to change lanes too quickly. And of course, changing lanes quickly is usually a bad idea.

I agree. It should be user selectable (3, 6 or 9 maybe).

Lame workaround:
1. Detach USB key from Model S
2. Attach USB key to desktop/laptop computer
3. Enumerating the files by file size (a pseudo-randomization activity) add prefixes of "AAAAA", "AAAAB", etc. to each file encountered
4. (Maybe required: ) Update the metadata for each file such that the title matches the file name updated from step 3
5. Detach USB key from desktop/laptop computer
6. Attach USB key to Model S

Agreed - that is lame :wink:

Actually, I'd really also like to see playlists supported and definitely an option to NOT always restart (loop) at the end of a song/album/playlist.

I agree. It should be user selectable (3, 6 or 9 maybe).
Wait for it...
Brother Maynard said:
Then shalt thou count to three - no more, no less.
Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three.
Four shall thou not count, neither count thou two excepting that thou then proceed to three.
Five is right out!

Last edited by a moderator:
At the risk of opening up another "I want it the other way" debate... Does anyone else think that the right-side thumb control, when set to "Sunroof", seems backwards? To me, it seems rolling the wheel "forwards" should CLOSE the roof (move the roof panel forwards) and rolling the wheel "backwards" should open the roof? Tesla implemented it the other way around.

At the risk of opening up another "I want it the other way" debate... Does anyone else think that the right-side thumb control, when set to "Sunroof", seems backwards? To me, it seems rolling the wheel "forwards" should CLOSE the roof (move the roof panel forwards) and rolling the wheel "backwards" should open the roof? Tesla implemented it the other way around.

yes, you are right in your idea.

To me, it seems rolling the wheel "forwards" should CLOSE the roof (move the roof panel forwards) and rolling the wheel "backwards" should open the roof? Tesla implemented it the other way around.

I haven’t tried the feature yet but I wouldn’t have imagined there’d be any debate about the “correct” direction for open/close. It sounds like Tesla has it backwards to me, too.

It depends on whether you are imagining the top of the wheel or the bottom of the wheel pressing on the glass (like a feed roller) or the top of the wheel being the glass.

I would like to be able to specify a cell phone as "Primary" and any time the car is driven a warning would be given if the car does not see that phone.
I hate it when I forget my cell at home or at work. Would be nice for my car to remind me I don't have it.

(Or simply [ ] Warn if cell phone not located - actual warning should say name of phone so another driver knows its not theirs. i.e. "Ken's iPhone not found" )

Forgive me if this has been requested.

Would appreciate having the ability to sort my phone's bluetooth contacts based off the first name and not the last name only. iOS gives users a choice on which way they'd like this sorted and I would like to kindly request that this be implemented as well. It's an easy setting to give someone the choice for.

- - - Updated - - -

Just thought of another one. In the Bluetooth options screen, there should be a way to indicate which cell phone is primary, secondary, etc. The situation comes up when both my wife and I are driving in the car with both of our phones. I haven't paid much attention but I think there is no way to specify who's phone should connect first without going in manually and disconnecting. Our Infiniti G35 has this feature and we find it helpful to prevent confusion.