Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I Couldn't find any mention of this idea by searching so I hope I'm not repeating a thought. I personally hate reaching for the screen to put the car into reverse. why can't the speed control wheel be used when the car isn't moving be used to set the car to drive or reverse.

I Couldn't find any mention of this idea by searching so I hope I'm not repeating a thought. I personally hate reaching for the screen to put the car into reverse. why can't the speed control wheel be used when the car isn't moving be used to set the car to drive or reverse.
What is ‘the speed control wheel’?

Without knowing that, the only thing I could see is if you accidentally hit it why waiting at a light or turn or somewhere else. All the sudden you are going in reverse.

If you have auto-close enabled when you walk away, it would be great if the Tesla gave a quick chirp on its horn to let you know it was locking the car. My Chevy Bolt does this and it is very reassuring. With my MS, after walking away I have to stop and look back and check that the handles and mirrors have retracted thus confirming it is closed and locked.

Reactions: Ulfilias
If you have auto-close enabled when you walk away, it would be great if the Tesla gave a quick chirp on its horn to let you know it was locking the car. My Chevy Bolt does this and it is very reassuring. With my MS, after walking away I have to stop and look back and check that the handles and mirrors have retracted thus confirming it is closed and locked.
Check your settings, my 2021 refresh S does this. Although, I cannot recall if it is a 2021+ feature or enabled for older S as well.

Per manual:
When the doors lock, the exterior lights flash once and the mirrors fold (if Fold Mirrors is on). To also hear a confirmation sound when Model S locks, touch Controls > Locks > Lock Confirmation Sound.

I wish Elon/Tesla would fix the USB Music. it has only gotten worse with the new CPUs. The software does not return to the USB media nor the last song playing after exiting the vehicle. Album art for USB Music is stuck on the first album played on the instrument console until you change media sources. USB Music Album Art history is populated with random Streaming Media Artwork. This is a really a stupid bug that has been there for years and continues to this day. The lack of resuming play and forgetting about USB when re-enetering the car is probably the worst.

I wish Elon/Tesla would fix the USB Music. it has only gotten worse with the new CPUs. The software does not return to the USB media nor the last song playing after exiting the vehicle. Album art for USB Music is stuck on the first album played on the instrument console until you change media sources. USB Music Album Art history is populated with random Streaming Media Artwork. This is a really a stupid bug that has been there for years and continues to this day. The lack of resuming play and forgetting about USB when re-enetering the car is probably the worst.
It's only going to get worse, it's a dying medium.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank42
It's only going to get worse, it's a dying medium.
I don't think so, it's really the only reasonable solution for SpaceX and areas without cell service or where it isn't allowed. ike West Texas, the Rocky Mountains, the ocean, and underground are just a few places that I can think of. It takes Zero bandwidth from the airwaves and is a lot more reliable. I have close to 500 CD's with album art on a single USB flash drive. Plus it can be used for dashcam and sentry video.

I don't think so, it's really the only reasonable solution for SpaceX and areas without cell service or where it isn't allowed. ike West Texas, the Rocky Mountains, the ocean, and underground are just a few places that I can think of. It takes Zero bandwidth from the airwaves and is a lot more reliable. I have close to 500 CD's with album art on a single USB flash drive. Plus it can be used for dashcam and sentry video.
We aren't talking about Space X here. Just google mp3 dying and you'll see. When is the last time you saw an MP3 player in an ad?

Most do not use USB/MP3, most use streaming. It's pretty neglected on all cars. The USB audio interface is mostly terrible. Some cars don't show any album art.

We aren't talking about Space X here. Just google mp3 dying and you'll see. When is the last time you saw an MP3 player in an ad?

Most do not use USB/MP3, most use streaming. It's pretty neglected on all cars. The USB audio interface is mostly terrible. Some cars don't show any album art.
Who said anything about MP3 and SpaceX was only referenced as a usecase. I use lossless FLAC music files on a Linux ext4 filesystem (Tesla doesn't support the xfs filesystem), USB flash drives have so much more storage capacity than either CD's or DVDs. I own the content, it works everywhere, it's free and it's more reliable than streaming services. The UI can be fixed, though it seems to be intentionally neglected and crippled. I have even applied at Tesla and offered to fix it, but Tesla's HR turned me down and said no. I am a Linux software developer and these are simple bugs to fix, though Tesla chooses not to. I could and would fix these bugs myself if I had access to the source code.. But you're right it is neglected in favor of for profit streaming services. Toyota for instance uses album art obtained by LTE stored in a local database for user's USB media files rather than artwork contained in the metadata, then they completely botch the experience by disabling the album artwork when the vehicle is in drive, displaying only a USB icon. Not so when using apple play.

Last edited:
1: Auto level on suspension would be nice for all models with adaptive suspension/adjustable hight.. so when arriving a curb that’s to high/short. The model s go automatically to high setting.

Now it’s only manual but it remembers the location.. hit the bottom sometimes.. this must be posible with the camera’s/sensors.

2: horn after automatically close. (Got a late 2020 raven)

3: auto pilot/FSD/navigate breaks for any flashing warning signs. Verry annoying

Reactions: cwanja
Who said anything about MP3 and SpaceX was only referenced as a usecase. I use lossless FLAC music files on a Linux ext4 filesystem (Tesla doesn't support the xfs filesystem), USB flash drives have so much more storage capacity than either CD's or DVDs. I own the content, it works everywhere, it's free and it's more reliable than streaming services. The UI can be fixed, though it seems to be intentionally neglected and crippled. I have even applied at Tesla and offered to fix it, but Tesla's HR turned me down and said no. I am a Linux software developer and these are simple bugs to fix, though Tesla chooses not to. I could and would fix these bugs myself if I had access to the source code.. But you're right it is neglected in favor of for profit streaming services. Toyota for instance uses album art obtained by LTE stored in a local database for user's USB media files rather than artwork contained in the metadata, then they completely botch the experience by disabling the album artwork when the vehicle is in drive, displaying only a USB icon. Not so when using apple play.
Perhaps they are worried it would cut into premium subscription. Sad.

Reactions: lccreech
One more USB Music bug that I forgot to mention earlier. Playing of USB music with a Model S with the new MCU2 is DISABLED/MUTED if playing a game such as 2048 which I do while on a road trip, supercharging. While Streaming Sources are not. This is not how it was before the MCU upgrade.

Last edited:
USB music all the way here. I don't use and generally won't use music streaming services. Dodgy alternative here and a lot of small friends bands are not on it. Also a hifi music geek, so FLAC too as per my home audio server and 1000s of CDs are ripped onto it.

I tried a bit of streaming when i first got my S because the USB ports were oddly disconnected, however even with free premium connectivity there are spots in the UK that are not well served. Bluetooth on my phone works better, but at an audio quality hit.

Having to hit the USB icon, click a song each time the car is off for a while is ANNOYING, but they won't get me streaming!

Reactions: lccreech
Showing Superchargers on routes, even if NOT needed for the current journey!

I quite often go away for the weekend and the car will get me TO my destination on the current charge, however I quite often don't have destination charging, or don't want to faff with other apps and so forth, so pick a SC nearby on my route manually.

EG - Peterborough to Cheltenham (UK). Hopwood park is probably my closest on route 45miles from my destination, so I'll pop in there on the way and ensure a good 150-200, so i can get back there on the return trip with ease

Reactions: KITT 2.0

I quite often go away for the weekend and the car will get me TO my destination on the current charge, however I quite often don't have destination charging, or don't want to faff with other apps and so forth, so pick a SC nearby on my route manually.

EG - Peterborough to Cheltenham (UK). Hopwood park is probably my closest on route 45miles from my destination, so I'll pop in there on the way and ensure a good 150-200, so i can get back there on the return trip with ease
This is already available, just hit the SC icon on the map. You can tap any of them and "add to route". You can keep that icon selected so they always show.

You know there is one button to press for super chargers on the map right?