Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Use your phone. It’s not that hard.
The phone via BT is a half-ass solution. Audio volume is significantly lower when using BT/phone vs the native apps. Using Waze requires me to stick the phone on a mount off the main display or look down to the charging dock. Most of the other big names have figured out how to incorporate Car Play; surely so can Tesla. I'm with HighPotential though in that the seemingly easiest and cleanest approach would be to incorporate those features into the Navigation software or come up with their own version of Car Play that allows you to incorporate the apps on your phone to the main display.

Reactions: Drehrlenmeyer
I've just acquired a 2019 100D and I love the car, but there are a couple of GLARING OMISSIONS in the otherwise world-class software. First: NO SCHEDULED CHARGE START/STOP!!! you can either set a start time, or a stop time, but bizarrely not both, whcih is ridiculous! I've been driving electric for 3 1/2 years and between my wife and I, have owned 5 electric vehicles (and test driven many others). ALL other modern EVs have the ability to set a charging schedule, for cheap overnight electricity (so you can use a dumb charger). But not Tesla, with supposedly the best software in the world - bizarre!
Second: energy consumption reporting in watt-hours per mile in UK (and US) when ALL other EVs report in the culturally correct miles per kw/hr. PLEASE Telsa, add an optional setting to display in miles per kwhr!!

Reactions: pilotSteve
2 requests: (I have a 2020 Model S LR)

1) In cruise control, (with FSD, but not using navigation), have an option where it NEVER changes lanes without you initiating it. Just like normal cruise control, with traffic and traffic light awareness. Even when I select minimal lane changes, it still changes sometimes. Give me the option to stay in the same lane without deactivating FSD.

2) Bring back the option in cruise control to set an absolute value over the speed limit. It used to have an option of absolute, or percentage. Now it's only percentage. It makes ZERO sense why they removed it. Most people usually drive 5 mph over the limit. Why not let me choose to do that on cruise control? % based is absurd, in my opinion. and I would guess most people didn't use that feature when there was a choice. Either way, let me decide what I want to do. Don't remove one of the choices.

2) Bring back the option in cruise control to set an absolute value over the speed limit. It used to have an option of absolute, or percentage. Now it's only percentage. It makes ZERO sense why they removed it.
They removed it because NHTSA demand they do so. I would prefer they had two percentages. One for below 45 MPH, and one for at/above 45 MPH.

Reactions: C-Ball
One thing I would like is for the Navigation to have an option to sort our favorite destinations alphabetically. Having to scroll through the chronological list to find a place I visited several months ago is very time consuming. I know... "1st world problems', but it would be a nice feature to have. :)

Thanks!

- James
A huge YES fo the model 3! It also needs two sections 1 fav I don't wanted sorted, 2 the fav I want sorted

BMW has a feature called the "Backup Assistant." It's a feature that helps drivers reverse in tight spaces. It can be used when leaving parking spaces or maneuvering in confined spaces like winding driveways. It works by remembering how the driver drove into a spot and then automatically steering the driver back out. The system is always on at low speeds and records the last 50 meters of travel. It can remember up to 50 meters.

I love this feature on my other car and it seems like it would be relatively easy to implement on Teslas

BMW has a feature called the "Backup Assistant." It's a feature that helps drivers reverse in tight spaces. It can be used when leaving parking spaces or maneuvering in confined spaces like winding driveways. It works by remembering how the driver drove into a spot and then automatically steering the driver back out. The system is always on at low speeds and records the last 50 meters of travel. It can remember up to 50 meters.

I love this feature on my other car and it seems like it would be relatively easy to implement on Teslas
Does it account for environment changes? Let’s say I parallel park, but then a car in front or behind me moves or parks. What if I really sloppily (word?) parallel parked, made it work, but now a car is there. Will it plow through the car, not work at all or adjust?

Reactions: pilotSteve
Does it account for environment changes? Let’s say I parallel park, but then a car in front or behind me moves or parks. What if I really sloppily (word?) parallel parked, made it work, but now a car is there. Will it plow through the car, not work at all or adjust?
It does not account for environment changes. The use case is purely the long winding english countryside driveway. That's not to say that a Tesla wouldn't have the computational horsepower to account for these type of changes if they were to implement this feature.

Reactions: cwanja
As much as I dislike the capacitance steering wheel buttons for turn signals, they seem to be doubling down on them with the 3 and Y now, too. I was thinking that they could actually make them more useful than stalks in one way:

Idea: When the system detects your finger hovering over/touching a blinker button (but not pressing hard enough to activate), it could start showing the blind spot camera view (as opposed to the current behavior, where the view does not show up until you actually enable the blinker).

I find the blind spot camera view isn't that useful because I do at least as much of my blind spot checking before I enable the blinker, and the camera view doesn't currently exist at that time. So having the view show up as I start covering the button and looking around would make both the view and buttons a lot more useful...

Reactions: paulchou and Hank42
Story today on Teslarati about Norwegian driving schools having serious trouble with the directional buttons, for good reason. Personally I've hated them since day 1, and still do after 2+ years.

However, Murtaya, one thing I'm OK with is the way the blind spot camera works. While I don't do a full-blown head check before turning on the blinker, I do glance at my rear view mirror and listen for traffic (easier to do in an EV, especially since I usually drive without the sound system playing anything.) Thus by the time I hit the blinker button, the only additional info I need is what the blind spot camera gives me, and I'm good to go. Never had any trouble with it, and I'm getting to the age where I appreciate not having to do a head check.

Reactions: Murtaya
As much as I dislike the capacitance steering wheel buttons for turn signals, they seem to be doubling down on them with the 3 and Y now, too. I was thinking that they could actually make them more useful than stalks in one way:

Idea: When the system detects your finger hovering over/touching a blinker button (but not pressing hard enough to activate), it could start showing the blind spot camera view (as opposed to the current behavior, where the view does not show up until you actually enable the blinker).

I find the blind spot camera view isn't that useful because I do at least as much of my blind spot checking before I enable the blinker, and the camera view doesn't currently exist at that time. So having the view show up as I start covering the button and looking around would make both the view and buttons a lot more useful...

I think the more elegant solution is just to have the side mirror showing a yellow warning icon anytime something is in its blind spot, afterall, that's pretty much what all other cars seem to do these days and it works well.

I am pessimistic about Tesla doing this - Elon is great in terms of his vision but he can sometimes be "stuck" in the future and insist his products to be in suboptimal conditions, at least for now. Examples include yoke steering, removing of the ultrasonic sensor, and this, etc.

Don't get me wrong--there are many much better approaches like the side mirror warning icon lights (and I honestly still just use blindspot mirrors on my cars). But I wouldn't expect Franz' and Elon's egos to let such smart, tried and true designs get past them.

I was just trying to think of a redeemable feature for the capacitance turn buttons

I think the more elegant solution is just to have the side mirror showing a yellow warning icon anytime something is in its blind spot, afterall, that's pretty much what all other cars seem to do these days and it works well.
The blind-spot camera, appearing on the screen(to the right of the driver) when making a left turn is counter-intuitive for me. I much prefer the warning indicator in the direction I am looking in. I know that these are all stepping stones to the ultimate vision(no pun intended) of doing away with the sideview mirrors altogether, and _perhaps_ replacing them with LCD inside the vehicle approximately within the same field of vision of where one would look for the left and right mirrors. Until then who says we need an led ON the mirror - it could be placed on the left and right sides of the dash, or doors - still within your field of view when looking at the sideview mirror. At the risk of getting a chair thrown at me, all this useful data would be better delivered in a HUD, not a central screen.
(ducks from flying chairs)

I applaud the ideas for how to optimize the capacitive touch buttons - these guys have the right idea:

I'd like to see more of the critical information for small LCD screen behind the steering wheel moved more to the center so it's not blocked by the round steering wheel. Wasn't an issue in the 2012 Model S with larger steering wheel.

Same for the center screen. Move some of the information rightwards so it's not blocked by right side of steering wheel from view.

Started this thread 2 weeks before I got my Model S and I'm selling my P85 today and getting my long range Model S. It's been a great car with so many upgrades via software alone. Tesla really did something right with the original Model S. Hoping they can do even more when they redesign it at some point from ground up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hank42