Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Specs and Standard Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
iPhone, iPod, windows phone, android phone, USB stick, portable drive. The point is that you have options. The base iPhone is still 8GB not 16.

Well, as I said with A2DP Bluetooth streaming, it's a cumbersome option at best (so that really rules out non-Apple products). It may be good for a passenger if he wants to stream his content while along for a ride, but you'd be best to use an iPhone/iPod so that you can fully browse the music on the touchscreen. And no, the base iPod and iPhone 4S (the current generation) is 16GB.

Well, as I said with A2DP Bluetooth streaming, it's a cumbersome option at best (so that really rules out non-Apple products). It may be good for a passenger if he wants to stream his content while along for a ride, but you'd be best to use an iPhone/iPod so that you can fully browse the music on the touchscreen. And no, the base iPod and iPhone 4S (the current generation) is 16GB.

Not true, you can plug in a windows or android phone and have them function in media mode (wp7 is a bit trickier, android works out the box). No A2DP there, they basically function as portable hard drives. My wife has an 8GB iPhone 4, so I guess the 16GB minimum is new.

Phones aside, a USB stick would do the trick too.

I for one have 200gb of lossless format music from my cd collection. That is not unusual at all for audiophiles. I would assume that the audience for the model S includes many people like me. By the way, my 64gb iPhone is always a disapointment as it can only hold a small fraction of my music.

Not true, you can plug in a windows or android phone and have them function in media mode (wp7 is a bit trickier, android works out the box). No A2DP there, they basically function as portable hard drives. My wife has an 8GB iPhone 4, so I guess the 16GB minimum is new.

Phones aside, a USB stick would do the trick too.

OK that's good to know about the media mode of the phones. But while I think that is all nice to have, I still feel Tesla cheaped out on the integrated storage. They might as well not include it at all AFAIC if they're going to ask people to use their phones, USB thumb drives, etc. If that were the case, so be it. But don't include storage and be cheap about it. It's a head scratcher.

Most people I know. How's that? The point is, they need only look at the sizes offered with the iPod/iPhone. 16GB is the lowest capacity you can get with those devices. And although people store more than music on them, people clearly see the need to have more than just 16GB of storage since they are offered in sizes up to 64GB (and that's just with the flash based models. The iPod Classic has far larger capacity). And again, this is somewhat besides the point. Given how inexpensive it would have been to use 64GB, they should have offered that capacity with the nearly $1000 Premium Audio package upgrade and made the standard equipment 16GB.

And it's also worth mentioning that not everyone of us has an iPhone. It'd be nice to simply have most music stored directly on the car's storage.

Agreed! 16G is way too small. I could probably live with the 40kw pack, but not with 16G... :)

Having to choose between your music collection is a pain in the neck, that's why my latest tablet has 250G, yes tablet, not desktop.

Is this car really coming from Silicon Valley? :)

I'm as big a Model S cheerleader as the next guy/girl...but I think Tesla's really failing in this department. 2 Fails that I see:

Fail #1:

If the sound system is as good as Elon's pumped it up to be, then you'll want quality digital music files. That probably means 256-320 kbps minimum. BARE minimum. That presents 2 issues:

1) Most people (that I know of) don't store high quality music files on their portable music players. (In fact, iTunes specifically has an option to compress music down further when you put it on an iPad/iPhone/iPod. Personally, most of the music on my iPhone is around 192kbps, which probably won't sound stellar on a quality sound system. Compression artifacts are most noticeable in the 128-192 kbps level in the mid-high range in particular (hi-hats, for example). I think that's due to the Nyquist Theorum....but anyway :eek: haha...

2) I have the suspicion that Tesla's using an average song size of about 5 MB....when they estimate X number of songs... just not enough.

Fail #2:

Giant display, no video? Seriously? Force it to only play back while parked...that's fine...but no video?!? Elon...need to you come to the rescue on this one...

No dedicated subwoofer?! One'd have to get the Sound Studio Package option (with the Dolby 7.1 system) for that, I guess.
Yeah its a little disappointing that the subwoofer is not available with the base package.

Flash memory storage for up to 500 songs.
I think music storage should have a 1000 to 1500 songs but I guess its water under the bridge now.

The problem with Bluetooth A2DP is that you likely won't be able to use the Model S's beautiful touchscreen and interface to browse and play your music. You'd have to cumbersomely do so on your cell phone.
BT comes in various flavors. The latest revisions allow devices to exchange a lot of info, including the metadata. So, a good question to ask Tesla is - what BT profiles (and versions) do you support. What you need is not just the old A2DP - but the newer AVRCP 1.4.

Windows Phone 7.5 supports 1.4 (IIRC) - but Leaf supports only 1.3. So, I get metadata of what I'm playing but can't browse the music.

Supporting 1.4 would also allow Tesla to get all the needed info to be able to have a rich UI for browing / searching for music - as well as display neat music metadata when playing. I wish one day the car dash will approach the ease of use of WP7 Zune (or iPhone).

Bluetooth profile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This profile is designed to provide a standard interface to control TVs, Hi-fi equipment, etc. to allow a single remote control (or other device) to control all of the A/V equipment to which a user has access. It may be used in concert with A2DP or VDP.

It has the possibility for vendor-dependent extensions.

AVRCP has several versions with significantly increasing functionality:
1.0—Basic remote control commands (play/pause/stop, etc.)
1.3—all of 1.0 plus metadata and media-player state support The status of the music source (playing, stopped, etc.)
Metadata information on the track itself (artist, track name, etc.).

1.4—all of 1.0, 1.3, plus media browsing capabilities for multiple media players Browsing and manipulation of multiple players
Browsing of media metadata per media player, including a "Now Playing" list
Basic search capabilities

May be we should start a new thread on this.

Are folks going to really sync music into the Tesla? I'm guessing Tesla is betting on folks plugging in their phone or doing bluetooth ... in my case, they bet correctly. I'd never spend the time doing that -- my music changes too much and I use various apps (built-in, spotify, pandora, etc.) ... I sure as heck don't need another place to sync my music to, and something that's not going to sync my spotify stuff, etc ... heck, I'm hoping there'll be a spotify app and it'll sync music there (nowhere near 16 gig) or I'll stream it.

Are folks going to really sync music into the Tesla? I'm guessing Tesla is betting on folks plugging in their phone or doing bluetooth ... in my case, they bet correctly. I'd never spend the time doing that -- my music changes too much and I use various apps (built-in, spotify, pandora, etc.) ... I sure as heck don't need another place to sync my music to, and something that's not going to sync my spotify stuff, etc ... heck, I'm hoping there'll be a spotify app and it'll sync music there (nowhere near 16 gig) or I'll stream it.

I too will stream or play via my phone but some may want the option of having their music in the car.

BT comes in various flavors. The latest revisions allow devices to exchange a lot of info, including the metadata. So, a good question to ask Tesla is - what BT profiles (and versions) do you support. What you need is not just the old A2DP - but the newer AVRCP 1.4.

Windows Phone 7.5 supports 1.4 (IIRC) - but Leaf supports only 1.3. So, I get metadata of what I'm playing but can't browse the music.

Supporting 1.4 would also allow Tesla to get all the needed info to be able to have a rich UI for browing / searching for music - as well as display neat music metadata when playing. I wish one day the car dash will approach the ease of use of WP7 Zune (or iPhone).

Thanks for bringing that to our (and hopefully Tesla's) attention. That's pretty cool what's supported in AVRCP 1.4, and I certainly hope that Tesla does indeed support it.

I for one have 200gb of lossless format music from my cd collection. That is not unusual at all for audiophiles. I would assume that the audience for the model S includes many people like me. By the way, my 64gb iPhone is always a disapointment as it can only hold a small fraction of my music.

+1
There is no cd drive in the Model S, which is why the internal hard drive size and need to accommodate WAV is so important to audio enthusiasts. FLAC support would be a great way to allow quality sound and more usability with a smaller Hard Drive.

+1 for FLAC.

Also, I saw a post over on the Tesla Motors forums that indicated that Pandora might not be available for the first batch of Model S cars due to a licensing issue.

I would definitely like to see Pandora available. I would like to see MOG even more, as it has way better sound quality. I recently switched from Rhapsody to MOG because of better sounds quality. I figure there will not be many choices at first, but over time, Tesla will add more options. Hopefully be able to upgrade OTA.