Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 90D arrived in Cleveland last Tuesday. Pickup scheduled for last Thursday. On Wednesday noon my DS called to delay pickup due to "issue with the parking break". No further details as of Friday pm. Had anyone else had this? Should I be worried it's significantly more than this that's wrong? Did I get a lemon?

Would appreciate comments and advice.
I frankly would not be concerned. BE HAPPY that Tesla caught some manufacturing issue in their pre-delivery process. Things could always happen in the plant and get resolved with an owner never even hearing about it. I'm not aware of pervasive issues with the brake, and people tend to post anything potentially bad somewhere around TMC -- but not post what is likely the more normal "everything is peachy keen" sorta thing.

I know waiting a bit longer for your MS is a royal pain in the !(#$*@#$ and it's what in part makes you wonder what's going on. Just hang in there and you'll have your new toy soon.

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden and YBT
I'm not aware of pervasive issues with the brake, and people tend to post anything potentially bad somewhere around TMC -- but not post what is likely the more normal "everything is peachy keen" sorta thing.

I've had my new Model S for a 11 days and over 700 miles and I haven't had a single problem. Should I be worried? Most importantly, I want to know what is Tesla going to do about it!? ;-)

Enjoy these fantastic cars!

My 90D arrived in Cleveland last Tuesday. Pickup scheduled for last Thursday. On Wednesday noon my DS called to delay pickup due to "issue with the parking break". No further details as of Friday pm. Had anyone else had this? Should I be worried it's significantly more than this that's wrong? Did I get a lemon?

Would appreciate comments and advice.
Like the others here, I would not worry. And don't equate the length of delay with the severity of the problem. Its a long weekend, a popular vacation week (for Tesla service techs too) and the boom in recent deliveries has probably created some high-pressure backlog that needs to be moved out/booked.. Congrats and enjoy!

I have a charge port opening issue that just surfaced after uploading 2.24.102. I'm posting here vs the 7.1 thread until I/we determine 100% that it's related to the update.

Issue - when the car is charging and I try to stop the charging and remove the cable, I cannot do so from the fob. My usual practice has been to double click the center portion of the fob to unlock the car. Then the charge port is unlocked and I can depress the button on the charging cable, the port ring turns white and I remove the cable. Now when I unlock the car from the fob, and then depress the cable button the charge port cycles through to white but just for a second, then turns green. The only way I have been able to remove the cable is to manually stop the charging from my iPhone.

I just had the car at the Service Center July 1 for the annual/12,500 mile service (learned that annual isn't really annual:)). And of course when I got home I received the firmware update notification. I was on vacation til July 6th and updated the software the morning of the 7th, and then began noticing this issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I have a charge port opening issue that just surfaced after uploading 2.24.102. I'm posting here vs the 7.1 thread until I/we determine 100% that it's related to the update.

Issue - when the car is charging and I try to stop the charging and remove the cable, I cannot do so from the fob. My usual practice has been to double click the center portion of the fob to unlock the car. Then the charge port is unlocked and I can depress the button on the charging cable, the port ring turns white and I remove the cable. Now when I unlock the car from the fob, and then depress the cable button the charge port cycles through to white but just for a second, then turns green. The only way I have been able to remove the cable is to manually stop the charging from my iPhone.

I just had the car at the Service Center July 1 for the annual/12,500 mile service (learned that annual isn't really annual:)). And of course when I got home I received the firmware update notification. I was on vacation til July 6th and updated the software the morning of the 7th, and then began noticing this issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Yes, I encountered the same problem. I would do as you do and press the cable button and see it turn briefly white. I discovered I now have to hold the button the entire time I am removing the cable, otherwise it locks again. Hope this helps.

Yes, I encountered the same problem. I would do as you do and press the cable button and see it turn briefly white. I discovered I now have to hold the button the entire time I am removing the cable, otherwise it locks again. Hope this helps.

Thank you! That worked. I like a simple solution:). Just seems odd that suddenly I have to alter how I operate. Oh well.

Brief update: After technicians worked on my faulty parking brake they identified the wire harness as the culprit. After several days (10 in total) the technicians were unable to identify the exact problem in the "80 miles of wiring". My DS sensed that I was becoming uncomfortable with this particular car (what else is wrong in the 80 miles of wiring?), so he offered a new build. A very good solution - I am in no particular hurry.

Reactions: Zybd1201 and BertL
Brief update: After technicians worked on my faulty parking brake they identified the wire harness as the culprit. After several days (10 in total) the technicians were unable to identify the exact problem in the "80 miles of wiring". My DS sensed that I was becoming uncomfortable with this particular car (what else is wrong in the 80 miles of wiring?), so he offered a new build. A very good solution - I am in no particular hurry.
what do you mean by a new build?

Anyone had problems with creaking from the steeringwheel? Not the steeringwheel itself, but when manouvering at slow speed (i.e. when parking) i get some creaking/clicking sounds fron the steeringwheel. You can hear it quite well outside the car. Might be something with the steering-rack.

I`m quite sure it`s not related to the undercarriage or suspention. I had a problem with a bolt on my old S85 that made a sound every time I turned the wheel all the way in parking scenarios. And I know how defective parts in the undercarriage sounds and feels. This is different. It`s sudden creaks from the steering-rack. Very noticeable both inside and outside the car. Like the sound when hard plastic snaps. But since it`s so loud outside the car, and constant, it`s probably not plastic.

Reason why I`m asking is:
1. Is it a known error/what`s the problem
2. Is it easy to fix
3. Is it dangerous

I`m going on holiday very soon. The chance of getting an appointment at a service center here in Oslo within a week are slim. But I might try if it`s important to get it looked at before a long vacation/road trip.

I have the exact same problem with my S70D delivered just 2 weeks ago.. I noticed the creaking noise shortly after I took possession of the car. I made an appointment today to have the noise checked. The Service person who took my information told me that this was a known problem and that a "service bulletin" had been issued and that Tesla was working on a solution. It was not considered a safety issue, but was something that was going to be addressed. That said, my service appointment is a month from now so I won't get an answer any time soon... Hope this helps!

I've owned my '13 S P85 for a couple of months, up to 66k miles on it. When i gently tap on the accelerator whether it be drive or reverse the initial tap generates this strange clicking sound, not sure if its drive shaft or from the motor. Is this a normal sound?

Hey guys a follow up from my service visit and my post form March 5th..got my vehicle back about 2 weeks ago, my suspension is now pulling to the right and my screen still needs repair : ( Another visit. But service center has been great.

upload_2016-7-14_11-17-13.png

upload_2016-7-14_11-18-44.png

I think I saw someone else report this but can't find it. Yesterday I got an error message in the IC, something to the effect that "Service needed, Power reduced" (didn't have a camera handy for a picture). I managed to limp home on very reduced power, mostly <20 kW but it got down below 10 kW and down to 12 mph on the steepest portion (14% grade) of the thousand foot hill I use to get to my neighborhood. "Power reduced" indeed! I was fortunate that nobody was behind me.

When I got home and the car shut off I started it again and the message was gone. I took the car out for a couple of miles and everything seemed normal. Made a call to the Tesla roadside number and chose the service center option but nobody picked up (Friday evening). Didn't really need roadside assistance at that point.

Now, of course, I don't know whether I can trust the car; I plan to make a trip down the hill again today and will see what happens. The obvious thing to do, schedule an immediate service visit, is difficult since I am 337 miles from the Denver Service Center and 376 miles from the Salt Lake City Service Center. But I'll do it if I have to, although if the power gets reduced again it is tow time since 10-20 kW isn't going to cut it on hundreds of miles of freeway and mountains.

Anyone have this happen before? Is it safe to drive the car?

Edit: Called the Denver Service Center and they are going to try to figure out what is going on by pulling the logs. Since this is my only car I don't have other options for getting around short of calling neighbors.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: NikeWings