Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's reminiscent of a problem we had with our Roadster, where the CAN-BUS wires got chafed and shorted and started garbling random bus messages. You definitely have a problem, but it's probably none of the things being reported...
fortunately not my car. They are thinking it is a ground issue. I think that makes sense but it also may be very hard to find the problem if that is the case

We went to pick up our S70 yesterday. It is an inventory car with about 3000 miles.

During the test drive, auto-pilot couldn't switch into the left lane. We tried this in several spots. The road was completely clear and the lanes were clear. It was able to switch into the right lane. We were able to self-park ok as well.

They are going to look at it Monday. However, has anybody seen this reported before? Anything to be concerned about?

@tech_dad, Congrats on your new-to-you MS.

The issue isn't pervasive... At least from what's reported here that I've read over then past year. Perhaps you have a stalk that is broken when pushed only in a certain direction. Honestly, AP is something that can be turned off, and shouldn't impare safety of your MS, so while the defect is an inconvenience, I wouldn't worry about it. Fortunately Tesla was able to get you in for service quickly and I'm sure they'll take care of you.

Hi guys,

I had an awful drive home this afternoon in 91 degree weather with an A/C that is broken I think.
AC was working fine this morning, went to work then supercharged on my way back home... After charging I noticed my cabin to get hotter and hotter, put it on manual mode, temp: LO and fan speed 11 and all i heard was the fan going but very limited airflow coming from the vents.

I tried to change the airflow manually, turned A/C on and off, tried reseting too... nothing my AC is busted I think. Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks in advance.

Hi guys,

I had an awful drive home this afternoon in 91 degree weather with an A/C that is broken I think.
AC was working fine this morning, went to work then supercharged on my way back home... After charging I noticed my cabin to get hotter and hotter, put it on manual mode, temp: LO and fan speed 11 and all i heard was the fan going but very limited airflow coming from the vents.

I tried to change the airflow manually, turned A/C on and off, tried reseting too... nothing my AC is busted I think. Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks in advance.
Did you try Range Mode OFF?

Hi guys,

At 90+ degrees, the battery may have needed cooling during and after supercharging. The car prioritises cooling the battery over cooling the car ...

At 90+ degrees, the battery may have needed cooling during and after supercharging. The car prioritises cooling the battery over cooling the car ...

Range mode on (I've never turned this off).

I confirmed with Tesla over the phone that the car's battery after 90 degree weather and 30 mins of supercharging to 90% was prioritizing cooling of the battery over the cabin...

It was crazy hot! I restored to opening all of my windows...

I confirmed with Tesla over the phone that the car's battery after 90 degree weather and 30 mins of supercharging to 90% was prioritizing cooling of the battery over the cabin...

It was crazy hot! I restored to opening all of my windows...

Curious whether your car was running while supercharging?
I've supercharged in the desert with 110+ temps outside and never experienced this.

I would consider turning range mode off as it limits the cooling system for both the cabin and the battery. With range mode off, the battery starts cooling itself around 90 degrees (30C), but with range mode on the battery may not cool until about 100 degrees (40C).

Range mode is most useful in the winter to avoid using a lot of battery power to warm the battery, especially on short trips. It will save power even when it is hot, by allowing the battery to run hotter and reducing cabin AC power, Range mode is best used in hot weather at cruising speed with good airflow, not when parked in the sun or when supercharging with the AC on.

This is terrible living in Florida 25% of the drivers on the road are uninsured as it is now they don't want to cover autopilot accidents. Florida being a no fault state makes insurance terrible.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ No truer words have been spoken. WHY thy can't get these uninsured OFF the road is beyond me. No insurance, TAKE THE PLATE. I know some that take out a month to month policy then cancel after one month. If they have a lien holder, the insurance co should notify DOT and have plate or car impounded. FLorida has to be the worst state for insurance except maybe CA or NY. :mad: I feel sorry for young drivers having to pay +$2500/year just to have insurance on top of the car payment. Kinda forces you to live with mom and dad in some cases. o_O

This is terrible living in Florida 25% of the drivers on the road are uninsured as it is now they don't want to cover autopilot accidents. Florida being a no fault state makes insurance terrible.

So, setting aside both the Florida aspect and the fact that the insurance industry is the spawn of Satan, its actually an interesting concept. At the top level a driver has to own up to screwing up, or they don't get covered. No more blaming autopilot.

It also opens up an interesting space for future coverage. At some point an inversion in the industry will reward drivers who allow vehicles to drive autonomously, instead of punish them. Being first to market with such an insurance product could pay off well--Insurers early to adopt autonomous driving could still charge quite a premium but would incur fewer claims. Tesla could even create an insurance spin-off and essentially self insure their vehicles! [At least, when being used in full autonomous mode]