Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We need a new forum called DIY REPAIRS (or a witty equivalent).
When I do something to my BMW motorcycle I look up i-BMW and see if there are instructions. Most of the time some kind individual has done it and posted notes. Many times with step by step and pictures. There are enough Tesla Model S out now to warrant this topic here. Moderators will have to be fairly callous in deleting useless posts or we will wind up with pictures of cats and naked women when we want pictures of parts.

We need a new forum called DIY REPAIRS (or a witty equivalent).
When I do something to my BMW motorcycle I look up i-BMW and see if there are instructions. Most of the time some kind individual has done it and posted notes. Many times with step by step and pictures. There are enough Tesla Model S out now to warrant this topic here. Moderators will have to be fairly callous in deleting useless posts or we will wind up with pictures of cats and naked women when we want pictures of parts.
But I like naked women and cats.

I need to DIY my pumper cover removal. Anyone have a good source for instructions on that? Thx.

Had an interesting issue occur today. Parked the car in an outside lot, and when I came back fob would not work. Before I could try the phone app, a maintenance guy (for the development I was visiting) came up and told me that the nearby cell tower antennae were the cause. He moved the fob to the back of my rear windshield mid-way up and then everything worked. Once my wife was inside, I let the car lock itself again, and tried the unlock button on the Tesla app on my phone, which also works. Hope I am never in a spot where there is no cell signal and other radio interference. That would suck.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
Had an interesting issue occur today. Parked the car in an outside lot, and when I came back fob would not work. Before I could try the phone app, a maintenance guy (for the development I was visiting) came up and told me that the nearby cell tower antennae were the cause. He moved the fob to the back of my rear windshield mid-way up and then everything worked. Once my wife was inside, I let the car lock itself again, and tried the unlock button on the Tesla app on my phone, which also works. Hope I am never in a spot where there is no cell signal and other radio interference. That would suck.
I reported the same experience about four years ago at the top parking lot at Twin Peaks in San Francisco. Fortunately the iPhone app worked to unlock the car. We were giving visiting friends a tour, and between Martin and myself who are both licensed ham radio operators figured out that it had to be interference by the nearby transmission towers. I have been making a point to park in the lower parking lot since then ...

• Informative
Reactions: doofenshmirtz
I reported the same experience about four years ago at the top parking lot at Twin Peaks in San Francisco. Fortunately the iPhone app worked to unlock the car. We were giving visiting friends a tour, and between Martin and myself who are both licensed ham radio operators figured out that it had to be interference by the nearby transmission towers. I have been making a point to park in the lower parking lot since then ...

Thanks for sharing. I used search but didn't find your post prior to posting mine. Another good reason to make sure I always have my phone with me. Btw, the maintenance guy said he's seen this be an issue for other car owners. He mentioned Subaru as another one. It was actually a valet lot by a really good restaurant in Baltimore - Woodberry Kitchen, which is in a development. It occurred to me that I should share the location for other owners in the area, especially since the valets had no idea what was wrong..

Here it is: Locked out of our Model S (with easy solution)

I called Owner Support the next day and they hadn't heard of it being an issue at Twin Peaks. The rep knew of similar instances having happened to mostly other brands (he mentioned Audi) on a mountain top with antennas near LA. He knew about cars having to be flat bed towed a couple of miles away to make them accessible again.

@Klaus Thanks for sharing. Some additional insight in the thread.

Over the weekend we decide to take our 2 week old 90D for our first 'trip' away from home for the day and about 30 miles into the trip the instrument panel goes blank. After trying to reboot the display and shutting the car down and restarting I noticed a notification on the center console that "Instrument Panel Too Hot. Display is off". Made the rest of the 300 mile trip kind of interesting using Waze to get an estimate of speed. Oh well, service center replaced the panel yesterday, hopefully this is the last of the early failures.

• Informative
Reactions: gfab333
Anyone else getting constant "loading errors" on their Music System? Seems to be happening more and more lately and the source doesn't seem to matter. Does it on Streaming as often as it does on straight from the USB port.
yes, I'm seeing lots of loading errors lately, especially on USB playback - I'm on 17.26.76 since last week and it seems much worse than previous version (but was getting the errors then, too) - it can't seem to make it through a whole album without loading errors every few songs. Slacker less frequently gets loading errors too, but frequency doesn't seem much changed over past several software versions.

Hopefully those encountering Media Player issues are taking an extra moment to also officially report their dissatisfaction with Tesla. [email protected]

Posting here is generally good for one's soul, but since this isn't an officially monitored forum, more likely than not, does nothing to help Tesla know there are real issues, effecting multiple owners, that we care about. Problem reports re MP have largely gone without resolution in the past, but I for one, have still not completely given up trying. Thanks to others who also keep up the charge!

Reactions: Pilot_51
Anyone else getting constant "loading errors" on their Music System? Seems to be happening more and more lately and the source doesn't seem to matter. Does it on Streaming as often as it does on straight from the USB port.
I occasionally get load error when starting to stream. It seems to me to be associated with either switching from home wifi to LTE or a weak LTE signal. Usually resolves itself fairly quickly.

Hopefully those encountering Media Player issues are taking an extra moment to also officially report their dissatisfaction with Tesla. [email protected]

Posting here is generally good for one's soul, but since this isn't an officially monitored forum, more likely than not, does nothing to help Tesla know there are real issues, effecting multiple owners, that we care about. Problem reports re MP have largely gone without resolution in the past, but I for one, have still not completely given up trying. Thanks to others who also keep up the charge!
I'm doing it now. Thank you. Tesla used to monitor these forums and would usually shoot me an email in fairly short order. I guess that's changed... I'll send them a link to this topic within this thread as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: jerry33 and BertL
Yes, USB is definitely an issue. Some songs only play a short time and then restart. The recirc icon now repeats the song rather than the entire list. At the end of the list it just stops, a reinsertion of the USB is required to get it going again from the beginning. Sometimes songs go on pause for no reason, other times there are just errors. Each of the last three or four upgrades has made this worse.

I've been getting a humming sound (from the motor?) when i start the car. Not every time, but when it happens it's very noticeable. It seems like it's usually really hot out and when i'm cranking the AC, but not sure if that really has anything to do with it. The sound/vibration usually goes away within a minute or two.

Does anyone know if this is normal?

I've got a May 2017 MS 75D fwiw