Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem is that you are searching for locations on Google maps and then it is passing on to a Garmin navigation system. The two systems don't have exactly the same map database so this will continue to happen until they offer to display the Garmin maps on the center screen and search for locations directly in the Garmin system.

That's insane. But in any case if it is Garmins fault it's really bad because I've tried many gps over the years and never seen one not locate my home in a completely wrong place!

I also have not found any place to set a destination by pointing to a map point or anywhere to set a home favorite in the GPS

Another option may be the 9:1 gear reduction set making noise when it is lightly loaded. Spur (straight cut) gears are the most efficient but can be noisy. Perhaps Tesla used these and thus the set emits some noise when lightly loaded.

Interesting thought, I hadn't thought about that, thanks:)
What strikes me as so odd is that I didn't hear this for the first couple of months. Then all of a sudden it is there. Unfortunately I am a bit embarrassed to take people for rides, at least, not after I have told them how quiet the car is;-)
It really isn't that loud, but when you compare it with the serene silence of the rest of the experience it is very jarring.

Today was a little weird. I daily drive the car since I've gotten the car (Oct) and even made some trips with it - and today was the first day I heard a hum towards the back of the car. "When did the S get a muffler?" The only time I hear it is at highway speed though (60mph+). I'm curious as to whether it's the inverter. Nothing has really changed - I had 4.0 pushed by Service about 2 weeks ago, but didn't hear it then (with and without music). I also got the notice for 4.1 update and a tire pressure warning today.

Gremlins?

It's likely they used a half-height double-pole breaker (e.g., GE type THQP) in a slot that wasn't intended to have a double-pole breaker. There are only certain positions in most panels in which tandem breakers can be used -- they don't have the stabs for 240V service.

Either that, or they wired it up as a 50A, 120V circuit instead, but then I'd have to ask where you found your electrician...

- - - Updated - - -

That's what happens when a half-height double-pole breaker is used in the wrong slot. The two hots end up on the same buss stab. This could also happen if someone did something very unsafe, like using 2 non-joined single-pole breakers in the wrong slots, but in that case I'd have to ask who the electrician was and bop them on the head. :)

Nit-pick: it's "same leg". With rare exception, home services are center-tapped, single-phase. :)

i'll just chime in to say that this is likely what happened. i had to use half-height breakers in my install, did it myself, and yes they have to be in an 'even' position in the panel, so that both a and b leg rails are contacted. otherwise you just get two conductors of the same leg at your receptacle, will not make 240V. was waiting till i got my car to test it before weighing in, but i am charging at full 40A, 230V at the 14-50, as expected. of course i also put a meter on the receptacle as i was wiring so i knew it was wired correctly.. but who knows what voodoo is in that little box on the UMC with the cylon eyes...:)

think you (read: your licensed electrician) just need to jigger your breakers around a bit and you will be all set.

fwiw.

The problem is that you are searching for locations on Google maps and then it is passing on to a Garmin navigation system. The two systems don't have exactly the same map database so this will continue to happen until they offer to display the Garmin maps on the center screen and search for locations directly in the Garmin system.
I believe the dashboard navigation is Navigon, not Garmin. Don't think they're related. I have used the Navigon apps on my iPhone for a couple of years and can attest to it's accuracy.

Today was a little weird. I daily drive the car since I've gotten the car (Oct) and even made some trips with it - and today was the first day I heard a hum towards the back of the car. "When did the S get a muffler?" The only time I hear it is at highway speed though (60mph+). I'm curious as to whether it's the inverter. Nothing has really changed - I had 4.0 pushed by Service about 2 weeks ago, but didn't hear it then (with and without music). I also got the notice for 4.1 update and a tire pressure warning today.

Gremlins?

There is a low hum at 60+ yes -- it's the drivetrain (I confirmed it with service recently). The pitch increases with speed.