Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
rear liftgate lock won't engage

Just arrived at home after a little Saturday drive with my family. Car is now at 600km. When trying to close the rear liftgate, I missed the solid sound of the lock doing its job. I have manual rear liftgate, no tech package. And yes, the lock did not engage, and I could lift the gate again. Knowing that most problems of this car result from software glitches, I tried to reset the touch screen with liftgate open, then close it again. No success. Next will try to pull some fuses.

How do I make my lock work again?

Just arrived at home after a little Saturday drive with my family. Car is now at 600km. When trying to close the rear liftgate, I missed the solid sound of the lock doing its job. I have manual rear liftgate, no tech package. And yes, the lock did not engage, and I could lift the gate again. Knowing that most problems of this car result from software glitches, I tried to reset the touch screen with liftgate open, then close it again. No success. Next will try to pull some fuses.

When my S was brand new, it didn't close well. The SC guys told me that the trunk seal just needed to be broken in and sure enough after a few weeks it was fixed all by itself.

It could be that the rubber stoppers on the side of the trunk have moved slightly. There are knobs at the corners of the liftgate itself and also some adjustable rubber knobs that are on the car itself about half way up where the liftgate meets the car. The hatch might not be closing enough to allow the lock mechanism to engage. Adjust those a bit to give the liftgate more room to close and see if that helps.

If it's not a spacer issue, then it may be some other part of the seal or the locking mechanism itself. The lock mechanism would probably need to be looked at by the service center.

Also the rubber spacer knobs are also related to helping solve the low frequency thumping sound some owners had issues with.

I left my car in a parking lot last week and when I came back to the car the front passenger window was open. It appears to have opened itself while we were away from the car. Has anyone else had an issue like that?

I had some issues with door handles early on (turned out they were all software, because since 4.5 they've worked perfectly, and I still have the original handles)--but I've never seen any issues with windows rolling themselves down.

I left my car in a parking lot last week and when I came back to the car the front passenger window was open. It appears to have opened itself while we were away from the car. Has anyone else had an issue like that?

I had the exact same thing with the rear passenger side window. Folks on this forum "convinced" me it was user error and that it was likely my knee inadvertently hitting the switch on the door. I'm not so sure, but the forum members were adamant. It only happened once to me.

I had the exact same thing with the rear passenger side window. Folks on this forum "convinced" me it was user error and that it was likely my knee inadvertently hitting the switch on the door. I'm not so sure, but the forum members were adamant. It only happened once to me.
Happens all the time to me. My left knee ends up bumping the rear passenger window button. I return to the car to find the rear window down. Worst was when I was going thru a touchless car wash and suddenly found the car filling with soapy water from the high pressure sprayer!

yea i occasionally open the sunroof when i'm making a sharp turn because my hand brushes up against the click-wheel on the steering wheel.

My screen isn't coming on.

1. Went to charge our Model S and the touchscreen will not respond. At All.

2. Start tiny panic.

3. Run inside to the forum (This is what hubs [@pete8314] would do if he were here, but he's out)

4. Forum says to hold down scroll wheels for 10-15 seconds. Kid yells about being hungry.
Yell something back about dinner being later, Mommy having crisis.

5. Run outside to practice the scroll wheel thingy and save the day. It doesn't work.

6. Walk angrily back inside to re-read the forum instructions. Yep, I was right, but lets try again, just to be sure.

7. Nothing. Did I break it? I've not been in it, despite my desperate desire to drive it to the office.

8. Call Tesla. I hate using the phone. They have me try to power it down. NO response. They can't reach the car, nor can I (via phone app).

9. Waiting for call back from Tesla or a Ranger visit.

10. Panic attack in full swing.

Any ideas????? Even just a word of encouragement would be helpful. I've tried breathing into a bag. No help. I think I have some vodka. I know I have chocolate. I probably have to feed the child.

Please clarify.
Car is parked and you ran out to charge. No response from touch screen. As in black, no screen?
Any idea of the firmware version? As in sleep mode.
Did you try sitting in the seat? Press the brake? Dash screen life?
Charge port respond to UMC to open port?
Are you certain you held both scroll wheels consistently for 15+ seconds?

Aside from mknox's comment, the only thing I can think of is that the car may roll down the windows if it detects that the 12V is failing - apparently so you don't get locked out of the car. (Personally I think this is massively dumb. I'd rather get locked out than my possessions stolen out of the car.)

- - - Updated - - -

1. Went to charge our Model S and the touchscreen will not respond. At All.

Your 12V is probably dead. You may be able to boost it by prying off the nose cone and hooking to a 12V booster pack (or another car but DO NOT start the other car).

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I'm not always this daft.

@steve841: Yes, black, no screen. The dash screen is fine, however. No issues...tells me I'm to wait until the Touchscreen powers on. I don't know the firmware version, but I think we're current. Doesn't appear to be a sleep mode issue.

Sat in the seat, pressed the brake. Tried to move to R to see if screen powered on. First, it told me I needed to wait for touchscreen. On second time and I think after the scroll wheels touch (yep, a full 15-30 seconds. a few times), it did let me go in reverse, but without the touch screen/back-up cam, I don't trust myself getting out of garage.

Tesla advised to hold down the buttons above the scroll wheels, on either side (the voice command and the FFWD buttons) for 15 seconds (went for a minute) WHILE pressing the brake. This didn't do anything. We waited for it all to reset, but nothing.

The little charger port thingy (I don't know what it's called) opened fine, flashed blue, but doesn't charge at all, goes dark after a couple minutes.

Good Times. Good Times. Probably is the dead 12V thing. Because hubs is in Germany, and I'm really quite new to the board until I get my Model X, I'm not in the know about everything techie. But, what a fun immersion.

Also, I thought I was starting my own thread, but I clearly hijacked someone elses. Sorry 'bout that. I blame the panic attack.

Please clarify.
Car is parked and you ran out to charge. No response from touch screen. As in black, no screen?
Any idea of the firmware version? As in sleep mode.
Did you try sitting in the seat? Press the brake? Dash screen life?
Charge port respond to UMC to open port?
Are you certain you held both scroll wheels consistently for 15+ seconds?

First of all, I've posted elsewhere I do have the knee problem rolling down the window. However I've also had one time a problem where I found the front passenger window down unexpectedly. After some experimentation I found that the window was going down a bit when I opened the door, as it normally does, but then not going back up when door was then closed. So after a few door open and closes, the window was halfway down already. I was worried there was a mechanical problem but activating the window switch brought it up, but the problem persisted if I opened the door. Finally rebooted and the problem disappeared. Software 4.5.

I had doors open by themselves. Noticed when the door handles didn't stay retracted. Replaced the early door handles and haven't had a problem since!

I had my first Gen 2 handle "quirk" this morning: I pulled on the back door handle to drop my briefcase in and the handle did nothing. Like all the new handles, it moved the 1/4 inch or so, but the door didn't unlatch. When I released the handle, it sprung immediately back in. It didn't "glide" in, it fell back into the door very quickly under the influence of what felt like a spring. The other handles remained extended. I did a lock/unlock cycle with the key fob and it worked normally. Weird.