Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S to the Nürburgring Next Week!

Would Elon Announce a Nürburgring Visit Without Already Knowing the S Would Beat the Taycan’s Time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct.
Normal people getting to Nordschleife can only do bridge to gantry, because they are not allowed to race the main straight which is used as slow-down / acceleration lane.
Industry pools can use the main straight and do many laps consecutively without stopping. They are only required to slow down in case the circuit-master gives signal that another car has to get onto the circuit.
This is why, generally speaking, had-clocked laps are full laps.
It would be extremely difficult to hand-clock with starting point some 1.7Km away from end-line.

Very interesting to see the difference between this and a stock Model S. A sub 7:30 time needs more than just power. So would be interesting to see how much chassis change is done to the car and how they would sell it to the public.

I don't see why this cant be about as stock as a Porsche Toycan. The porsche should be available next year and tesla moves about 3x as fast as porsche. Just give an upgraded grill, the tires need to be released by goodyear and that might be a bit of a reach because they have to be certified and distributed, and this new powertrain which is likely related to the roadster anyway.

Reactions: wenkan
That is incorrect. A set number of vins of the 2014 P85D had the same suspension as the P85+ And was evidenced by the part/spec codes of those cars. I’ve driven a few of them back in 2015 and even as recently as last year with a P85D service loaner (built during the vin range) and can verify that the suspension is miles apart from what is experienced in 2015 onwards.

What is incorrect? The original P85D was speculated to have the the same suspension as P85+, that's why there's no "+" option for it, although there were never an official confirmation. The point is still there's never P85D+ or "+' option for P85D as some hsvr claimed.

Two guys on cell phones. Guy at bridge tells guy at gantry when to start his stopwatch. But I don't think a german car magazine would compare that time to Porsche's.
I guess but that doesn't seem likely. More likely that Tesla is going to surpass the Porsche result by a decent amount, though they are doing it with tires that are not for sale yet. Those are some neat looking chunks of rubber.

What is incorrect? The original P85D was speculated to have the the same suspension as P85+, that's why there's no "+" option for it, although there were never an official confirmation. The point is still there's never P85D+ or "+' option for P85D as some hsvr claimed.

Might want to look at the "Performance PLUS Suspension P85D

2014 Model S | Tesla

Plus.JPG

There was an article that said the manufactures' pool track time is basically an open track for an hour/half an hour each day, so it'd be the whole track, no stops. They only do the stops for the open track times (ie public). Also, when someone says "hand timing", it's generally accepted that that means you stand at any part of the track and click the "lap" function on your timer as they go past the same point lap after lap. I firmly believe that the 7:23 was a real, full lap time. It's crazy how much time is being spent to come up with crazy, multi people/multi timing point efforts to say otherwise (not trying to be snarky, btw).

according to R/T, it's a heavily modified car

"According to local Nurburgring experts, the two Model S prototypes lapping the Nurburgring are nothing like the EVs you can buy from Tesla today. Our inside source describes the cars as being "stripped to the gunwales," the interiors fully gutted of anything apart from the necessary seats, harnesses, and driver controls—hence the dark-tinted windows, it seems. And we're nearly certain these prototypes are sporting a brand-new, three-motor ultra-high-performance drivetrain—one motor for each rear wheel, and one powering the front axle. Tesla fans have taken to calling this drivetrain "Plaid," a Spaceballs reference along the same vein as Tesla's previous "Ludicrous Mode."

The cars are also running on huge, wide aftermarket wheels wearing unusual tires—Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport RS, a brand-new track-oriented (but still street legal) tire just introduced this year. Currently, those tires are not available on any Tesla model, and the Nurburgring prototypes wear add-on fender flares to cover the extra-wide wheel-and-tire setup. Our eyewitness also noted that the Teslas have huge carbon-ceramic brakes, possibly Brembo SGLs, the type used on top-spec performance cars from Lamborghini, Mercedes and more. And as we mentioned previously, the Teslas seen at the 'Ring also feature aggressive aerodynamic mods including a substantial rear Gurney flap."

There was an article that said the manufactures' pool track time is basically an open track for an hour/half an hour each day, so it'd be the whole track, no stops. They only do the stops for the open track times (ie public). Also, when someone says "hand timing", it's generally accepted that that means you stand at any part of the track and click the "lap" function on your timer as they go past the same point lap after lap. I firmly believe that the 7:23 was a real, full lap time. It's crazy how much time is being spent to come up with crazy, multi people/multi timing point efforts to say otherwise (not trying to be snarky, btw).

This is a quote from Road and Track:

Nurburgring organizers forbid automakers from timing their own laps during Industry Pool sessions, and drivers are required to enter and exit the track from the pit area at Turn 13, making a complete flying lap impossible. So, given the traffic and the restrictions of Industry Pool testing, we feel certain that the highly-modified Tesla could be capable of an even faster lap time on an empty track during an official timed session.

This is a quote from Road and Track:

Nurburgring organizers forbid automakers from timing their own laps during Industry Pool sessions, and drivers are required to enter and exit the track from the pit area at Turn 13, making a complete flying lap impossible. So, given the traffic and the restrictions of Industry Pool testing, we feel certain that the highly-modified Tesla could be capable of an even faster lap time on an empty track during an official timed session.

I'm not sure how accurate R&T are though. I mean, they also said the track was booked solid and Tesla couldn't even do a timed run this year. Of course, they have a dedicated session tomorrow and Saturday or Sunday, so who knows. I mean, it WAS a German website that reported the time, so I'd think they'd make sure to include an important detail like the times weren't comparable since it makes the Taycan look bad...

I'm not sure how accurate R&T are though. I mean, they also said the track was booked solid and Tesla couldn't even do a timed run this year. Of course, they have a dedicated session tomorrow and Saturday or Sunday, so who knows. I mean, it WAS a German website that reported the time, so I'd think they'd make sure to include an important detail like the times weren't comparable since it makes the Taycan look bad...

Those slots didn't open up until after R&T's article. It's funny how things always seem to work out for billionaires. But I think R&T and I agree with you. The time was for a complete lap.