Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S to the Nürburgring Next Week!

Would Elon Announce a Nürburgring Visit Without Already Knowing the S Would Beat the Taycan’s Time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who is "we" and why do "they" think that the current driver's are the limiting factor?

This guy is some sort of car industry tear down expert who has an interest in EVs, and seems to perhaps do some work for Daimler.

As say seems because you can never know in cyberspace,,,,, but look at his twitter feed, you will notice he seems knowledgeable.

I guess he is saying the car at those speeds on this track is tricky for even really good drivers....

Even if he is knowledgeable, his assumptions are being made with limited information, and might be wrong, what is interesting is there is some chance they are right...hard to assign a number to that chance, but as a guess 30%

• Informative
Reactions: nativewolf
This guy is some sort of car industry tear down expert who has an interest in EVs, and seems to perhaps do some work for Daimler.

OK, so it is some sort of mystery. Glad I wasn't going crazy.

Supposedly, he has hundreds of people working for him and their goal is to figure out where Tesla is on technology, etc., so he can advise investors.

As say seems because you can never know in cyberspace,,,,, but look at his twitter feed, you will notice he seems knowledgeable.

He certainly seems... confident in his proclamations.

I guess he is saying the car at those speeds on this track is tricky for even really good drivers....

No way is someone else 20s faster than the guys they have driving the cars, now, though. Maybe with other changes and a small driver improvement, but the guys they have now are pretty darn good per their resumes.

He certainly is interesting to read tweets from, though.

If they were induction, you could certainly sleep them. But they would also have the same rotor heating problem all of Tesla's other induction motors have.

I'm pretty sure the two rear motors on the Plaid are the same PMSR core we've seen throughout the lineup these days. Two of them gives about the same peak power as the big induction motor the Ludicrous cars had.

I don't know what the front motor is. For maximum sustained track performance it'd be a third PMSR, a standard Raven front package maybe. But then you couldn't sleep any of the motors during freeway cruise. Tesla might make it the older induction package instead and accept the rotor heating to be able to put it to sleep.

They could disconnect the motors from the wheels (neutral) like the Taycan does. Early leaks indicated the three-motor version of the S would have at least a 400 mile range. No mention of battery size, though. The roadster will have a 620 mile range from a 200 kwh pack.

• Informative
Reactions: nativewolf
OK, so it is some sort of mystery. Glad I wasn't going crazy.

Supposedly, he has hundreds of people working for him and their goal is to figure out where Tesla is on technology, etc., so he can advise investors.

He certainly seems... confident in his proclamations.

No way is someone else 20s faster than the guys they have driving the cars, now, though. Maybe with other changes and a small driver improvement, but the guys they have now are pretty darn good per their resumes.

He certainly is interesting to read tweets from, though.

The other option is that Porsche sandbagged so as not to up end their ICE cars. It was just a coincidence that it was a second or two slower than the Panamera...

The other option is that Porsche sandbagged so as not to up end their ICE cars. It was just a coincidence that it was a second or two slower than the Panamera...

Which leaves Porsche a hard choice now, if you're right - go back and show that their ICE cars are obsolete, or allow Tesla to keep their ring crown that Porsche has always been so proud of.

Which leaves Porsche a hard choice now, if you're right - go back and show that their ICE cars are obsolete, or allow Tesla to keep their ring crown that Porsche has always been so proud of.

They have no choice now. Tesla has shown that their ice cars are obsolete. If there is any more performance in the Taycon, they have to at least match tesla's time. If they don't, well, they lose.

Been monitoring YouTube and the car channels that I watch haven't covered this saga yet. Except for Superspeedrob which I caught last night. It confirms my theory that the entire car industry doesn't know what to do with this now.

A young american car company that is constantly the subject of bad press is all of sudden giving a smackdown on ICE cars. Oh the horror! :eek::D:p

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
Guess the point is that if you want a fast, and track capable EV, there will be offerings from Porsche, Tesla and perhaps other manufacturers in the future to choose from.

Track times will fall as EV's chip ANOTHER claim of fame from legacy Ice producers. Saw the same thing when EVs began to set track records at Pikes peak.

Interesting side note is that Mercedes has just announced that they are cancelling any further development of new ICE motors. Will switch R&D funds over to developing new, all electric, drivelines. Will only continue some work improving existing lines of motors, but essentially the inventor (Mercedes) of ICE vehicles is throwing in in the petrol towel.

They could disconnect the motors from the wheels (neutral) like the Taycan does. Early leaks indicated the three-motor version of the S would have at least a 400 mile range. No mention of battery size, though. The roadster will have a 620 mile range from a 200 kwh pack.
And everyone knows that the 255 mile toycan range is greater than a 400 mile range....

Taycan had to add clutches as part of the two speed gearbox.

There's no way the freeway efficiency gain will justify the weight, cost, and complexity of adding clutches, unless Tesla is going to multiple gear ratios as well, which I don't expect.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Taycan had to add clutches as part of the two speed gearbox.

There's no way the freeway efficiency gain will justify the weight, cost, and complexity of adding clutches, unless Tesla is going to multiple gear ratios as well, which I don't expect.

I think a simple dog clutch would work. They have wheel speed sensors and the motors are synchronous, so they could electronically synchronize the motor while engaging the clutch.