Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S to the Nürburgring Next Week!

Would Elon Announce a Nürburgring Visit Without Already Knowing the S Would Beat the Taycan’s Time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The yapping little dog in the electric space is Porsche, overpriced, poorer specs, and no history in this space. The TayCan$ is definitely not in the same league as Tesla. I'm glad they are making an electric, but it won't be in my driveway, no charging network, poorer specs, and a history of lying to the public on specs. Dieselgate is still too fresh for me to ever consider a German car. Someone needs to drug test the author, he is delusional
Nah, he's just in first stage of grief over Porche's upcoming death.

Exactly, they can see where this race is headed though and they don't like it because...they are employment agencies that make cars.

Frankly China is the place to watch now, I think the new factory there was a mistake and the tesla network effect will be quickly duplicated or surpassed as well as the technology lifted. We'll see. China has the money to pour innovation into EV and just continue to throw money until they have a working solution. Employment is not the goal in China,

If tesla can't do more than say 20% of the global car supply even at max growth how is it a mistake for Tesla to let China copy them and take say 50% (leaving US/EU carmakers 30%)?

China copying Tesla hurts everyone but Tesla. Tesla can stay in the game or leave the game as they like as they'll have solar and battery power revenues plus whatever car percentage they keep.

China would never eliminate Tesla, they'll just be the android equivalent in cars to Teslas Apple equivalent. Both will survive.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I guess this is the Chinese copy of the Model S? The company is called Xpeng Motors. Tesla is also suing them for stealing the Autopilot source code.

(More details at the story below.)

https://electrek.co/2019/04/16/tesla-clone-xpeng-electric-sedan/

Xpeng_P7_1-1-e1555438816933.jpg

MS.jpg

Well Robb Holland is taking on the chin and "eating a little bit of humble pie". And like we all knew it wouldn't happen ;)

And can that P100DL+ get any closer to the ground?

https://jalopnik.com/heres-what-happened-with-teslas-ambitious-first-attempt-1838221405

"Now remember the spec that we believe these Model S have been running in would not be eligible for any official production records, as they are fully stripped out prototypes. Adding several hundred pounds of interior and other production bits would definitely slow them up a bit."

What a bunch of BS, the doors were pictured open and one can clearly see that car had panels and also a passenger seat, so removing the back seat is fully stripped?? :rolleyes:

"Now remember the spec that we believe these Model S have been running in would not be eligible for any official production records, as they are fully stripped out prototypes. Adding several hundred pounds of interior and other production bits would definitely slow them up a bit."

What a bunch of BS, the doors were pictured open and one can clearly see that car had panels and also a passenger seat, so removing the back seat is fully stripped?? :rolleyes:
They're also allowed to remove weight to compensate for the added weight of the roll cage.

They're also allowed to remove weight to compensate for the added weight of the roll cage.

I am curious about how hard that would have been, adding a roll cage to a Tesla. As we know it is not a normal car where you can just drill the floor, or start welding it to the frame. Needless to say a little gutting is necessary just to be able to do this.

I am curious about how hard that would have been, adding a roll cage to a Tesla. As we know it is not a normal car where you can just drill the floor, or start welding it to the frame. Needless to say a little gutting is necessary just to be able to do this.

Have to go see just what the rules are for the roll cage. Remember, Tesla has some seriously stiff structure in the basic design - enough to break the NHTSA crush testing machine, as I recall...

Reactions: SmartElectric
Have to go see just what the rules are for the roll cage. Remember, Tesla has some seriously stiff structure in the basic design - enough to break the NHTSA crush testing machine, as I recall...

Regardless of specific roll cage rules on the Ring (which I don't think there is one), the risk is rolling and hitting wall or tree at 100mph+ with roof first, which can happen to anyone/anycar on the Ring when trying to go fast. As strong as Model S roof is, I don't know if it's designed to survive hitting the armco at speed needed to go fast at the Ring. There is a reason why top tier racing leagues don't run at Ring anymore.

The yapping little dog in the electric space is Porsche, overpriced, poorer specs, and no history in this space. The TayCan$ is definitely not in the same league as Tesla. I'm glad they are making an electric, but it won't be in my driveway, no charging network, poorer specs, and a history of lying to the public on specs. Dieselgate is still too fresh for me to ever consider a German car. Someone needs to drug test the author, he is delusional
And Toycon range is much smaller, unless using alternative facts where 255 is greater than 345 range... Shhh, but i'm going to guess that the next model s Plaid range will be even higher...

I am curious though, would that because of better efficiency or bigger battery? I got to think the setup used to get 7:20 won't be very efficient.
Of course not. But the motors, battery discharge rate can be optimized for longer range or optimized for tracking. Remember the roadster is apparently going to get a range of 620 miles, and 500 miles plus range for the semi. Not an expert here, but learning about lipo batteries for racing RC cars...

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
And Toycon range is much smaller, unless using alternative facts where 255 is greater than 345 range... Shhh, but i'm going to guess that the next model s Plaid range will be even higher...

That advertising must be coming from the MSM, alternative facts are what marketing departments depend on to sell their stuff.

Porsche is going to need to crank up the sentimental deeper bond with their old nostalgic Porsche brand going back to the early days and that will appeal to the over 60 crowd (who are dying off), but not to the generation that turns and points at the new future - Tesla - every kid on my block wants one and everyone of them has seen the Roadster launched to Mars... Porsche has never done that and that is the challenge they will never overcome.
Tesla is perceived as a space ship, however it sells the new nostalgia, the time machine to the future, a place that a future generation of buyers ache to go, no one looks back anymore, what you did yesterday means nothing, its what you do tomorrow or promise to do for tomorrow that drives the emotion for Tesla. When you travel in a Tesla, you feel like a child again, young, free, with the ability to go anywhere, without damaging the future.. that will be next to impossible to beat. Even if Porsche wins at Nurburgring its going to be tough to sell that to the next generation of buyers.

Last edited: