Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S top to tail trip of New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are some highlights from the recent road trip completed by Steve West and Carl Barlev. Their journey took them from Auckland to Cape Reinga to Bluff and back to Auckland.

- - - Updated - - -

Steve's P85+ at Cape Reinga
cape.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Grabbing some go juice in Whangarei

whangarei.jpg

...along with friends.

2a_whangarei.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

New Zealand actor Chris Curtis apparently likes EVs.

chris curtis.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

At Lake Rotorua

4_rotorua.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Slumming it in Hamilton.

5_hamilton.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Shopping for spares. :wink:

6_Hamilton.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Halfway down the North Island, Lake Taupo, only a few more thousand kilometres to go.

7_taupo.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Charging in Wellington. What infrastructure?

8_wellington.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Getting the grand tour of a very big series hybrid with electric final drive. Carl even got a bit of a top up of the Tesla during the ferry crossing.

9_ferry.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Those folks are the true pioneers. My hat’s off to them.
I’m going through the New Zealand specific threads and moving them to the New Zealand Forum.
Came across this thread from 2015.
For all those new owners nervous about EV charging infrastructure in NZ see what it was like 4 years ago.
Here’s hoping that soon there will be Superchargers all the way from Whangarei to Queenstown (though locations in Invercargill, Gisborne, Dunedin, Greymouth and Blenheim would certainly be helpful; maybe by 2021?).

A5402D25-E7FD-46A0-BCEF-31472A9876AF.jpeg

Theres many 350kw chargers in Europe already, fastest way to charge a model 3, still only a handful of v3 in USA and none in Europe.

We barely have superchargers let alone v3.
Have they installed new V2 Supercharges in Europe since V3 became a thing?

Since the locations I mentioned haven't been installed yet, it doesn't make a lot of sense to install V2 Superchargers and then have to upgrade them to V3 later on.