Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S trade in vs sale for model 3, My experience this week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my model 3. At $51k it is a good car. With the tax credit and final price around $43 it is phenomenal! I sold my model S. Tesla offered me $55k for my trade in. I sold it to an online company, Vroom.com for $69k. You are reading that right. Not only was it much more money it was incredibly easy. I did everything online. I did not even have to go to dealer. They came to the house to pick it up last night.

As I understand it, a $7500 tax credit does not mean you are getting an extra $7500 back in your refund. It just reduces your taxable income by $7500, so however much of a difference in your refund that is.

EDIT - I looked up the IRS tax tables for married filing jointly. With the $7500 tax credit dropping taxable income from $62,500 to $55,000, that means an extra $1125 back in your refund.

So the $7500 tax credit is nowhere near as good as it sounds.

As I understand it, a $7500 tax credit does not mean you are getting an extra $7500 back in your refund. It just reduces your taxable income by $7500, so however much of a difference in your refund that is.

EDIT - I looked up the IRS tax tables for married filing jointly. With the $7500 tax credit dropping taxable income from $62,500 to $55,000, that means an extra $1125 back in your refund.

It is a credit meaning its a dollar for dollar reduction it is NOT a deduction (a percentage). The only way you wouldn't get the full credit is if you owed less that $7,500 in federal taxes.

credit means a credit against what you owe in federal taxes ... what you describe above is a deduction

That's not right. It's a direct credit. That's why there's always the discussion that you need to have a tax liability of $7500 in order to get the full advantage. IF for example your Federal Tax liability is only $5,000 you will only get $5000 worth of the credit and you lose the other $2500. It doesn't carry forward nor do you get a check .

Reactions: N8Howell33

Not correct. I've taken this twice before. It reduced my taxes due, not just my taxable income, by $7500 each time.