Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Update, why not including a digital rear mirror like the CT6 or the Bolt?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NeverFollow

Aug 9, 2010
The Cadillac CT6, and the Bolt, got a digital rear mirror, why not the new Model S?
2017 Chevrolet Bolt Review – First Drive

A digital mirror using an external camera is so helpful when you back up or even to keep it
live when driving as the vision field wise increase a lot.

2017-Chevrolet-Bolt-CES-FIRST-DRIVE-20-679x453.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: T3SLA_LIFE
Yeah and with the S you can view the rear view camera on the screen already

- I'd like to have a live view all the time, not just when doing backup.

- Also the mirror is more in the line of sight than the central display.

- Using a rear view camera "has huge safety benefits, as it features an 80-degree range of vision,
instead of the 22 degrees that a typical rear-view mirror provides".

- With a touch of a button, you should be able to switch to your conventional mirror.

The Cadillac CT6, and the Bolt, got a digital rear mirror, why not the new Model S?

A digital mirror using an external camera is so helpful when you back up or even to keep it

It would be nice, no seat backs or heads in the view.

But everything costs money. Those aren't cheap and would likely require a second camera to be mounted as well.

Trade-offs.

Someday.

It would be nice to have a review unobstructed by the rear headrest and pillars...more importantly, I'd love to have a screen built into the A pillars for 'pass-thru' visibility like Jaguar had on show car lately. Those big pillars are really good at hiding cross traffic.

The short answer is GM licenses this from Gentex. So Tesla would have to work out some kind of deal with them.
NHTSA approves hybrid rearview mirror display in Cadillac CT6, Bolt EV

I remember GM was way out ahead on magnetic ride control shocks as well but eventually Ferrari and others got on board.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagneRide

Hopefully some day Tesla opens up an API so you're able to add cameras and screens as you'd like. Someone will probably jailbreak the software soon enough but that comes with some security risks that I can live with in a smartphone but not in a car that's connected to the internet.

I agree when doing back up,but when driving it's very nice to have a mirror directly in your line of sight providing a very large rear view.
Meh, I wouldn't call that your line of sight. You have to look over to the center of the car and change your eye's focal distance to the plane of that display. Have you driven the Model S with the camera on the touchscreen? As far as maintaining your view of the road, there's very little difference between that and looking at an image on a rear view mirror, in my opinion. Since you're focused up close, you're not going to clearly see what's happening on the road in front of you anyway.

Some (I should say MANY) people seem to think that the Tesla should have every possible option from every car ever made. :confused:

Yeah, I want Tesla to add crazy exotic things like coat hooks, grab handles (girlfriend's mother is 88), a decent voice driven system that parses audio rather than depending on the driver, the ability to say "Call John Doe on mobile" so you don't have to read a screen and touch an entry to dial when in heavy traffic,... You nailed me. I'm looking for all of the exotic features. Oh, a friend wants decent iPod playback functionality on his. :)

Reactions: Camera-Cruiser
Would be possible that the MX all ready has it, and is waiting for regulatory approval? They did mention they put more technology into the car than they should have, which would be the FWD and ...