TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S Update, why not including a digital rear mirror like the CT6 or the Bolt?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by NeverFollow, Apr 12, 2016.

1. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Member

The Cadillac CT6, and the Bolt, got a digital rear mirror, why not the new Model S?
    2017 Chevrolet Bolt Review – First Drive

A digital mirror using an external camera is so helpful when you back up or even to keep it
    live when driving as the vision field wise increase a lot.

[​IMG]

• Dislike x 1
  2. tanner

tanner Active Member

How would thus be more beneficial than a real/traditional mirror?

• Like x 1
  3. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

Yeah and with the S you can view the rear view camera on the screen already

• Like x 1
  4. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Member

- I'd like to have a live view all the time, not just when doing backup.

- Also the mirror is more in the line of sight than the central display.

- Using a rear view camera "has huge safety benefits, as it features an 80-degree range of vision,
    instead of the 22 degrees that a typical rear-view mirror provides".

- With a touch of a button, you should be able to switch to your conventional mirror.

5. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

You can have the live view on screen whenever you want, just press the camera icon at the top. It's not restricted to only appearing when in reverse.

I do agree that having it more in the line of sight would be good.

• Like x 2
  6. brkaus

brkaus Member

It would be nice, no seat backs or heads in the view.

But everything costs money. Those aren't cheap and would likely require a second camera to be mounted as well.

Trade-offs.

Someday.

7. kmtl

kmtl Member

It would be nice to have a review unobstructed by the rear headrest and pillars...more importantly, I'd love to have a screen built into the A pillars for 'pass-thru' visibility like Jaguar had on show car lately. Those big pillars are really good at hiding cross traffic.

8. twonius

twonius Member

The short answer is GM licenses this from Gentex. So Tesla would have to work out some kind of deal with them.
    NHTSA approves hybrid rearview mirror display in Cadillac CT6, Bolt EV

I remember GM was way out ahead on magnetic ride control shocks as well but eventually Ferrari and others got on board.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagneRide

Hopefully some day Tesla opens up an API so you're able to add cameras and screens as you'd like. Someone will probably jailbreak the software soon enough but that comes with some security risks that I can live with in a smartphone but not in a car that's connected to the internet.

9. tezzla

tezzla Member

Some (I should say MANY) people seem to think that the Tesla should have every possible option from every car ever made. :confused:

• Like x 3
  10. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I greatly prefer having half of the gigantic touchscreen showing the rear view when I want it up. It's significantly larger than that tiny mirror, so I see much more of the rear image.

Couldn't the question also be: Why don't the CT6 and Bolt have a 17" touchscreen of which half can display an HD fisheye view out the back of the car?

• Like x 3
  11. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Member

I agree when doing back up,but when driving it's very nice to have a mirror directly in your line of sight providing a very large rear view.

12. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I would love it. Much better visibility without those headrests hogging the view. I wish I could feed my rear Blackvue into it.

13. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Meh, I wouldn't call that your line of sight. You have to look over to the center of the car and change your eye's focal distance to the plane of that display. Have you driven the Model S with the camera on the touchscreen? As far as maintaining your view of the road, there's very little difference between that and looking at an image on a rear view mirror, in my opinion. Since you're focused up close, you're not going to clearly see what's happening on the road in front of you anyway.

14. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I think side mirrors should be the first to go!

15. SR22pilot

SR22pilot Member

Yeah, I want Tesla to add crazy exotic things like coat hooks, grab handles (girlfriend's mother is 88), a decent voice driven system that parses audio rather than depending on the driver, the ability to say "Call John Doe on mobile" so you don't have to read a screen and touch an entry to dial when in heavy traffic,... You nailed me. I'm looking for all of the exotic features. Oh, a friend wants decent iPod playback functionality on his. :)

• Like x 1
  16. Tanquen

Tanquen Member

I'd have been happy with the seats and door pockets from the MX. What the heck!

17. CuriousG

CuriousG Member

Seems to be the new Model 3 reservation people. Time for some reality check. With the new HVAC system, I'd like the Model 3 to make soft serve yogurt.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  18. larmor

larmor Member

Would be possible that the MX all ready has it, and is waiting for regulatory approval? They did mention they put more technology into the car than they should have, which would be the FWD and ...

19. Caligula

Caligula Member

This would add cost and complexity with 0 benefit over the center display rear view.