Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S upgrade to Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently own a 2015 P90DL Model S. I bought it CPO about 18 months ago and love it (which I knew I would because I've been a Tesla fan since 2013). However, as my family is growing I know that I'll need room for two car seats in the back which won't work in an MS because I won't have the legroom to drive. I went to the Tesla store today and test drove the 2020 Model X LR+ with 22" rims. I was really surprised by how snappy it felt since it wasn't the performance version and therefore doesn't have Ludicrous mode. After the test drive I got back in my MS (I normally drive in Ludicrous mode because I have access to free electricity so why not, right?) and felt that it was perhaps a little sluggish compared to the MX.

My question, do you think the batteries on my 2015 MS have degraded over time and that an MS P90DL would actually be a little slower off the line than an MX LR+? Or are my senses off and it just felt slower but in reality, my MS is still faster? Any newish MX LR+ people in the Washington DC area, let me know if you are willing to do a head to head to test my question.

Thanks!

You probably had more of a euphoric experience driving the newer vehicle, let alone an X. The Raven suspension does stand out quite a bit as well. Keep in mind there's only like a 1.4 sec difference in 0-60 times between the two, but your current vehicle is definitely faster off the line.

I have driven a MXP90DL loaner and it was not as quick/responsive as my P100DL. To quantify this, put your car in Ludicrous++ and let it heat up fully. Charge to 100%. Do a few acceleration runs and check your max kw on the display. Compare to other P90DLs.

Also, regarding child seats - you may want to actually put in the car seats in the MX first to check if it gives you enough room. I found that there is not a significant advantage (front to back) between the MS and MX. But my MX is older and does not have the newer thinner seats.

I have driven a MXP90DL loaner and it was not as quick/responsive as my P100DL. To quantify this, put your car in Ludicrous++ and let it heat up fully. Charge to 100%. Do a few acceleration runs and check your max kw on the display. Compare to other P90DLs.

Also, regarding child seats - you may want to actually put in the car seats in the MX first to check if it gives you enough room. I found that there is not a significant advantage (front to back) between the MS and MX. But my MX is older and does not have the newer thinner seats.
Totally agree on the child seats.

Reactions: VikH