Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well that's certainly exciting. Do your sources say anything about whether or not they're backwards compatible with the AP2.5 MCUs?

Now you know the phrase "backwards compatible" is not in Teslas vocabulary when not being backwards compatible means selling a new car ;). Seriously, I could not get confirmation that it was or wasnt but will see once the rollout increases.

• Funny
Reactions: Ketchups
Also, hardware changes with Tesla are usually signified by VIN range not by software version or hash.
I am sorry but I don't buy this.
In Teslas VIN does not mean all that much, because you can get your vin today and postpone it for half a year or whatever. There aer AP2 founder VINs for example...

Software version in itself does not mean much of course, but it contains the githash of the tip of the tree it was built from - and that does mean something.

Yes, I noticed those first thing when I picked it up a couple days ago. The covers are like little iPad smart covers, they fold in the middle and are pretty interesting.
Well the vanity lights were introduced in the new wiring diagram this month, so that's why I asked :)

(The vanity lights were in fact part of the wiring diagrams long ago too, but they disappeared and then showed up now.)

I can confirm through sources who shall not be named or roles identified, that there are new cars being delivered as of this month with the new faster MCU, with notable speed increase to the maps with pinch and zoom comparable to the model 3. However, the maps are still the old maps not the vector maps of the model 3 so the difference isn't as drastic for now but definitely noticeable over the old.

Also, hardware changes with Tesla are usually signified by VIN range not by software version or hash.

Ordered my MS 100D/PUP/EAP on 2/18
Order Confirmed / VIN Assigned 2/22
Went into production 3/9
VIN 249xxx
Based on what your indicating here, seems my chances of getting upgraded MCU are pretty good?
I have my fingers crossed.

In Teslas VIN does not mean all that much, because you can get your vin today and postpone it for half a year or whatever. There aer AP2 founder VINs for example...

Software version in itself does not mean much of course, but it contains the githash of the tip of the tree it was built from - and that does mean something.

Hey I didn't say it makes sense, I just said that's the system that Tesla uses. They are trying to move to a unified codebase so that S/X all have the same builds making it easier to rollout fleet wide and M3 having it's own as they ramp it up. As of today the hash is an indication of the branch the build came from but they changed the version numbers to be YYYY.W.CODE.hash with the hash being a clue only to developers and no indication of car or hardware...with an even vs odd indication for public release versus beta release e.g 2018.4 is public but 2018.5 is beta and again no indication of hardware or car.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde

But those are perhaps only exceptions. correct me when I'm wrong, but the VIN is incremental. So 000001 somewhere in 2012 to 249xxx today. So it is only normal to expect that new hardware is delivered from a certain VIN number and up, with your example (postponed deliveries) beeing the exception where a VIN was assigned, but the production for that specific car was delayed per customer request.

Hey I didn't say it makes sense, I just said that's the system that Tesla uses. They are trying to move to a unified codebase so that S/X all have the same builds making it easier to rollout fleet wide and M3 having it's own as they ramp it up. As of today the hash is an indication of the branch the build came from but they changed the version numbers to be YYYY.W.CODE.hash with the hash being a clue only to developers and no indication of car or hardware...with an even vs odd indication for public release versus beta release e.g 2018.4 is public but 2018.5 is beta and again no indication of hardware or car.
I know they are trying to unify the codebase, this is very visible. But as of at least 18.6 they still have separate branches for at least 3 and S/X (with whatever minimal differences). So with this in mind I don't see why they'd suddenly have the same branch working for old and new style MCU.

Now could it change in the future? Sure!

But those are perhaps only exceptions. correct me when I'm wrong, but the VIN is incremental. So 000001 somewhere in 2012 to 249xxx today. So it is only normal to expect that new hardware is delivered from a certain VIN number and up, with your example (postponed deliveries) beeing the exception where a VIN was assigned, but the production for that specific car was delayed per customer request.
Yes, this is correct. But it makes the whole "vin ranges" thing very imprecise due to those exceptions even if there are not too many of them. Manufacture date is a lot better indicator.

I know they are trying to unify the codebase, this is very visible. But as of at least 18.6 they still have separate branches for at least 3 and S/X (with whatever minimal differences). So with this in mind I don't see why they'd suddenly have the same branch working for old and new style MCU.

Now could it change in the future? Sure!

But they still have the same version for X/S independent of AP1, AP2.0 or AP2.5 which for sure is different hardware?

Makes more sense to separate out Model 3. It was mentioned earlier in this thread also that the Mode 3 already got the Vector based map UI, but the Model X/S clearly doesn't as of yet. This must for sure give the Model X/S a slower and less responsive map due to software even if it of course never will be as snappy as the Intel chip in the Model 3. Now it seems that X/S has double disadvantage - Both old software and old hardware.

Yes, this is correct. But it makes the whole "vin ranges" thing very imprecise due to those exceptions even if there are not too many of them. Manufacture date is a lot better indicator.
I ordered my car on the last day to get March delivery which was 2/18. On the 19th the website showed june delivery and my vin was assigned on 2/22 no postponements/delays
2494xx if that helps.

Exactly. I probably have one of the lowest AP2 VINs because I ordered in 4/16 and delayed delivery until I saw AP2 in 10/16. I received my VIN in 8/16. Most other cars delivered around the same time as mine in 12/16 have much higher VINs.

First-time post here!

Ordered a Model S on 1/27, confirmed 3 days later. My Model S 75D still says "Your Tesla order has been confirmed and scheduled for production in our factory." My VIN is 2468XX.

If talks of this new Intel MCU are true for the Model S, I really hope that mine has it. Maybe I'll email my Owner Advisor and ask him if I'll get it.

But they still have the same version for X/S independent of AP1, AP2.0 or AP2.5 which for sure is different hardware?

Makes more sense to separate out Model 3. It was mentioned earlier in this thread also that the Mode 3 already got the Vector based map UI, but the Model X/S clearly doesn't as of yet. This must for sure give the Model X/S a slower and less responsive map due to software even if it of course never will be as snappy as the Intel chip in the Model 3. Now it seems that X/S has double disadvantage - Both old software and old hardware.

I'm late to the party but, the Model 3 was born with the new maps, they released it with new maps and an incomplete UI that they are now trying to complete. That said, based on the blogs, the new maps are basically being retrofitted into the S/X since it needs to accomodate 2 screens instead of 1. That is one of the reasons I think the new hardware is being added in anticipation of the new maps to make the experience more comparable to the Model 3's screens.

• Informative
Reactions: evster and Brettski
I can confirm through sources who shall not be named or roles identified, that there are new cars being delivered as of this month with the new faster MCU, with notable speed increase to the maps with pinch and zoom comparable to the model 3. However, the maps are still the old maps not the vector maps of the model 3 so the difference isn't as drastic for now but definitely noticeable over the old.

I'm supposed to take delivery this week and now wondering if i'll get new or old. grrrr. Are you able to get a vin> number from your unnamed source? our lil secret.

First-time post here!

Ordered a Model S on 1/27, confirmed 3 days later. My Model S 75D still says "Your Tesla order has been confirmed and scheduled for production in our factory." My VIN is 2468XX.

If talks of this new Intel MCU are true for the Model S, I really hope that mine has it. Maybe I'll email my Owner Advisor and ask him if I'll get it.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase. I am also a 2468XX new buyer and my car completed production today! I am also very much hoping this news is true and we’ll likely be in the same boat. My delivery is to be Monday or Tuesday of next week, I will absolutely post my findings.

Reactions: zmarty and Brettski