Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also have a loaner at the moment that was brand new with 12 miles on it. It has the lighted vanity mirrors. The screen didn't really feel much different than my car, but maybe it's a little faster. If there's something I can do to find out what's in it I'm more than happy to, it's not my car so I'll pull apart whatever. :D

Hate to break it to you, but if you have to say "maybe it's a little faster", then it's not the Model 3 MCU. That thing, 3 seconds playing with the map view will blow away your mind as a S/X owner.

I also have a loaner at the moment that was brand new with 12 miles on it. It has the lighted vanity mirrors. The screen didn't really feel much different than my car, but maybe it's a little faster. If there's something I can do to find out what's in it I'm more than happy to, it's not my car so I'll pull apart whatever. :D
A gentle pull on the cubby under the screen? (Two clips in front, takes a little effort to pull but don't worry.) Are there still only two loose cables under there - one thick and one thin? Take a few pics and post here :) (They're probably not changed but it's worth a try maybe)

Hate to break it to you, but if you have to say "maybe it's a little faster", then it's not the Model 3 MCU. That thing, 3 seconds playing with the map view will blow away your mind as a S/X owner.

I would have to agree but the earlier post below seems to be much more convincing!
I had a brand new loaner Model S 100D yesterday, and I immediately noticed the MCU was quicker than in my Model X built in November 2017. I noticed the difference so much, I thought of making a post here yesterday.

This was my first time in a Model S, so I don't know if this is a normal difference between the S and X, but there was no screen lag at all on the new S.

The coming "light years ahead" update of the navigation will probably improve the Map speed a lot. Mainly because it is vector based instead of bitmap.

Maybe a stupid question, but the code itself (new kernel etc) could massively improve the speed. Do we know if the code on the Model 3 is the newer version already vs. the one in the existing Model S/X? Not saying that the new Intel CPU doesn't make a big difference (which it for sure will), but maybe a bit of better code for the X/S interface would make it at least less sluggish?

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
The coming "light years ahead" update of the navigation will probably improve the Map speed a lot. Mainly because it is vector based instead of bitmap.

Maybe a stupid question, but the code itself (new kernel etc) could massively improve the speed. Do we know if the code on the Model 3 is the newer version already vs. the one in the existing Model S/X? Not saying that the new Intel CPU doesn't make a big difference (which it for sure will), but maybe a bit of better code for the X/S interface would make it at least less sluggish?

Of course software optimization / rewriting could massively improve performance, but that tends to also just be a hand-wavy thing that's said a bunch but never actually pans out. I've worked on several such initiatives before and it generally takes a monumental amount of software engineering effort to amass modest speedups, and unless Tesla were doing something horribly wrong in the first place, it's unlikely that the 3 is faster for any other reason other than the fact that it's a 5 year newer SoC design and the amount that silicon has improved since then. Smartphones these days have chips that are faster than laptops of 5 years ago. That's nearly unthinkable progress.

Reactions: evster
IMG_0323.jpg IMG_0324.jpg IMG_0325.jpg IMG_0326.jpg

I can confirm through sources who shall not be named or roles identified, that there are new cars being delivered as of this month with the new faster MCU, with notable speed increase to the maps with pinch and zoom comparable to the model 3. However, the maps are still the old maps not the vector maps of the model 3 so the difference isn't as drastic for now but definitely noticeable over the old.

Also, hardware changes with Tesla are usually signified by VIN range not by software version or hash.

I can confirm through sources who shall not be named or roles identified, that there are new cars being delivered as of this month with the new faster MCU, with notable speed increase to the maps with pinch and zoom comparable to the model 3. However, the maps are still the old maps not the vector maps of the model 3 so the difference isn't as drastic for now but definitely noticeable over the old.

Also, hardware changes with Tesla are usually signified by VIN range not by software version or hash.

Well that's certainly exciting. Do your sources say anything about whether or not they're backwards compatible with the AP2.5 MCUs?

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I can c
I just took delivery of my 2018 MS 75D which completed production on 2/21/18. I have the new lighted vanity mirrors. I certainly haven't noticed any lag in my 17" screen. If there's a simple way to check the MCU in software settings, I'm happy to investigate. Not sure I'm committed enough to start disassembling trim pieces, though! ;)[/QUOTE
I just took delivery of my 2018 MS 75D which completed production on 2/21/18. I have the new lighted vanity mirrors. I certainly haven't noticed any lag in my 17" screen. If there's a simple way to check the MCU in software settings, I'm happy to investigate. Not sure I'm committed enough to start disassembling trim pieces, though! ;)
I can confirm this is true! At the park Meadows mall in Colorado, they had model s and model x on display that had a faster processor and vanity lights. I didn't notice this till I moved the model x vanity cover. I immediately noticed a light coming from the vanity mirror and decided to check the model s and it's confirmed. They now have vanity lights!

Any hints as to what VINs it started with?