Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase. I am also a 2468XX new buyer and my car completed production today! I am also very much hoping this news is true and we’ll likely be in the same boat. My delivery is to be Monday or Tuesday of next week, I will absolutely post my findings.

Excellent! Considering your VIN is within 99 digits of mine, I'm assuming we would both get the same hardware. Although I see previous posts that it's dependent on manufacture date. My ETA delivery date is March 26th.

Please do post your findings! I'm waiting anxiously :)

I'm late to the party but, the Model 3 was born with the new maps, they released it with new maps and an incomplete UI that they are now trying to complete. That said, based on the blogs, the new maps are basically being retrofitted into the S/X since it needs to accomodate 2 screens instead of 1. That is one of the reasons I think the new hardware is being added in anticipation of the new maps to make the experience more comparable to the Model 3's screens.

Thanks for this input. Question is then what the experience will be like for all of us with the old Model X/S hardware when the new maps are pushed out?

Would be really interesting to get more info about when the cut over to the new MCU2 did take place. There might even still be a chance that it was a while ago? The reason why we haven't seen any improvements as of yet might be because Model X/S still is running on the old software not optimized? The video posted earlier in this thread indicate that it still performs the same even though that car seems to be brand new with the lighted vanity mirrors that was added just recently also? Or this particular new vehicle with a 244XXX-VIN didn't made the cut for Intel MCU2?

Hope we get some more clarification soon. Would be magic if the new MCU2 hardware is there already since the AP2.5 was introduced last year. I know, I know, wishful thinking and all that :)

@viper2ko How much would you pay for it? $6k? $4k? $3k?

I assume it would be a whole new unit, screen, motherboard, gateway, etc.. And if it is liquid cooled and/or combined with the AP2 ECU, like the Model 3, it would get even more complicated/expensive.

I would pay 3k. You would only need a new motherboard and chipset and CPU right? But I was under the impression that the hardware powering the MCU and the AP Hardware is separate. I have a AP 2.5.

I would pay 3k. You would only need a new motherboard and chipset and CPU right? But I was under the impression that the hardware powering the MCU and the AP Hardware is separate. I have a AP 2.5.

Who knows what would be needed. Maybe they put a higher resolution screen in as well?

Yes the MCU and AP ECU are currently separate in the S&X, but that doesn't mean that it will be after the refresh. (They are all together on the Model 3 at least partially to share the liquid cooling.)

Could they make a retro fit motherboard? Yes. But if the refresh was a larger re-design that would require more development time and expense. @lunitiks might be able to give us some clue since he has the wiring diagrams.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
I'm supposed to take delivery this week and now wondering if i'll get new or old. grrrr. Are you able to get a vin> number from your unnamed source? our lil secret.

Sorry not able to get a VIN range, but if you are getting an S you should be able to tell with the inclusion of the lighted vanity mirror as a clue. If you don't have them that doesn't necessarily mean you don't have the new MCU thats just the best indicator for us now.

Thanks for this input. Question is then what the experience will be like for all of us with the old Model X/S hardware when the new maps are pushed out?

Would be really interesting to get more info about when the cut over to the new MCU2 did take place. There might even still be a chance that it was a while ago? The reason why we haven't seen any improvements as of yet might be because Model X/S still is running on the old software not optimized? The video posted earlier in this thread indicate that it still performs the same even though that car seems to be brand new with the lighted vanity mirrors that was added just recently also? Or this particular new vehicle with a 244XXX-VIN didn't made the cut for Intel MCU2?

Hope we get some more clarification soon. Would be magic if the new MCU2 hardware is there already since the AP2.5 was introduced last year. I know, I know, wishful thinking and all that :)

The date of the cut-over isn't all that important if you already have your car and took deliver more than 2 weeks ago. For those of us with the "older" hardware the experience IF they do manage to start retrofitting should see an increase in performance of the touch screen across the board. Tesla makes new hardware changes ALL the time but they are all undocumented as far as the public goes, so they will continue to add new things as they become more efficient or more affordable and not tell anyone about it....just look at the alcantara headliner that was initial Model 3's that they swapped out without a mention.

I hope they offer a paid upgrade option. This would drastically change the experience.

They did this for the 4G LTE Antenna so it should be probable that they will do it for this but fear of clogging up the service centers would be an issue. There was SUPPOSED to be an entire retrofit program that got scrapped due to lack of resources.

@viper2ko How much would you pay for it? $6k? $4k? $3k?

I assume it would be a whole new unit, screen, motherboard, gateway, etc.. And if it is liquid cooled and/or combined with the AP2 ECU, like the Model 3, it would get even more complicated/expensive.

This would most likely just be an upgrade to the MCU itself, they are not going to change the screen in the S/X until they do a complete refresh on both, changing the screen now would create major problems for them. The compatibility of the MCU swap would be dependent on the hardware, wiring, harnesses, etc. of the cars, i.e. AP1 cars would likely not be able to upgrade but AP2.x cars would as they have the wiring needed for the upgrade, just speculation on my end but its based on past hardware upgrades such as AP2 hardware.

• Informative
Reactions: lunitiks