Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like the switch hasn't happened yet (false alarm), the video that was posted was nowhere near as snappy as the 3. But I'm hearing rumors here on TMC and on Reddit that a change is imminent from people who have reliable sources.

I have a 3 and it's a night and day difference. Every time I drive my 3 there are two things I have to get used to when I get back in the S: the speedometer location and the screen responsiveness.

Same here. Going back and forth between the Model S and the Model 3 is embarrassing. Where are you seeing these rumors on TMC and Reddit that a change is imminent?

Same here. Going back and forth between the Model S and the Model 3 is embarrassing. Where are you seeing these rumors on TMC and Reddit that a change is imminent?

I thought I saw something higher up on this thread about MCU2 in the wiring diagram, and on reddit it's on this post.

Well known user u/dirtyfries said:
I've heard the same. I'm convinced it's coming, and very very soon.

And just browsing the sub every day, a lot of people close to folks at Tesla say an MCU swap to Intel chips and a Model S refresh is near. Just a lot of rumblings online.

Reactions: MarkS22
It looks like the switch hasn't happened yet (false alarm), the video that was posted was nowhere near as snappy as the 3. But I'm hearing rumors here on TMC and on Reddit that a change is imminent from people who have reliable sources.

If it hasn't happened yet then I might just cancel my order - if I'm going to stick with a car for 3-4 years from now I don't want to be stuck with 2011 tech in 2022!

I'll wait to hear confirmation from my SA/DS.

Reactions: Plug Life
I thought I saw something higher up on this thread about MCU2 in the wiring diagram, and on reddit it's on this post.

Well known user u/dirtyfries said:

And just browsing the sub every day, a lot of people close to folks at Tesla say an MCU swap to Intel chips and a Model S refresh is near. Just a lot of rumblings online.
I've been hearing these rumours of an imminent refresh for the past 10 months. Browsing the threads the ones who say they know people working on the inside are always saying it's been postponed to some nebulous far off date. A clock is right twice a day.

Reactions: HankLloydRight

I have a 3 and it's a night and day difference. Every time I drive my 3 there are two things I have to get used to when I get back in the S: the speedometer location and the screen responsiveness. I never truly felt that the MCU in my S was particularly slow, until I got my 3. Now it just feels really dated...
There were 2 members talking about new loaners. The first was @SummitX who noticed the improvement, the other was @ReturnZero stating he didn't notice any improvement, only the new vanity mirror. We haven't heard back from SummitX yet who's the one stating it's faster.

I've been hearing these rumours of an imminent refresh for the past 10 months. Browsing the threads the ones who say they know people working on the inside are always saying it's been postponed to some nebulous far off date. A clock is right twice a day.
I guess that's right. But the MCU refresh seems likely, it has been said to be imminent by more reliable sources.

The Model S refresh is more sketchy, a lot of people claim that they have a friend of a cousin that works at Tesla and they say it's happening soon, etc. I'm sure it's closer than it is far, but I don't think it's imminent.

I'm replacing my S at the end of the year so hopefully it happens before then, current rumors point to June but of course take that with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
There were 2 members talking about new loaners. The first was @SummitX who noticed the improvement, the other was @ReturnZero stating he didn't notice any improvement, only the new vanity mirror. We haven't heard back from SummitX yet who's the one stating it's faster.

Ah, got mixed up between the two. I guess it's not not confirmed to be true :)

But speaking from experience my X does lag more than my S, especially since the X has to bring up the extra menus/popups for the doors. It usually hangs when I put the car in park and I try to exit out of the popup menu or when I try to open doors. Or it could be that his original car has a USB stick plugged in, has a lot of nav entries, etc compared to a brand new car with nothing on it. I guess we'll find out (hopefully) soon!

I am just checking with the Google sheets on order/delivery - The VIN ReturnZero posted of the loaner is 244162, which seems to be produced in February.

There were two that were produced in March and delivered from @ryanltaylor3 (username doesn't exist) and @tostanford. However tostanford's says delivered on 3/14 which is today. I am guessing it's not delivered yet but will be later today. So, hopefully we can hear some news!

Reactions: ikjadoon and DDotJ
There were two that were produced in March and delivered from @ryanltaylor3 (username doesn't exist) and @tostanford. However tostanford's says delivered on 3/14 which is today. I am guessing it's not delivered yet but will be later today. So, hopefully we can hear some news!

Both @Astraviel and @taoxek said they're taking-delivery of their new cars tomorrow (Wendesday 14th March) so godspeed fellows! Tell us what you find! Remember to look for "x86" or "Arm" / "Armv7" in the web-browser's user-agent string!

Reactions: ikjadoon and DDotJ
That is my point exactly. They may have added liquid cooling with the new version of the MCU. If they did a retrofit would be more difficult.
If it's the Intel Atom processor, liquid cooling would be overkill. Atom chips are designed for fanless operation in Windows and Android (Unix) tablets and compact laptops. Nothing that's happening or will happen on the MCU screen is particularly processor intensive to the point that passive cooling would not be effective.

Hi all... Excited to finally join the family! I will be receiving my S75D today at 4pm. It went into production on 3/7 and was completed on 3/12. That is well into the month of March, which I believe after reading some of the posts in this thread, is the sweet spot. Once I pick up my vehicle this afternoon, the first thing I will test is the snappiness of the display. If there is anything in specific that you would like me to test (besides the obvious map) feel free to let me know. I'll keep everyone posted!

• Helpful
Reactions: Brettski
Hi all... Excited to finally join the family! I will be receiving my S75D today at 4pm. It went into production on 3/7 and was completed on 3/12. That is well into the month of March, which I believe after reading some of the posts in this thread, is the sweet spot. Once I pick up my vehicle this afternoon, the first thing I will test is the snappiness of the display. If there is anything in specific that you would like me to test (besides the obvious map) feel free to let me know. I'll keep everyone posted!
Test the browser

First-time post here!

Ordered a Model S on 1/27, confirmed 3 days later. My Model S 75D still says "Your Tesla order has been confirmed and scheduled for production in our factory." My VIN is 2468XX.

If talks of this new Intel MCU are true for the Model S, I really hope that mine has it. Maybe I'll email my Owner Advisor and ask him if I'll get it.
I’m slightly in front of you, VIN 2462XX. Hopefully we get the latest and greatest :p

Last edited:

Please post a screenshot of What's my user agent? on the MS MCU
that is non clickable: www dot whatsmyua dot info

In my case (on my desktop) this shows:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:58.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/58.0

"x64" is indicative of the architecture here. It should say x64 on an M3 and armv7 on a current MS/MX.