Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X minor refresh coming soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just saw that there is already a similar thread:

What I got from it:
  • RGB lighting
  • New yoke in October (corresponds probably to the increased price)
  • Later this year, early next
  • Lighter
  • More rigid
  • Better suspension
  • New performance option

Tesla has a policy of continous improvements. This means that when something new or better gets developed it is installed in production immediately, not waiting for a new model year or refresh.

There are always reports of new things or improvements...coming soon.

You can never purchase a future configuration. You just get what you get when your car rolls down the assembly line.

People that have FOMO will always be waiting for the next iteration of production.
Just purchased a 2023 MX. It will be old in 3 months. What are they changing on the Yoke?

Tesla up the yoke to 1k, I wonder if this might mean it's coming out with the DBW on the S/X?
Matrix light is already here with July builds. I hear rumors that 23 models are done and is working on 24 model releases.
Crossing my fingers I will be locked into one of the new ones with extra bits.
What are they changing on the Yoke for the price increase?

Reactions: NJturtlePower
Saw this earlier wonder what is in the works? Ugh and id love to have rgb ambient lighting. Sucks cause my S isn't even a month old yet :(

View attachment 951990
that’s great and all, and just a rumor, then again price may increase to 120+k again for minor changes, which is overpriced, as we all knew before and confirmed now that they can sell for less, e.g. $89,990.00 as of 9/7/23.

I would like to see update the Model S to have better range like the Lucid Air Grand Touring. I am surprised Tesla has not already done that just to have bragging rights and make it real range too, like BMW/Mercedes publish. They over achieve in their range while Tesla and Lucid under achieve.
range is irrelevant when charging is faster and available everywhere, not to mention the extra weight for a larger battery, until they get the solid state batteries right, which nobody knows when …
Edit: Tesla owners had the privilege of SC’s, not anymore as it’s being opened to non-Teslas.

• Disagree
Reactions: DBV1

Attachments

• IMG_9606.png
    IMG_9606.png
    739.8 KB · Views: 307
Unless there are major advances in battery tech, 500 mile range capability just adds a lot of weight to the car and won't benefit that many people. Stuff enough battery in the car and you could do that now. All that extra weight is going to hurt the performance a lot when you don't need the range.
This is true, assuming that batteries do not improve...

Considering improvements meantime achieved, it is defintively possible for Tesla to offer a range increase of 20/30% with the same battery weight.

Some people do not care. some other like me would appreciate and ready to buy it.

Let's talk about it once Zeekr 1 with 140 kWh battery and NIO with 150 kWh battery will be on the market...
If I recall it correctly, both car have a minor weitght increase (like 30 kg) from the 100 kWh version to the biggest one ,due to different updated technlolgy

I'd agree with you 100% 5 years ago regarding range boost when there weren't as many charging options where I drive. For me a solid 300 mph range at the speeds I drive is good enough. WIth the higher capacity you need better/faster chargers to really leverage that. Currently we have issues with just keeping up with the demand of cars now. Reliability of the overall network (non-Tesla) is a major issue.

Higher capacity batteries, unless at an 800 volt architecture or better, will just mean longer charging times and more waiting for others. More effort needs to be put into the charging network. On a recent 1000 mile trip (one way), my charging stops in my S only added about 40 extra minute to my drive time. That is more than the distance from Rome to Berlin. Charging wasn't a major issue for me or the time required. I just combined the charging with a rest stop or eating.

I won't see I am against the improvements, they are always good. How meaningful they are to most people will widely vary. My MY didn't have near enough range at the speeds I drove. Typically I'd be about 220 miles before I better charge soon. Around the city it was fine but for road trips I'll take my S.

Reactions: Rockstop
Higher capacity batteries, unless at an 800 volt architecture or better, will just mean longer charging times and more waiting for others. More effort needs to be put into the charging network.

I don't think so...
charging speed decreases as the SOC % increases.
Thus, the bigger is the battery, the more kWh can be charged at higher speed before charging speed decreases...
Anyway, we should not consider that a bigger battery capacity is simply obtained with a bigger battery with the same specs of the old one.
Evolution generally goes both in the sense to offer bigger capacity with the same weight and higher charging speed.

Looks like I got the last laugh. 😁

This is a grand example as to why you do research and stick to solid principles/fundamentals - not empty generic ones that people use to justify purchases.

I was literally a less than 12 hours away from picking up my model S at the time of that post.
You have to do what you think is best. I bought my MS LR and while I had a few things at delivery that were fixed fairly quickly, my only real complaint about the car was not meeting the claimed performance specs. It had absolutely no issues when I traded it in on my Plaid.

Fit and finish on this one was even better than my MS LR. I pretty much have no issues at all with the car. Might be the best car I've ever owned. Performance per dollar is pretty much untouched.

Having owned 4 Teslas so far, the only one I sold because I almost hated was the MY. It was because they removed radar and foisted TV on all of us. It had such phantom braking issues I pretty much hated it. No other major issues for me across all 4 cars. My M3 LR has been awesome. My MS LR had hundreds of hard acceleration runs and it never broke, never had a single issue once I fixed the rear camber. That doesn't seem to be an issue unless you are on 21's. The Plaid with the track pack brakes has been phenomenal and performance is incredible.

Hope you find what you are looking for. Every car has its warts and they can be quite overblown on the forum. I have no loyalty to any manufacturer and will buy what I think is best. So far the S is the best car for me in the class.

Reactions: NJturtlePower
Damnit, I was just about to pull the trigger on the model x cause the price is just too good! But I also would love RGB on the interior!

Do it! I just did after 5+ years of Model 3 life.

So many changes in even the 3 since my first one in 2018 and my current 2019, but was blown away by the current X offered at this price and incentives.

You'll never have the latest Tesla for even 6-months no matter how long you wait.

HUGE improvements from the last generation, been sharing this link around that's very detailed and updated often...last time was just last week.

Most recent for the X was HW4, Matrix Headlights and the larger rear screen with edge to edge design.

If I get anything "extra" by the time my order comes in great, if not I'll be more than happy with this significant upgrade from an "old" 2019 3.

Attachments

• Model X Order Edit.jpg
    Model X Order Edit.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 140
  • Model X 2023 Price Cuts.jpg
    Model X 2023 Price Cuts.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 140
It's easy to get caught up in the would of should of. Our decision was based on the transfer of FSD from the 2018 MX to the new 2023. Yes, next week, they did lower pricing but we was able to obtain an inventory car so to ensure delivery before the end of this month. Funny as it worked out, the 2023 MX plaid was same price we paid for the 2018 non performance. And now some other reasons for the trade in from the 2018 to the 2023.

2023 Plaid performance VS 2018 100D
Hardware 4 upgraded cameras / Gaming computer system 10 teraflops of processing power / Camera monitoring from App / Heat pump vs electric heater / Drag strip mode / Wireless Phone charging / 3 motors torque vectoring / 54 more miles / Red calipers / Active suspension / Did I mention Plaid / Yoke steering wheel / Third display for passenger / Landscape main screen / 22-speaker, 960-watt audio system / Multi-device music and media over Bluetooth / Tilting main screen / Ventilated A/C front seating / Front center console with sliding cup holders and storage / Sentry drive secure in glove box / Boombox features / Wireless and USB-C fast charging / Phone as a Key / Faster Internet Browser / New microphones enable Active Road Noise Reduction / May had forgot that it's a Plaid / New color Ultra Red / Optimized solar tinting / Ultraviolet and infrared protection on all glass / No stalks, no shifting / Faster Supercharging with latest battery pack / 7,920 cells / 1,020 hp / It's a Plaid.

As the refreshes continue to come, maybe 5 years from now, we'll do it again.

Can we leave the personal attacks out of this? This is generally a pretty chill forum with a lot of good info. It would be awesome to keep it that way.

I didn't buy in at the top or bottom of the Plaid pricing. Yeah, I could have gotten it a bit cheaper but I still love my car. I wouldn't have gone back those 6 months or so when I got my Plaid and do it all over. If I had waited, my track pack brakes would have gone up 5k as I don't want their wheels and tires. So I'd have the hassle of selling stuff I don't need to recoup some money.

I had a MS LR to trade in. My trade would have tanked, likely even more. Everyone's situation is different. I am not bemoaning the fact cars are 10 or 15k cheaper than when I bought. They depreciate. I am a big boy and move on. Every day I am out enjoying my car and not sitting on the sidelines thinking about when I should jump in. So they came down a bit more. Sure I don't like throwing money away but the Plaid was a screaming deal for the performance it offered when it came out at about $130k. Nothing currently offers the performance it does for the money, even when it was up to about 150k or wherever it peaked.

There is a lot of FOMO in this forum. It is basically paralysis by analysis. At some point, Tesla may drop the S and they'll all be worthless. Taycans have taken a huge hit on depreciation as well without the crazy price adjustments that Elon has done. I'll take my Plaid with track pack brakes over any Taycan currently offered. Sure I'd like Rimac Nevera but that isn't practical for a family. For me, the Plaid is the best option going in its class regardless of price.

If you don't like it, or it is too expensive, too cheap, or think it will depreciate more, don't buy one and move on. Find a better care/value/package/etc and buy it.

Because you delayed a purchase to wait another 9 months for an LED interior strip that will maybe be coming some day based on an unsubstantiated blog post?

The vindication must be palpable. 👍🏻
Unsubstantiated post....there will be a free RGB upgrade kit for those that were screwed out of STEAM, and game playing rear screens, and functional ARNR.