Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X Round Steering Wheel & Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Certainly will be driver dependent. Ymmv.

But even if some of the display is blocked the wheel seems to be a massive improvement over the incorrectly implemented yoke.
I sat in another while checking out the Cybertruck yesterday. I simply cannot see the top left or right of the screen with the steering wheel. Neither could @jebinc who was with me at the time, and is shorter than my 6’5” tallness.

Also, the steering wheel makes it more annoying to use the turn signals.

Anyway, frustrating. It’s clear that the car was designed around the yoke and that the wheel was just a response to the outcry. Just wish the car had been designed around a steering wheel in the first place. Sigh.

I sat in another while checking out the Cybertruck yesterday. I simply cannot see the top left or right of the screen with the steering wheel. Neither could @jebinc who was with me at the time, and is shorter than my 6’5” tallness.

Anyway, frustrating. It’s clear that the car was designed around the yoke and that the wheel was just a response to the outcry. Just wish the car had been designed around a steering wheel in the first place. Sigh.
I don't really remember this being an issue with the pre-refresh model S. I had one and I don't remember not being able to see part of the screen, or we just didn't care about it at the time. It's always been 12.3". I checked, the new IC screen is still the same size. I remember the pre-refresh wheel in the S was bigger than the model 3, but it wasn't huge... I think we just didn't care that part of the screen wasn't always visible.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc

Even if the screen is slightly obstructed, the driving experience with the wheel is so much better id never even consider the yoke again.

I don't really remember this being an issue with the pre-refresh model S. I had one and I don't remember not being able to see part of the screen, or we just didn't care about it at the time. It's always been 12.3". I checked, the new IC screen is still the same size. I remember the pre-refresh wheel in the S was bigger than the model 3, but it wasn't huge... I think we just didn't care that part of the screen wasn't always visible.
I think it's a combination of factors, - the seating position, and perhaps where the dash is in relation to the driver. I've driven the older S a few times, and never have an issue with anything cut off. Perhaps it's also a case of what was displayed not being so close to those upper edges. Either way, no issues for me on the older S.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
I think it's a combination of factors, - the seating position, and perhaps where the dash is in relation to the driver. I've driven the older S a few times, and never have an issue with anything cut off. Perhaps it's also a case of what was displayed not being so close to those upper edges. Either way, no issues for me on the older S.
I'm pretty sure the seating position in the old S was adjustable to be significantly lower.

Reactions: AAKEE
Seems like there's an easy free solution to those that want to upgrade from round to yoke (which costs $1000 at order time) or "upgrade" to round from yoke which costs $700 from Tesla. There are plenty that want to go each direction. The swap is fairly straight forward taking about 30 minutes. Folks just need to match themselves to parties that want to go the other drection.

Seems like there's an easy free solution to those that want to upgrade from round to yoke (which costs $1000 at order time) or "upgrade" to round from yoke which costs $700 from Tesla. There are plenty that want to go each direction. The swap is fairly straight forward taking about 30 minutes. Folks just need to match themselves to parties that want to go the other drection.
Yep. And the software portion can be done in service mode now, no need for toolbox

IMG_3863.jpeg

IMG_3864.jpeg

The new round steering wheel seems to be a modified yoke. Smaller than older version and you can't see the top of the small LCD screen (if you're taller) as you can with the old round steering wheel. It also, of course, lacks the physical buttons and center horn. So it's not the replacement people are looking for. It fixes the problem of putting a yoke steering wheel on a car without steer by wire though.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
It fixes the problem of putting a yoke steering wheel on a car without steer by wire though.

Which was never a problem for me. The yoke worked better for me given that I drive incorrectly at low speeds already :)

If it wasn't for the fact my wife hates the yoke and it now costs $1000, I'd order it again. I even prefer the signals on the steering wheel. I DON'T prefer the shifter on the screen but I can live with it.

Reactions: dsm363
Which was never a problem for me. The yoke worked better for me given that I drive incorrectly at low speeds already :)

If it wasn't for the fact my wife hates the yoke and it now costs $1000, I'd order it again. I even prefer the signals on the steering wheel. I DON'T prefer the shifter on the screen but I can live with it.
I'd be fine if they simply put physical buttons for shifter where the capacitive buttons are now. It'd be like the Roadster. But you have to tap the screen, wait a second for it to wake up, then can try again. Yeah, the screen isn't well implemented. Makes no sense to take up only 1/32nd of the screen to do that. Could make it easier to target with larger size since it disappears quickly anyway once you go into drive.

• Love
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I'd be fine if they simply put physical buttons for shifter where the capacitive buttons are now. It'd be like the Roadster. But you have to tap the screen, wait a second for it to wake up, then can try again. Yeah, the screen isn't well implemented. Makes no sense to take up only 1/32nd of the screen to do that. Could make it easier to target with larger size since it disappears quickly anyway once you go into drive.
What do you mean tap the screen, wait for it to wake up?

Oh I see. Right. I don’t know anyone who uses those buttons except in an emergency. Requires far more faffing about, as you noticed.
If they were physical buttons, it'd be maybe just as fast or even quicker than the screen. It's what the Roadster uses but slightly closer to where the armrest is (Roadster doesn't have an armrest though). It's the tapping the capacitive gear buttons, waiting for them to wake up, then selecting the gear which makes it less useful. There should be an option to leave them on.

Yep. And the software portion can be done in service mode now, no need for toolbox

View attachment 1000294

View attachment 1000292
Curious if anyone has been successful in updating between yoke/wheel configuration using the service mode and having the Tesla display the new yoke/wheel configuration? I gave this a try and did a power off/on but the AC visual still shows the round wheel instead of the yoke.

The new round steering wheel seems to be a modified yoke. Smaller than older version and you can't see the top of the small LCD screen (if you're taller) as you can with the old round steering wheel. It also, of course, lacks the physical buttons and center horn. So it's not the replacement people are looking for. It fixes the problem of putting a yoke steering wheel on a car without steer by wire though.

We presume the center horn is coming soon since the EPC now shows it for the S/X. A soon as that happens, it is the replacement my wife is looking for.

We presume the center horn is coming soon since the EPC now shows it for the S/X. A soon as that happens, it is the replacement my wife is looking for.

In theory would this be a part swap out (keep original steering wheel) or an entire new steering wheel? I hope they go back to the original size so you can see the LCD screen behind it easier.