Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X Round Steering Wheel & Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+1 from the above experience as I had my wheel installed 2 weeks ago. I deliberated for a few months as I also thought "the yoke isn't so bad" but after swapping it's a massive improvement in driving ease IMO. For those on the fence, highly recommend pulling the trigger. Also kept the yoke for a cool garage ornament / conversation piece.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
This is the 8th car I've owned in the 32 years since I've had my license. Every one of them modified to some degree, from ECU tunes and downpipes/exhausts, to wheels, brake upgrades, Euro light mods, etc. Never have I looked forward to installing a part more than this!

Tech wasn't sure whether he was allowed to leave the Yoke with me. I told him that was definitely the case. Since he did not have instructions to the contrary, he let me keep it AND the airbag. Review to follow but we already know the conclusion!

Attachments

• IMG_0681.jpeg
    IMG_0681.jpeg
    531.6 KB · Views: 457
  • IMG_0682.jpeg
    IMG_0682.jpeg
    381.4 KB · Views: 113
Reactions: gorilla83
I posted in another thread a bit about this but I just put my Hansshow wheel on. It feels so much better than the Tesla wheel I had. It doesn't obscure the display in front. See attached crappy picture for my view when driving.

IMG_9984.jpg

Reactions: StevenSD
I posted in another thread a bit about this but I just put my Hansshow wheel on. It feels so much better than the Tesla wheel I had. It doesn't obscure the display in front. See attached crappy picture for my view when driving.

View attachment 940794

That really does look good — but there’s no way I can bring myself to install a Hansshow anything. Given the atrocious quality and customer service around some of their other products (power frunk for example) …. I just can’t bring myself to do it.

That said - it’s by far the best looking aftermarket wheel I’ve seen yet. I am jealous of that!

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Fundamentally, I am with you @dmurphy regarding Hansshow. I heard about a lot of that but there wasn't another wheel option at the time. I have to say it has been excellent in use. I have a very small gap between the trim and the wheel but not enough to worry about. As I mentioned in another thread it might be as a result of my son having used the wheel. I can only see it when the wheel is off the car.

The leather is good. Overall fit is good other than that small gap I mentioned. I'd give overall quality an 8 but that is compared to the 5 of the factory wheel. As far as feel, it is a solid 10 for me. It works the best of any wheel I've used on a Tesla including my 3. I'd rate the yoke as a 4, the replacement wheel a 6, the wheel on the 3/Y a 7 or 8, and definitely a 10 for the Hansshow. It absolutely feels how I would want my wheel to feel when driving.

Somehow they got the proportions right. It doesn't block anything that I am aware of. I am taller and it works for me whereas the factory wheel did block some stuff. The leather feels great. I don't think I could go back to the factory wheel after this. To Hansshow's credit, they really nailed it.

my quick assessment half a day later: works exactly like a steering wheel should! Car is infinitely more controllable and I'm now realizing just how tentatively I've been driving the car because of my lack of confidence in really pushing it around turns with the Yoke. No blockage of the dash from my seating settings and all of the buttons are working so far, as is the heating element. The slightly narrower width of the bottom portion of the steering wheel also means my legs don't brush it at all entering the vehicle, which was not the case with the Yoke. In fact, with only about 6k miles on the car to date, my Yoke was already showing signs of wear on the bottom left corner. T

Two negatives, both minor annoyances more than anything. The worm is even more pronounced on the new steering wheel than it was on my Yoke. Wife's comment was "why does your new steering wheel have a penis vein?" And I have a magnetic mount attached to the left of the main display for my cell phone for Waze use. The new wheel significantly impedes the view of the phone there and I'll now have to look at relocating it to the top of the display (horizontally) or place a pad down on the charging bay when I don't need the phone to charge. Is that a thing, by the way? Any harm on a modern day phone (iPhone 14 Pro Max) fully charged sitting on a charger?

Wheel just barely extends in front of the bottom left corner of the display. From my seating settings, it would not impede visibility of the display. Just getting out of my garage this am and turning onto our street and then maneuvering out of our neighborhood which involves a couple of traffic circles and then a right turn onto the main thoroughfare and accelerating briskly as I made the turn was a 100% improvement over the Yoke. I am currently exploring ways to mount that thing in my garage above a sign that says "designed for people who don't like driving."

my quick assessment half a day later: works exactly like a steering wheel should! Car is infinitely more controllable and I'm now realizing just how tentatively I've been driving the car because of my lack of confidence in really pushing it around turns with the Yoke. No blockage of the dash from my seating settings and all of the buttons are working so far, as is the heating element. The slightly narrower width of the bottom portion of the steering wheel also means my legs don't brush it at all entering the vehicle, which was not the case with the Yoke. In fact, with only about 6k miles on the car to date, my Yoke was already showing signs of wear on the bottom left corner. T

Two negatives, both minor annoyances more than anything. The worm is even more pronounced on the new steering wheel than it was on my Yoke. Wife's comment was "why does your new steering wheel have a penis vein?" And I have a magnetic mount attached to the left of the main display for my cell phone for Waze use. The new wheel significantly impedes the view of the phone there and I'll now have to look at relocating it to the top of the display (horizontally) or place a pad down on the charging bay when I don't need the phone to charge. Is that a thing, by the way? Any harm on a modern day phone (iPhone 14 Pro Max) fully charged sitting on a charger?

Wheel just barely extends in front of the bottom left corner of the display. From my seating settings, it would not impede visibility of the display. Just getting out of my garage this am and turning onto our street and then maneuvering out of our neighborhood which involves a couple of traffic circles and then a right turn onto the main thoroughfare and accelerating briskly as I made the turn was a 100% improvement over the Yoke. I am currently exploring ways to mount that thing in my garage above a sign that says "designed for people who don't like driving.
Totally agree with everything. I also find myself drive way more "aggressive" with the steering wheel. The Yoke makes the car feel heavy and less controllable.

Wheel just barely extends in front of the bottom left corner of the display. From my seating settings, it would not impede visibility of the display. Just getting out of my garage this am and turning onto our street and then maneuvering out of our neighborhood which involves a couple of traffic circles and then a right turn onto the main thoroughfare and accelerating briskly as I made the turn was a 100% improvement over the Yoke. I am currently exploring ways to mount that thing in my garage above a sign that says "designed for people who don't like driving."
Worm or penis vein! Maybe we need a poll. 🤣

Reactions: brooklyn
+1 one on all of the comments about the wheel over the yoke. I haven't found it blocking any content on the screen although I think they can improve the layout now that sanity has prevailed and the wheel is the default option.

I would say that I think "sport" steering feels a little too light now and I hope they tighten the weight up in subsequent updates.

Reactions: VikH
Happy with the change (other than the symbology) ?

Turns are definitely lot easier now but I feel like front dash display, ie speed limit is being blocked now by the wheel ☹️

With yoke, turn signal buttons were easier to spot, with round wheel, I keep looking for the turn signal stalk for some reason! I guess I just need to get used to it.

Turns are definitely lot easier now but I feel like front dash display, ie speed limit is being blocked now by the wheel ☹️

With yoke, turn signal buttons were easier to spot, with round wheel, I keep looking for the turn signal stalk for some reason! I guess I just need to get used to it.
Thanks very much for the Answer.

I guessed it might block the screen. I haven’t tried sitting in a S with the new wheel, yet.

I bought a Plaid in stock with the yoke recently (only one in Ultra red in stock, had the yoke).
I did get the S3XY Buttons, moubted back of the yoke for easier blinkers, and one below the airbak on the yoke for the horn.
Seem to work ok, I’ll give it a month or so to learn and evaluate. Its less bad than I thought it would be.

The only concern with the round wheel is the issue that it might be blocking the display.

Reactions: DX-MS21

I guessed it might block the screen. I haven’t tried sitting in a S with the new wheel, yet.

I bought a Plaid in stock with the yoke recently (only one in Ultra red in stock, had the yoke).
I did get the S3XY Buttons, moubted back of the yoke for easier blinkers, and one below the airbak on the yoke for the horn.
Seem to work ok, I’ll give it a month or so to learn and evaluate. Its less bad than I thought it would be.

The only concern with the round wheel is the issue that it might be blocking the display.

Tech did let me keep the yoke and airbag, so I can always switch back to yoke if don’t like round wheel. Will try it out for few weeks.

I had the factory wheel to replace my yoke. The was some blocking of the display but for me it was minimal. It cut of just a bit of the speed limit sign. The rest was easy to see.

I am driving an MX LR right now with a yoke while my S is in for service. Very interesting to do an A/B comparison of the controls. The yoke wasn't as bad as I remembered but maybe I am driving the X more sedately than I do my S or 3. I will definitely take the wheel though over the yoke. Again I definitely like the Hansshow wheel better than the Tesla one.

I am just now partially understanding other things I don't like about the yoke. For me the wheel is more involving in some way. Maybe it is old muscle memory, I am not sure. It speaks to a part of the driving experience I equate with the cars that have been fun to drive in my life more than the yoke. When sitting behind the yoke, I feel like I am at the controls of a video game. It isn't like Tesla dialed in the wheel feedback like a Porsche or BMW so that just adds to the feeling.

Some may like the feeling of being at a video game console. The Tesla is already less involving in some ways (some say soulless) due to its EV core and the yoke just adds to that feeling for me. A high revving ICE motor still sends tingles down my spine and likely always will. I don't need any fake noise pumped in the cockpit but there are times I miss the feel of snapping off a perfectly executed shift no matter how much quicker the Plaid is. Sometimes the lack of involvement in the Plaid can be almost boring. It goes so quickly it is like cheating. For me the yoke is a reminder of how much driving it can feel like a video game at times. It often doesn't require a lot of finesse to go fast. It was interesting watching my kids transition from the video console to actually driving a car. A Tesla would have made the transition a lot easier but they would have missed learning some skills too.

For a more engaging EV, I have to say I'll be closely following the 2024 Hyundai Ioniq 5 N. It might cause me to part with my 3. More about it here.

I just got retrofit round steering wheel installed today. Are the images/icons supposed to be updated from yoke to round wheel? My car still shows yoke on the screen.
From my experience, you should have seen the updated icons by the time the car was returned to you. In my case, the Mobile Tech plugged in his laptop and did all the necessary coding/software update, then had me walk away far enough from the car for it to disconnect/arm/turn-off before getting back in and confirming that the updates had been made. At that point all of my icons had switched over from Yoke to round wheel. This was all before he packed up and left my driveway.

From my experience, you should have seen the updated icons by the time the car was returned to you. In my case, the Mobile Tech plugged in his laptop and did all the necessary coding/software update, then had me walk away far enough from the car for it to disconnect/arm/turn-off before getting back in and confirming that the updates had been made. At that point all of my icons had switched over from Yoke to round wheel. This was all before he packed up and left my driveway.
All good after I rebooted the car.