Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 2021 refresh: Road noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Specifically how are you getting dB levels? A phone app? Are you using frequency weighting profile "A"? I have been trying to measure my car and noticed it's hard to be consistent. Also I was recently reminded just shifting noise from one range of frequencies to another can greatly affect perceived noise even if the dB readings are the same. (For instance the point of putting foam lining in the tires was to decrease "balloon" type noise which is concentrated around a narrow band of frequencies, something people find pretty noticeable. When testers measured the tires they claimed the foam had no effect but that was based on dB not subjective experience..)

Well, OK, the person being queried in the OP of this thread isn't responding here, per se, but does continue to share new information on the topic over on the massive 'waiting room' thread..
Sound tests on the highway, same stretch, 70 mph, all tires properly inflated, same app and phone (pixel 4a with Sound Meter app in Google play pass)
2020 Jeep Compass: 72 db average (both times, last time and today)
2021 Model X: 71 db average (The X has a db average of 55 at a stand still with 5 on the fan and recirc on for comparison)
2018 Model 3: 73 db average

Of course I tried to start a whole thread on just this exact topic a long time ago, but anyway, I'm sure future visitors curious about all this will eventually find what they are looking for..

Has Tesla enabled the ANC in the S and X yet? Supposedly all or part of the gear (mics, processors, speakers, etc.) were in the vehicle, but the software was not ready yet. But given the missing USB ports on the Y I have some doubts about this being a software-only fix.